Why do strat builders not ground the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone else have the periodic problem of static electricity in their strats? It comes from rubbing the fingers against the pickguard while you're playing in dryer climates. It's an easy fix but it's surprising how many builders ignore this.

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've never noticed it on my Strat style guitars, but my Lentz DL-90 does this. It can be somewhat annoying, especially when playing at lower volumes.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

A lot of strats have foil on the pickguard which is grounded. That eliminates the problem. Even at louder volumes it's a problem because the static is sensed by the pickups and goes through the amp. Very annoying. It's also more prevalent with older materials. Some modern plastics don't transmit static electricity...But some do...

4. jay42

jay42 Member

My original '82 Fender Stratocaster had foil under the entire pickguard and a lug at one screw location which was grounded.

5. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

My Strat has a solid aluminum pickguard that acts like a humongous shield.

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I think it may be somewhat regional as well. In Florida, with avg humidity of.... well LOTS, it has never been a problem on any Strat (10 or so) I've owned down here. When I lived up north (Washington, D.C.) I had one Strat, it had static. I put a gold anodized PG and problem solved. Wiping them down with unscented (or if you like your guitar all nice and flowery use scented) Bounce sheets.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

One of my parts tele's has this problem. This is the first guitar I've ever owned that does it.

I bought a copper adhesive sheet for it and will put it on next time I change strings.

Yes, it's annoying.

8. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

I run into this promblem a lot with my Grosh tele, and I'm in Florida too! I'll have to try the Bounce sheets, that sounds like a good suggestion.

9. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I have had that problem but when I sheilded it, it lost something. Bounce does work and gives that scatter wound tone goodness shine.

10. Number8

Number8 Member

Never worried about that stuff. My latest strat style guitar has EMG's in it and they don't need a shield.

11. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Yeah shielding it took away from the tone sparkle,so now I just use antistatic dryer sheets and they work for awhile.:agree

12. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Shilelding a pickguard or its cavities will have no effect on static produced when fingers touch the pickguard. I shielded a strat with copper foil and it produces pickguard static. I have a Les Paul that produced no static (that I can remember) with covered pickups, but produces them now after changing to uncovered pickups, and I also shielded the pickguard with copper foil and grounded it, but it did not help. It appears that when static is generated it enters the circuitry through uncovered pickups.