Why does every amp sound good with single coil guitars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Colamander, Jul 11, 2018.

1. grumphh

grumphh Member

This pickup actually still warrants that smiley.... :D

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. Dubious

Dubious Member

I switch between single coil, humbuckers, filterons, rails etc all the time. Through the same pedals and amps. And i dont change the settings.

The way im able to accomplish this is by spending alot of time getting my pickups dialed in with consistent output. I did it by ear for a long time but then i sat down, plugged each guitar into a rack comoressor with really good VU metering on it and checked the levels.

That ice pick strat bridge? It was clipping the VU. That muddy overwound humbucker wasnt muddy because its overwound, it was hitting the VU really low.

So i dialed each axe in to be consistent from pickup to pickup and guitar to guitar.

The individual character of each guitar was still there but the phenomenon of “why does my rig aound off tonight” went away for the most part.

classicplayer, jrcorp and easyed like this.
  3. handyman

handyman Member

Three ways were a thing in the 80s, I guess. o_O

[​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. grumphh

grumphh Member

If that guitar had a FR on it, i'd rock it - hideous pickup or not ....

handyman likes this.
  5. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

i’ve often felt that a single speaker also provides a more pure tone. love my vvri, twin2, frt37, and there is just something about a single coil through a single speaker.

classicplayer and Colamander like this.
  6. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

I also do something very similar, with just as wide a variety of guitar pickups (singles, actives, vintage hums, high output etc) but i achieved this by dialing everything in to my most versatile guitar, which happens to be a med output mim tele-bucker (the fake wide-rangers) and everything else just seems to fit.

The measurement with a vu meter thing is a good idea, your eyes can help confirm what your ears are already picking up.

Dubious likes this.
  7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve not found the OP’s statement to be true at all, but I’m perfectly willing to accept that while I love Strats and Teles (especially Teles) for recording, other folks make them sound better than I do when playing live.

8. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

Amazing comparison!

Is that HH Tele one of those flame or spalted tops? What do they have, a '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge? I've been on the fence about trying one of those for years, but the fretboard radius puts me off. It's cool to hear the coil taps work well on them.

... and I vote mint chocolate chip.

9. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Yup, that's it. Crimson with flame maple top, mahogany body and neck. It's a real "looker" and it plays and sound as good as it looks. The neck pickup is a SH-1 ('59) RWRP and the bridge is a special pup for Fender - the Pearly Gates Plus. Different from the S-D Pearly Gates, in the type of Alnico magnets and impedance. Just an amazing guitar that I got for $450 + shipping.
    [​IMG]

jrcorp likes this.
  10. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

i say this as someone who's main touring guitars for the last couple years have been single-coil guitars, but if i'm walking into a backline/who-knows-what-amp/production situation, i always feel safer with a humbucker.

lemonman and jrcorp like this.
  11. kimock

kimock Member

That echoes my thoughts. .

12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I almost got one of those a few years back, same color, even, but for a bum neck. The guitar sounded great and played okay, but checking the truss-rod nut, I saw it was stripped while the action was too high for my taste. I'd spring for one if it didn't have the flaws from a previous owner -- they strike me as good bang-for-buck.

13. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've always found that single coils are a bit more of a fight to play. They don't naturally have as much sustain and don't push an amp as hard. They also reveal flaws in technique more readily. I do like singles and have a few Teles and a Strat but I generally gravitate to HBs with some subtractive wiring options to thin things out when needed. With fuzz pedals singles are preferable to me.

BlueRiff likes this.
  14. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

I love prime rib, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy roast turkey sometimes. Same with pickups. Live dangerously, play 'em both. I get how players favor one over the other, but I enjoy the differences and couldn't imagine staying with only one type. I suppose I go through phases but they do vary, eventually.

I particularly like to play the opposite of the other guitar player in my band. If he's playing single coils, I'm playing humbuckers or filtertrons (which has been mostly the case lately). I think it gives the guitars more contrast and variety on stage, helps cover more spectral real estate, gives us each a more distinctive tone, etc.

And, from the band's POV, that's kinda like a turkey stuffed with a rib roast, turduckin-style. What could be better than that?

jrcorp and lemonman like this.
  15. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Methinks it's because U like de single coils. Me too. I get it. Doesn't mean I don't like humbuckers also.

16. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

I recently accomplished something along these lines of dialing my pickups on my Les Paul (Seth Lovers) in to the amp I use the most. I imagined that the output from string to string could probably be measured, but did not know by what device to do it with. So, thanks for posting here about using a vu meter.

I always try to keep the 6th string side of my Seths up high enough so that I'm able to “feel” that 6th. string coming through the speaker; if that makes any sense to anyone. I find it helps make my tone that much more full sounding. I do the same with my Strats. If I need a thinner tone, I just omit that 6th. string from single lines and chords.

classicplayer

jrcorp and Dubious like this.
  17. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I'm headed that way as well => H-H in my Strat.

18. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I really love my Strat again after many years of not playing it, and I had a great set of Wagner SR single coils in there. I removed that whole pickguard and made another pre-wired with SD Jazz in the neck and 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge. I figured I can just drop in the old pickguard if I ever feel like going back to single coils but after playing it as H-H I'm thinking about just selling the other pickguard.

LPMojoGL likes this.
  19. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Single-coils, to my ears, have more growl, dynamics and character. It always comes through, regardless the amp, even when amps like my Shiva tend to thicken them up to the point that they no longer sound "traditional."

This is also the reason I tend to prefer bridge humbuckers with unbalanced coils. They just seem to sound more growly and less hi-fi to me.

20. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I was playing my Strat through the DRRI yesterday, thinking how bad it sounded compared to my humbucker guitars.
    Thin, anemic, weak.
    I’ll take humbuckers any day, and make em work with any amp. :)