Why do you like the TS808 (reissue)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SeanKangataran, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

I bought the TS808 at Christmas. Sold it today. I liked it in Guitar Center, but could never find a setting at home or in rehearsal that didn't make the guitar sound thin, honky in the mids, and sound like a toy (running thinline tele into deluxe reverb).

But this is a crazy popular pedal?!

Seriously, why.

The only time I ever liked it in use was stacked with a Big Muff Pi and Empress Paraeq to make high gain fuzz.

I can't be the only one that thought this.

2. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

if you expected medium/high gain, this isn't the pedal. the ts808 really shines in a live setting with a band. when i first got mine, i was a little disappointed because it didn't have enough grit like my blues driver. it will always be disappointing at bedroom levels. crank your amp, then turn it on. it adds a little grit, and a ton of warmth.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I think TS pedals sound best into a loud amp, preferably breaking up a bit, with the pedal's volume high and gain low. I don't miss the low end with a band, but I also really like mids.

4. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

yeah..i forgot to mention that. this pedal is KNOWN for it's mids!

5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I have had times where the only OD that would cut through the mix without having to dime the volume is the TS. Great for punching through for an intro, outro solo, riff, etc.

6. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

What sort of music do you play, Sean? What tones are you after?

7. Zero G

Zero G Member

I don't. I like the Green Rhino much better.

8. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

I often have a TS808 on my board and feel it does 3 things very well: Boosting/tightening up high gain modern metal type amps, stacking with other more transparent pedals for medium/high gain and lastly to add those mids for the times you really need to cut through the mix. By itself, as a lowish gain overdrive into a clean or slightly dirty amp though it's pretty poor in my opinion.

9. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

I tried using it in rehearsals (full volume) but found I was only using it to justify it being there and was always reluctant to tap it for "lead" parts, it would just make the guitar sound small and kill the sound...

@Jacknamara87 yeah, your last sentence is pretty much how I was using it.

@Kevinfinn, new sound guitar wise is a little Joey Santiago (Pixies), or Interpol, or even Joy Division in parts.

I guess I'll just chalk it down to lack of experience, it just sounded honky and killed all the muscle in my sound. I have a naturally very bright sounding tele but the lows come through like a roar.

10. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

FWIW, it took me a while to find the best use for my FD2, which is pretty similar to a TS sound wise. I first tried using it into a pretty clean amp, with the pedal's gain cranked, and it sounded terrible, and weaker, as you described. However, with low gain/high volume, into a dirty amp, it really screams!

11. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

@axxa, i.e. use it as a clean boost pedal. ;-)

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

+1 This is the way to run a TS pedal. I also like it boosting another overdrive or a big muff. I also really like a TS for boosting an amps dirty channel.

I like it as the only dirt into a clean amp, but this is not really where it shines and there are other pedals I like better as the only dirt into a clean amp...

13. lonniedarko

lonniedarko Member

Could you perhaps give some examples?

Thanks!

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

A Zendrive for example.

15. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

This is interesting. All three of these bands have in common that they don't rely much on effects where guitar is concerned. And two of the three use ZVEX's Super Hard On pedal to push amps harder (Pixies and Interpol).

So it makes sense you want a more transparent and amp-like dirt.

If I was you, I'd either replace that Tubescreamer with something that has a blend knob so your clean is present too (check out the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod - still a Tubescreamer at the core, but tonal options abound), or I'd go to a pedal with a more full sonic spectrum altogether. Personal favorites include: Visual Sound's Open Road, Boss's OD-3, Paul C's Timmy, and Crowther Audio's Hotcake.

If you have an amp that can be pushed and you don't need too much dirt, you may want to look into the Super Hard On yourself.

16. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

i finally got to play my green rhino through a nice strat today into a boss blues driver it was magical. I tend to keep vol/tone/gain around 10:30-11:00, 100hz around 1-1:30ish and curve to taste don't really hear to much of a difference with that knob. i run that pedal into a blues driver with vol/tone around 10:30-11:00 and gain around 1:00 with great results.

I've never played a actual 808 but i have owned before green rhino a digitech bad monkey, and boss sd-1 super overdrive.

17. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

Tubescreamer into blues driver is indeed a delicious combo.

18. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Not quite, because it still cuts some bass, boosts some mids, and affects the highs depending on your tone knob setting. The FD2's (or TS's) character is still shaping the sound, unlike a clean boost with a flat/neutral EQ. Also, some clipping is still introduced, even at a low gain setting (like 8:00). For my use, it is certainly being used as a boost, albeit a dirty boost.

I love many boosts, but they're all really different sounding to me, the only thing they have in common is boosting the amp's input with volume. Perhaps a clean boost would be closer to what you're looking for?

19. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I love the TS808RI with the volume maxed, drive at 9 and tone around 1-3 o'clock. Just has that classic lead tone, very thick and full.

20. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

You're very sharp... Although I do currently have a Big Muff Pi on the board (probably changing it for an Empress Multidrive soon), I'm a huge fan of the tone I already have and simply like hearing that sound being stressed.

I put myself on Paul Cochrane's waiting list in December and have been oogling Zvex SHO's in the past few weeks (without even knowing that those guys used it!)... I'd nearly accuse you of going through my browser's history with your list of recommendations!