• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why Does Everyone Like the Dumble Tone?

Pretty straightforward... why are so many people chasing the "dumble tone?" As far as I know hardly anyone has actually played a dumble, only a couple of artists credit their tone to those amps exclusively, and that compressed overdriven sound, while nice, is hardly the end all be all. I'm not knocking a great amp builder, but there are sooo many great amp builders at this point I just wonder why that one dude gets so many accolades. I'm not hating on the man or the amps, not at all, I'm just asking why so many people chase a copy of a tone they've never really heard and why someone would pay 100k for an amp. I get it, they're great and original, but there are numerous copies of the amps as well as pedals, and it's kind've a specific tone too. What gives? I say this as a guy with some nice amps and dumbly pedals. The tone is good, but mythical six figure good? More of the greats played through Marshalls and a good vintage Marshall isn't going to run anywhere near a dumble price.

I guess I should ask Tag.

Davy

I bought a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 30 which is a D clone. Here is video I found that demos the Dumble tone... You decide. They are not $100k. I bought mine fore $1600 minty and used.

Nice tones. I'm a Marshall guy, I only really know Marshalls and I know absolutely zip about electronics. With that disclaimer out of the way, to me that sounds like an old Mesa Boogie. Do Dumbles share any similarities with old Boogies as far as the circuit goes?

Able Grip

Fairly hard to obtain… But if you have owned a lot of clones you can try to pass yourself off as some kind of expert… Even though you haven't played an actual original amp

Na... Listen to the good D clones.
Robin Ford will use a Zen Drive and a Fender and get the D. tone.
Fuchs has studied and repaired many Dumbles. They are not magic. Just another amp.

Phase45child

I always thought Dumble was the opposite of compressed? I thought they didn't compress much, hence everyone calls them unforgiving?

I could be talking crap, as I guess it probably depends on whether we're talking about the voice of a Steel String Singer (less compressed), an Overdrive Special (more compressed) or whether we're talking about a guitar pedal which may or may not accurately reflect the actual as well as imagined characteristics of a specific Dumble amplifier from a particular recording made by Guitarist X/Y/Z

songtalk

I know plenty of mediocre millennials we who want that tone too. And there are plenty of ways to chase it both cheap and costly.

The most cost effective "Dumble in a Box" (and sorry, but this is no fun) is a little thing musicians once used to enhance their timing and phrasing called a "metronome".

Also a stack of Steely Dan records.

If you master everything you hear on the Steely Dan records to the metronome you will be able to make anything a Dumble in a box.

It's really that simple and that....involved.

I find tubescreamers and a little jazzy phrasing is all it takes. Roll off some tone maybe. Instantly conjures the word "Dumble".

Sadly it's the playing that we associate with Dumble that's really unique. Dumble tone aint that special.

Hell it's probably a tele through a little tweed amp on some of those classic "Dumble" records but who knows.

The engineers are generally the second thing you're actually envying. A good engineer can make just about anything sound the way THEY want including Dumble oid.

For clarity, I also like the tone and appreciate the notable artists that play Dumble amps. Also, the Fuchs ODS, from everything I've heard, is incredible. I suppose the title was to capture attention but what I was really saying was that paying 100k for sounds that can be had for much less seems like a head scratcher. I mean, a 59 LP is going to cost a whooooooole lot more, but mannnnny famous records were made with them and there's a nostalgia aspect to seeing those guys that I just don't think many people have the same connection with to the D. Then again, supply and demand.

Last edited:

Abram4235

I like the sound of a dumble, but it's not the OD I'm in love with, it's the high-headroom, throaty, midrange-y tones I dig. All dumbles are different, so I think blanket statements are a little short sighted. I've heard dumbles I like and some i dont.

I don't know why it matters to anyone else what someone likes though. There's room enough in the world for all kinds of tones.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom