• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why do some of you say the Kemper is a lot better for amp tones or effects than the Helix?

Billy Moss

Does the Kemper have a better processor?

Line 6 has been modeling for a long time now. So why do you like the Kemper tones better?

AndrewSimon

Why do some of you say the Kemper is a lot better for amp tones or effects than the Helix?

Why don't you try one and see if you agree?

The processor is only one element in a complex system, a profiler works differently then a modeler.
Maybe a profiler needs less raw processor power to achieve the same goal.
Maybe it's much more efficient so you can achieve more with less.

;)

Rayf

Helix user for over 3 years. Love the Helix and love the way line 6 supports it and integrates it with other products.

That said, I bought a Kemper a few months ago because I had to hear the difference for myself. Its not night and day and the people who say one unit is in another league are way over exaggerating. But, I do prefer Kemper amp profiles to anything I was able to set up on my own in Helix. I'll blame myself before I blame Helix but the stuff I thought was good like Marshall's, Supro, Matchless, Vox, etc was noticeably better on the Kemper. Fender amps may be a little better but certainly closer to the Helix. What I suspect the difference is is that I have a lot of experience with different Fender amps. Not so much with the other ones. At the end of the day though I can pick one great Kemper profile, adjust the definition and be on my way, no more constant tweaking.

I plan to keep the Helix. The effects are amazing sans reverb which Kemper takes care of. Plus the midi integration eliminates the need to ever have the Kemper controller.

Oh, and as far as processor goes, profile files are tiny. I imagine the DSP needed for those is insignificant compared to running the reverbs. It's not like comparing dsp horsepower between line 6 and fractal.

Holdsworthy

Having a better processor is one part of the equation, but having more efficient code can overcome the limitations of having a sub-standard processor (this is likely why the Helix has 2 processors; they are that bad). That being said, the Helix coders are some of the best. The Line 6 internship program is known for its development of coders (they have no choice but to focus on that area, given the limitations of their processors).

Steely Glen

Silver Supporting Member
I was a long-time L6 user (POD bean, POD XT Live, HD500, Firehawk and then Helix). I really liked the Helix but tried a Kemper and eventually switched about 18 months ago. I’m now 100% Kemper.

For me, it was very much a feel thing. The Kemper feels dramatically softer. The amps react to playing dynamics more realistically and compress in a more amp-like manner. The final product also has a more “finished” sound to my ears. And it’s easier to get great tones right out of the box. And I love the idea of having any amp on the planet available, if you can profile it.

I’m not going to knock Helix. It has a lot going for it. The U/I is significantly better than Kemper. And it’s cheaper.

Just for me, the Kemper yields a better final product.

Billy Moss

BTW, I had a Vetta when they first came out and I loved the amp, but I sold it like I sell everything else.

Can any of you tell which one is A B or C.

I can't.

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Kemper but I have to say the Trainwreck (Derailed Ingrid) in Helix might be my favorite amp in any platform. That model just sounds sooooo good, and when you slap the Klon in front it’s pure bliss.

Gtrbldr

Helix user for over 3 years. Love the Helix and love the way line 6 supports it and integrates it with other products.

That said, I bought a Kemper a few months ago because I had to hear the difference for myself. Its not night and day and the people who say one unit is in another league are way over exaggerating. But, I do prefer Kemper amp profiles to anything I was able to set up on my own in Helix. I'll blame myself before I blame Helix but the stuff I thought was good like Marshall's, Supro, Matchless, Vox, etc was noticeably better on the Kemper. Fender amps may be a little better but certainly closer to the Helix. What I suspect the difference is is that I have a lot of experience with different Fender amps. Not so much with the other ones. At the end of the day though I can pick one great Kemper profile, adjust the definition and be on my way, no more constant tweaking.

I plan to keep the Helix. The effects are amazing sans reverb which Kemper takes care of. Plus the midi integration eliminates the need to ever have the Kemper controller.

Oh, and as far as processor goes, profile files are tiny. I imagine the DSP needed for those is insignificant compared to running the reverbs. It's not like comparing dsp horsepower between line 6 and fractal.
Thuis completely mirrors my experience. Went the same route: had the helix for years and bougt a Kemper about 6 months ago. Love the helix, and it is going nowhere. Buy it is not my main gigging solution anymore.

That being said: for higher gain tones I still really like the helix for that. Love the Archetype in Helix.

Lele

"Why do some of you say the Kemper is a lot better for amp tones or effects than the Helix?"

Maybe for the same reason some say the opposite...
Different taste, different targets, different types of the same awesome devices to make good music (and bad, too).

Profile files are just the settings for the internal amp models. They aren’t the models themselves.

mikekim

Each person will come up with a different answer, as everyone's needs are different.

I have a Kemper and I use it with pedalboards, so I'm only using the amp tones not the built in effects. Basically the Kemper is set and forget pretty much once you have loaded up your profile. (after setting presence and EQ to taste)
I don't use the "Factory profiles" and only have 30 profiles loaded on my system (6 different amp models - each containing between 4-6 gain stages that i need).

Tried the Helix and found I spent more time fiddling with parameters than actually spent playing. I still might pickup a Stomp for a mini travel rig.

Its up to you to try them both, and see which one fits your requirements / way of working best.