Why does Boogie only use C90 and V30 speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by midnightlaundry, Feb 12, 2012.

1. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

It seems like some of the newer amps vintage based amps like the Royal Atlantic might be better with something else.

Discuss.

2. scorched

scorched Member

Good question. Probably cost issues. I had a 2x12 roadking cab. Loved the C90 - hated the V30. Ended up replacing the V30 with an Epi Legend GB12 - cab was superb after that.

Speakers are a quest and a curse rolled into one. Sometimes you fine gold and sometimes crap. But its probably the easiest way to change the sound of an amp.

3. dughaze

dughaze Member

I have a Mark IV and had a Rectifier for a while. Nothing has come close to how well both amps sounded with the Rectifier 2x12 cab with their English made V30's. Their V30's are supposedly slightly customized specifically for Mesa...more doping around the edges maybe? I don't know but they sound great with amps that like V30's. I don't like the C90 as much, it's okay and better with their amps than a lot of other speakers and sounds good when the volume is cranked, but the V30's sound really good with their amps. I assume they voice their amps to play well with their V30's. I have a GB128 loaded cab that sounds good with Marshally voiced amps but they sound horrible with the Mark and Rectifier higher gain settings.

Bogner apparently likes V30's in their cabs as well.

4. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    MB can cover LOTS of bases with a R&R speaker like V30 AND the wide-ranging, flexible MC90.

5. Miles

Miles Member

In my opinion, they're great sounding, rugged, efficient, and cost effective. They both sound great for the types of circuits that Boogie typically builds.

I happen to love both of the speakers and have never swapped a boogie's stock speaker?

6. kram21

kram21 Member

agree with miles

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I have tried different Jensens in my Nomad 55 1x12" w/ excellent results. I had a Blackbird Alnico and now a Tornado Neo 100 watt. Cuts down on the weight and sounds great!

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I wish Mesa would bring back EVM-12L's and Eminence MS-12's as options.....

9. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Being in my 50's I'm done w/ hauling the extra weight of the EV, JBL speakers.
    Happy w/ my Neo Jensen Tornado, and my back thanks me as well,lol!