Why does every amp sound good with single coil guitars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Colamander, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Colamander

Colamander Member

Partly kidding. But it seems to me that most amps sound great with single coils. Humbuckers, well, not true to the same extent at all.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Diametric consolidation of the negatory electrode response.

Ronnie J, Porfirio, jrcorp and 7 others like this.
  3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm completely serious when I say, the reason is quite simple: you prefer single-coil guitars.

:idea

4. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I totally agree with the OP... and I love humbuckers & single coils pretty much equally

Much easier to get a decent sound though just about any amp with a Strat or a Tele... humbuckers guitars (especially semis or full hollow) are much more finicky

For me, it’s usually related to the low end - certain amps just turn it to mush with humbuckers, and if you set the bass control really low to compensate, it loses any balls

5. Lef T

Lef T Member

100% in agreement,but let's not forget the transitory nature of the tri square phenomial having a subtle impact on the negatory electrode response.

Porfirio, jasevenny, ant_riv and 2 others like this.
  6. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

It's the opposite for me.. I find it much easier to get a good tone with humbuckers.

Also, I prefer humbucker guitars. Shocking, I know.

tritone 6, DrSax, bman5150us and 8 others like this.
  7. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

But the negatory electrode response always reacts inversely proportional to the pickup flux vector which is normal to the crystal lattice, here is the kicker.....BUT only on single coils. The humbucking nature of the humbucker pickup presents an offsetting flux field which really minimizes the touch sensitivity.

jrcorp, kookaburra, jasevenny and 3 others like this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have both and am amazed how comparatively, there are amps that are a lot less friendly with humbuckers. You get low ohm vintage style single coil alnico II, then a hotter Alnico 5 and then go to a humbucker. Lot of difference between the three.

Hawking likes this.
  9. DV52

DV52 Member

Because single coils do not overload the the amp .
    A Marshall will like them all .

10. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

I find single coil strats to be the hardest guitar to get a great overdriven tone without any pedals.

DrSax, jrcorp, handyman and 7 others like this.
  11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

Yeah, you like single coils! Welcome to the club!

I no expert, but hum-buckers tend to be hotter and hit the front of the amp harder. That definitely makes a difference.

There might be differences in their frequency response as well that play into it. They seem to be a bit darker to me, but then I don’t play them. I might have to try my buddies LP and see I get along with them better now.

tiktok likes this.
  12. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

The frequency response is quite different between the two guitars. I look at the two radically different
    guitars in this manner:

When I listen closely to a Strat, I hear th basic “element” fundamental tone of a Classical guitar, say a Ramirez or such fine guitar of that type; especially when I hear a Stat's bridge pickup by itself when the guitars are strummed.

With a Les Paul, when listening closely, I hear the broad sound of a saxophone (the sax being the premier instrument of the first half of the 20th century.

I'm not partial to either type. I can manage to get a Strat to get a fat sound and I can get my Les Paul into thin sounding territory if I work the amp's controls to get those sounds.

Classicplayer

jrcorp likes this.
  13. rollyfoster

Those sneaky bastard phenomials

ant_riv and middlechainringguy like this.
  14. rollyfoster

Since when do all humbuckers have a humbucking nature? Don’t be so narrow minded.

jrcorp likes this.
  15. Lef T

Lef T Member

So basically in laymens terms,humbuckers suck as a means to reach total sonic Nirvana,
    whereas with single coils, the singular makes it that much easier to become One with everything?

RomanS and Scrapperz like this.
  16. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

Well I like the sound of single coils a lot - played by others. I like playing buckers in mostly clean/slightly overdriven. But to me the big variable is the amp and speakers. Clean humbuckers sound great through Jensons or JBL clean speakers. Can't get note separation through annoyingly middy, burping Celestions designed for overdrive and distortion.

classicplayer likes this.
  17. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Is vanilla ice cream better than chocolate? IME, single coils have a "purer" sound, where humbuckers have a fuller more harmonic sound. Both are good.

I have 5 electric guitars, tele (2 singles), bullet/strat (3 singles), EBMM silhouette (HSH), 335 (HH) and a Fender Korean "tele" (HH - with very good coil tap). I find myself playing single coils or tapped humbuckers more often than full humbuckers - I like vanilla - actually I like strawberry best.

18. harvey j

harvey j Member

This is why Filtertrons sound so good the bass strings have a nice clear single coil tone, no mud.

chance0 likes this.
  19. kimock

kimock Member

The single coil will normally have a more accurate fundamental and better frequency response than a standard humbucker.
    The side-by-side coils and poles are sensing the string at two locations so that’s a little lossy for the fundamental, and the hum-canceling eats into the audio a little bit too.

Timbre Wolf, katuna, jrcorp and 3 others like this.
  20. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Cleans maybe so, but for some gain I think HB's are better, so it's half and half.

tritone 6, BADHAK and sonic1974 like this.