Why do we focus on such minutiae?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

an awesome example of deep over-generalising, stereotyping & under-categorising!

in response:
    not just me:
    not my hobby.
    not engaged with retail therapy.
    not interested in exaggerating, badgering, lying, trolling & otherwise making "bigger deals of things than necessary".

Lotus and James like this.
  2. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

Imho, the things that aren't discussed or that people turn a blind eye to are more dangerous.

hippieboy likes this.
  3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Minutiae is one of those words with multiple meanings: "the small, precise, or trivial details of something."

Something can be small and precise, yet trivial.

Something can also be small and precise, yet meaningful.​

Our discussions here, very often, are over whether the something at hand now falls into the former or latter category.

Such discussions are themselves not trivial but meaningful!

4. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

All I can add is that I find it deeply disturbing that OCD is now considered a disorder that some think is so beneficial that it's worth pointing out they are afflicted with it....even if they aren't!

"Missing the Forest for the Trees." is not something one should strive for.

5. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

I'll take your unprompted, taking-it-too-personally response as evidence you either A) totally do all those things or B) are looking for an argument. You can sort it out yourself on my ignore list.

6. rsm

rsm Member

:knitting

soo, what yarn is your favorite, and what knitting needles do you prefer?

hippieboy, FbIsNotE and songtalk like this.
  7. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Ha! What kind of AMATEUR knits? Get back to me when you grow up and learn to Crochet!!!!!

Am i doing it right? ;)

hippieboy, rsm and rizla like this.
  8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

oh, ok. i'm sorry?
    NB that, to boot, we're not all anonymous, here..... though many choose to be so.

in any case, i don't A), and wasn't B).
    i might have been attempting to elicit further D)iscussion
    but, as you decided, i will go C).

did you maybe just make "a bigger deal of a thing than necessary", though?
    ???
    your choice.
    enjoy your music!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Blackmoreguitar and tobereleased like this.
  9. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

It's all degrees, but yeah, it can be absolutely debilitating.

10. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Because it's all subjective. A membership that varies as wildly in experience, skill, taste, means, goals, etc. as we do, is always going to be searching for common ground. That leads to the endless debates and opinions that "plague" TGP. I see the crappy side of disrespect, but i also see the usefulness of the information that comes from the debates. Take out of it only what you need to make informed decisions about what YOU need to realize your own goals, and it becomes much more enjoyable.

Make decisions for yourself, that are in alignment with your goals, and try your best to ignore it when someone tries to belittle you because your decisions and goals don't line up with their own.

The flip side is this: don't always automatically feel like opinions directed at you or something you like are meant to be derogatory. Sometimes we really are trying to help each other, some members are just better at voicing it than others.

I love my Squier Deluxe Strat and Keeley Dark Side. They are perfect for what my goals are at this point in time. However, it's a GOOD thing to watch everyone debate the validity of such gear and be educated as to why they might not line up with future goals. At least it's a good thing when the debate goes beyond "They suck, you need X and Y to be any good" without giving a whole lot of justification as to why.

hippieboy likes this.
  11. Jessica

Jessica Member

I was re-watching Mad Men last night and there was an episode where Peggy wrote copy for Belle Jolie lipstick.

There was a big tray of lipstick for the women in the office to test --all different shades-- and she refrained from taking one and just sat down instead.

When asked why she didn't pick one, she replied that her shade was taken. "Well why don't you just get another color? There are so many. You could probably find one that's similar."

"Because that's my preferred shade. There are over 100 shades, yes. But that one is mine. That shade is me. No woman wants to feel like one of a hundred. She wants to feel unique, irreplaceable... like a signature."

I think there's some of that at play with musicians and their gear too.

12. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I've hung around here for years to distract myself from my music. Plenty of minutiae to go around but no more discretionary income:(

hippieboy likes this.
  13. ES330

ES330 Member

Textbook example of over-thinking !!!!

hippieboy likes this.
  14. shayneallen

shayneallen Supporting Member

OR....because the differences in certain pieces of gear matter to people, and a place where people discuss such differences can be useful.

hippieboy, MrMoose and Kevy_Metal like this.
  15. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I've never argued about string gauges, so I've got that going for me.

I'm more than happy to obsess about tone and pedals, especially now that I can hear things in a way that I never did during the years when I didn't know any better. Sure, I can get caught up in a pedal GAS situation from time to time, but I'm also good at spotting those times as they happen and keeping my head. I enjoy playing and hearing what my fingers are doing a lot more now because of what I know and what I've obsessed over to get to that point.

hippieboy likes this.
  16. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some of that at play with musicians and their riffs/licks/songwriting style...but I digress

hippieboy likes this.
  17. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Member

To distract ourselves from the fact that we're going to die, and probably soon once our wives find out how much we just spent on a bag of picks.

MIM#1, Kevy_Metal and hippieboy like this.
  18. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Personally, I love TGP, it's the one place on earth I can come to to ask absolutely any question my excitable brain can come up with - and get it answered thoroughly, by people who are a lot like me, it's great! :) I've found out about countless pieces of gear here and learnt more than I can put into words. Yes, it's not perfect, there are always people who wanna tear someone down for something they like or purchased, but on the whole I think the fact that many people here obsess over the minutae is fantastic - cos it makes it a great place to come when you're looking to put a question forth to a bunch of people who have a deep pool of knowledge about every little detail of this stuff. I would say TGP has saved me many many years of searching and has helped me to become really well informed about things that I find important. My 2c. :)

Kevy_Metal, blue62, Abram4235 and 3 others like this.
  19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Great answers guys, some very insightful, I've enjoy reading your thoughts on this matter, thanks for sharing.

MrMoose likes this.
  20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

For a fascinating outside-of-the-box look at OCD, consider Xenocide by Orson Scott Card.

[​IMG]

rizla, HERSCHEL and hippieboy like this.