Why does Fender CS only make Relic, Signature and Food guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CassetteTape, May 30, 2020.

1. bojocatkite

bojocatkite Member

beside the rant, OP is not wrong, if I step in any high end guitar store in Los Angeles, 99% of the Custom Shop Fender are heavily reliced. It is a very interesting/strange phenomenon to me.

CassetteTape likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Buy a G&L instead? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shane8 and CassetteTape like this.
  3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

mmm, delicious food guitars...

[​IMG]

To the contrary, there probably aren't nearly enough food references in guitar gear marketing. I mean, c'mon, this sort of thing sells in today's gluttonous, sedentary, belly cut-imperative, dangerously overweight modern America.

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I can just see the OP passing on an NOS Fender Custom Shop guitar because it has ancho poblano pickups....talk about looking for things to complain about. My word...

5. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Like quartersawn really matters on a maple neck?

koji likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Member

You do realize you can order a Fender Custom Shop.... custom.... right? Like.... literally you can tell them exactly what kind of Strat you want and they'll crank one out.

TTHX, woof*, BluesSanta and 1 other person like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I suspect there is a disconnect. Dealers are ordering ahead of customer demand, by guessing. Signature models give them talking points that may actually sell more general production and MIM and Squier models.

The customers arrive at the store looking for a Strat and they only see relic jobs and signature models.
    So that is what they buy, they can feel the neck.

Car dealers do the same thing, the models they order with guesses are loaded up with leather, air, and sport packages for 30% price premium.

My experience on the used guitar market is that signature guitars are more difficult to sell, take longer and sell at a discount to standard models. So I avoid them now.

soulman969 and CassetteTape like this.
  8. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Fender CS has a specific designation for dark Rosewood boards that are sorted: AAA. You can order that and it will be dark and high quality. They can't guarantee it will be Ebony dark and it's wood, so "uniform" is a bit odd to ask for. Of course it will have some type of grain pattern.

See fretboard wood entry in the neck category below. Every neck I've see designed AAA is as dark as could be reasonably expected without being Brazilian.

Honestly, if I was a Fender CS builder or vendor, I'd advise you to seek a boutique one off in an S style from someone who will literally pick materials with you standing next to them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    AltecGreen and CassetteTape like this.
  9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Thank you!

It seems like the OP is bothered by the fact that the Custom Shop hasn’t already made exactly what he wants.

two fingers and Cup of Cheese like this.
  10. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Maybe you frequent the same places I do. :). I wouldn't say it's 99 percent, but pretty high. And I wouldn't relegate it to a Fender thing. It's Danocasters, K-Lines, etc. They move off the shop floor faster, so they are in the shop. I'd prefer to see mostly NOS on the floor, even though I have a relic Tele. But these stores gotta sell stuff and this is the stuff that sells.

https://www.lavintagegear.com/product-category/guitars/just-in/page/2/

CassetteTape likes this.
  11. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

Why would a "NOS" guitar claiming to be built to vintage spec have Ancho Poblano pickups in it? They are a recent invention with different materials and process trying to get an unpotted sound by dipping them in "secret sauce". I applaud their efforts and might consider buying a set but you are right, I would pass it up when seeking a vintage strat. NOS/Vintage should be that. Not all of this recent crap. My only hypocrisy in this is that I don't want a 7.25 radius and prefer a flatter one.

I like it and it contributes to the longevity of the instrument so if it's an heirloom guitar, which I always try to think of it being when I buy, quarter or rift sawn will hold up better over the decades. People can argue this point but it's an opinion shared by many who know more than I ever will about it.

The wait is several months, if that right now due to covid.

And, you cannot specify a rosewood board without the possibility of uneven, lighter and red patches showing up. I'm not talking about figured wood grain, which is fine. I'm talking about something like a 3 fret section being a big blotch that doesn't match the rest of the board. I've already talked to custom shop dealers about it and you can't avoid the possibility of getting that. You'll get what shows up and some are like that even when you specify 'sort for dark'. They sort for overall darker color but won't guarantee a uniform, incredible looking board.

12. budglo58

budglo58 Member

No problem. I had a similar dilemma. I ended up with an AVRI thin skin 59 ri and 5 years bought my only CS a 59 ri journeyman relic. Wasn’t looking for a relic , but I knew I could live in the journeyman as the NOS time machine series was getting harder to find.i do wish they made more NOSs , but keep your eyes opeN , they pop up every so often. I’ve seen quite a few at Wilcutt Guitars from time to time.

CassetteTape likes this.
  13. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

Japan is the place I would have suggested looking. Japan is great for selection but a new guitar is sold at retail price. However, used guitars are not that popular so the prices are much lower on used instruments. The problem for Japan is your requirement for neck radius since 7.25 is more common for period correct guitars.

What is your price range? I can see what I can dig up in Japan.

For your rosewood criteria, a lot of the small boutique makers have such wood. A lot of the makers in Japan that I follow can readily source Brazillian rosewood if you want to pay the price.

If you are willing to consider something not Fender, how about something like this.
    Black Cloud Black Smoker Sigma

This one is not to your spec but shows the kind of rosewood that some small builders have available that meet your color criteria. This neck is solid rosewood.
    Y.O.S. Quintic

After looking around, guitars with your exact spec do not seem to be popular even including non-Fender makers. Lots of guitars with maple fretboards with your specs and color and many with a rosewood fret board but in a different color. I would just do a custom order.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    CassetteTape likes this.
  14. Swaters

Swaters Member

Wilcutt true 62/63. I know they’re relics, but they’re done very tastefully (and lightly) and are about as straight up 62-63 as you can get. And there are dozens to choose from so you can see the fretboard darkness before you buy. Again, NOT NOS, but a great option/selection variety nonetheless.

EDIT: Wilcutt even has some NOS CS strats on their website.

CassetteTape likes this.
  15. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Fender is building all of this in their American Original line.....even a flatter radius you prefer.

And, again, they'll build you whatever you want. Your beef seems to be that what's already on the wall at guitar shops don't meet your needs...that's really what the CS is all about. They'll get you what you want.

I don't need a CS and found that the AO series was perfect when I went Strat shopping a few months ago. Couldn't be happier.

But I tend to look for solutions rather than focusing on problems. :)

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

At an even larger premium. But if cost is no object...

And yes standard Custom Shop output is heavily tilted to relics.

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

BTW, when did Custom Shop become order only. They used to have three lines, NOS, Closet Classic, and Relic. I recall Fender announced they were no longer making NOS or Closet Classic as part of their standard CS line. So now they only make a relic if a dealer orders it?

18. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

The OP is willing to do an order and has talked to dealers about an order. The sticking point seems to be that the color of the rosewood. The OP insists on nearly black rosewood and the answer he received was the the custom shop cannot absolutely guarantee the color to his satisfaction.

At this point, he should work with a custom builder that offers the customer the opportunity to pick the wood.

CassetteTape likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Member

[​IMG]

It doesn't contribute to longevity at all, maple is rock hard...plus it"s just a bolt-on neck.

20. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

Ahhh Japan. I've actually been to Guitar Street in Ochanomizu, Tokyo. I went there to buy one specific type of guitar and was so overwhelmed by the tens of thousands of instruments that I left empty handed. I've never seen anything like it and highly recommend visiting if anyone gets the chance.
    I did find one guitar that would work that's in Japan but the costs of those willing to import are just so high and most are just resellers/middlemen for shops in Ochanomizu. I'll look into that Black Smoker brand, looks amazing.

Thanks

I actually agree with this, I had a white AO when they first came out because I stumbled upon one with a flame neck. They are great guitars.
    And focusing on solutions rather than problems is a very good way to be. When I was younger I had a guitar that wasn't setup well, sounded muddy and was generally a bad experience. I think now I'm overcompensating to make up for that.

bibir and rhinocaster like this.