Why does a Tyler sound like that?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ed Reed, May 13, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have or have had Fenders, a Suhr, Warmoths and even All Parts guitars. They all sound like a strat pretty much, just some much better than the others.

This is my question, why does a Tyler have so much dark mids? Most Strats are bright but my Tylers is warm and very mid heavy. Why is that?

2. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

There are a lot of variables that would contribute to the tone of your tyler. What pickups are in it? What is the body and neck wood? What are your other guitars made of that your comparing it to? Tylers are acoustically very open normaly. Alder guitars are going to be richer in the mids where as a swamp ash guitar will be scooped in the mids with a brighter top.

Shawn

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The Tyler is alder with a rosewood board. I have other guitars that are the same, they just don't sound the same. It's not the pups IMO either.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I have no idea why they sound like that, but every Tyler I've ever heard has that warm mid-range that you're talking about. It's not a Strat tone at all, but it's a wonderful sound and at least to my ear, the sound that makes a Tyler a special instrument.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

Loved mine. Now Splatt's doing the same.

6. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

My Landau special sounds amazing. Not a looker (black strat with rosewood slab) but she can scream or sound warm and clean.

7. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Does your have the mid boost?

8. samtheman

samtheman Member

Mhhhh.....so gooood :)

[​IMG]

9. floobeedust

floobeedust Member

Pickup choice and electronics is the difference.

10. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I think it's the extra peghead mass and neck mass/size. Everything else including pickups you can get on other guitars, but Tylers sound different.

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

The tone is in the headstock ;)

Seriously though: great pickups

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

True bypass. Here's a pic
    [​IMG]
    The pickups are Tyler singles and an Arcane PAF.

13. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Mhhhh...
    I had that "problem" with my three Tylers, but when i installed a bypass switch for the booster they became strats. They sound a little darker, i suppose because of the thicker neck and headstock, but not that different. Specially the Dann Huff with Lindy Fralin singles, very fendery.
    Anyway the Tyler singles (i think they┬┤re made by Suhr) have a very pronounced midrange, could be that. Well, except if yours has a mamywo body.
    If you notice that more on the bridge position, Tylers have the tone circuit working on that position unlike strats, i bypass the tone circuit on the bridge position too

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

To me, even bypassed, the Tyler has more mids. This isn't something I want to loose, the guitar is hugh and sounds wonderful. I'm just wondering what Jim does different. Maybe my imagination but others seem to hear it too.

15. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

No mid boost, V-T-T controls, alder body, quarter sawn neck with rosewood fingerboard, Classic Stacks in the neck and middle and a trembucker in the bridge. You feel the notes resonate through the body. They make the best strats IMHO.

16. nek

nek Member

Playing a Tyler without amplification, I can hear a pronounced mid resonance from the bridge. I'm guessing this effect is more noticeable in the Tyler due to a very solid neck and headstock.

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Now the bridge is something I hadn't thought about. Mine has the Wilky and maybe that is a part of it as well.

18. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Neither did i...it could be that, i had an Ibanez Andy Timmons AT100 with the same bridge than tylers and it also had a lot of mid range.

19. brent

brent Member

Mine's swamp ash and I was really surprised at how distinctly different it sounded than the mamywo similar to it I played. Most Tylers I've played have one thing in common in that the parts work exceptionally well together, it's like each piece is accentuated by the others.

20. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Hey guys, it's not rocket surgery here... there's only so many things that can be changed when your basic layout is prescribed by the "F" style bolt-on parameters. With so many similar guitars out there, I think that if the bridge is the thing that's different then that's gonna be it. I mean, the material in the pickguard screws isn't gonna make a difference.

Gearguy