Why do we get stupid when we drive?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Harryq, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Harryq

Harryq Member

Yesterday I came close to winning the " Who's the biggest dumbass on the road today award ". I was driving home from the big city on a four lane highway. I was in the right lane and had just entered a 45 mph zone about to enter a small town. About 500 yards ahead the speed limit drops to 35 and traffic merges to the left. I'm doing about 49 and am overtaking a car in the left lane. Without thinking, I just assume I'll overtake the car and merge well before we get to the neccesary spot. As I come along side the car, I realize I'm not passing him, he sped up to keep me from doing that. Without thought, I gas my truck to pass, and he, of course speeds up. Pretty soon we're both doing 60 in a 45 about to turn 35 and merge to the left. I realize I've entered the stupid zone and let up on the gas. He turned off in town, but I'm ashamed to admit, if he got out on the open road past town doing 55, I was planning to pass him whatever it took, which is also stupid. Does any one have any wisdom to impart, other than to tell me I am stupid (which I am).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

You should have shot him.

3. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

It's really petty when people do that. Bask in the fact that it was probably the highlight of his year but just another tricky day for you.

4. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

It's not just when we drive, sir. Let's be honest with ourselves.

This is the only real wisdom I can impart to anyone.

5. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

This is the result of an " overtake the car and merge " situation. :nono

[​IMG]

6. madstrat

madstrat Member

I drive a commercially marked pick-up for work now....so I drive like a granny;

The 975 an hour attorney ads I hear on sports talk radio has made all commercial vehicles easy targets...

But when I had my M3, nobody and I mean nobody cut me off. Yes I was that guy.

7. Harryq

Harryq Member

I realize this was fairly minor when it comes to driving issues, though it could have gotten a lot worse. I just find it amazing how fast you can go from an average day to feeling like you're in a bad B movie with Dennis Hopper and Warren Oates!

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

The same reason we become a**holes while commenting on YouTube videos - we're isolated (or so we believe) in a little cocoon that doubles as a fantasy amplification space where we see ourselves acting out this or that role and winning winning winning.

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Watch a marathon of Russian dashcam crash vids on YouTube. Remind yourself of the laws of physics. Driving is the riskiest thing most of us do.

10. Pitar

Pitar Member

All people lose patience with each the second we sit behind the wheel. The entire world is in front of us slowing us down. No better example comes to mind than old guys with big Buicks who proceed to drive them hurtfully slow on a single lane road right in front of me.

Like that guy up there says, though, it extends to all facets of life. In line at the grocery store I silently laugh at the crap the person in line ahead of me actually buys and that alone is not worth my wait. Then there's the wait at the restaurant while I wait for people at tables finished with their meals gabbing away. Don't even bother me with the stupid DIY guy who doesn't understand a word the store employee is explaining to him about his sprinkler, or electrical, or yard implement, or plumbing problem(s) while I wait to get help finding something.

But, the girl scout cookies just arrived so I feel better now.

11. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

My friend is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools, he can fix it. :D

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Social insulation.

Same reason many internet guys seems pretty douchey, but if you met those same guys in real life, many of them would be pretty nice.

13. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Because we're all just proving exactly why we WON'T be operating vehicles in the near future. Human beings are too stupid to drive well on a consistent basis.

It will happen.
    That dude who just cut you off just means it will happen even faster...

14. 5992

5992 Member

"That'll buff right out."

15. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Go drive in Florida. Everything's a flat road, and people think driving in neighborhoods like Coral Springs is like the Autobahn.

Insane.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, don't do that again.

17. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

Makes me wonder what was going on in the other guy's head to make him think it was ok to endanger another driver's life with such a stupid action:huh

J.R.

18. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

If the meaning of life is "learn to get along with other people",
    The test will be a driving test.

19. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

It has ever been thus...

20. hellbender

hellbender Member

If you decide to pass someone and they speed up, isn't the other driver meeting your requirement so you don't have to pass? Or did you make a judgement that the other driver was slow and thus must be disposed of regardless of his compliance to your wishes?

Sounds like he offended you.