Why does it do this? Help.

Eduards_Vi

Hello!

I recently discovered, that I have a problem in my pedalboard and I don't know if I can even fix it (without buying new pedals).

I'll start off with my signal chain: Guitar -> Boss TU-3 -> Hotone OCTA -> Vox v845 -> Boss BD-2 -> EHX Little Big Muff -> TC Flashback -> Tone City Tiny Spring -> Amp (My pedalboard is powered by a Harley Benton PSU which is incredibly cheap but a little noisy).

So, the problem is whenever I have my LBM on and I also turn on the Tiny Spring reverb, all of the bass and most lower mids disappear. However, when I turn my Flashback delay on (which is in between those two) the problem goes away, but I don't really want to have to turn the delay on whenever I turn my LBM on and the reverb is on 95% of the time. Also, this bass/mid cut with the reverb on only exists with the LBM, my overdrive isn't affected at all.

I also tried taking the LBM and the reverb out of the chain and testing them both without the rest of the board. LBM -> reverb still had the problem, but reverb -> LBM didn't have the problem.

What is the cause and is there any way I can resolve this issue?

Last edited:

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
I'm guessing your Big Muff might be the issue. Take it out of the chain and retest.

Eduards_Vi

I'm guessing your Big Muff might be the issue. Take it out of the chain and retest.
Everything works fine when the muff is off. And when the muff is on and the reverb is off everything is fine as well. It's just that when they are both on without the delay on in the middle I get the issue. I also tried putting the muff after the reverb and the problem disappeared. But the sound of the reverb into the muff is pretty messy.

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
I'm guessing the LBM is causing an out-of-phase issue due to a possible failure. Point is, the only way to be sure is to take it out of chain and retest. Also, fuzz pedals (like the LBM) in general work best at the front of chain where they can interact with your guitar pickups. The Boss TU-3 is a buffered (not true bypass) signal out. That may also make for less than ideal tone.

Last edited:

Eduards_Vi

I'm guessing the LBM is causing an out-of-phase issue due to a possible failure. Point is, the only way to be sure is to take it out of chain and retest. Also, fuzz pedals (like the LBM) in general work best at the front of chain where they can interact with your guitar pickups. The Boss TU-3 is a buffered (not true bypass) signal out. That may also make for less than ideal tone.
Okay, I'll try that.. but what exactly do you mean by retest? Test the whole pedalboard without the muff or the muff standalone?

stinkfoot

The Little Big Muff - like all of the Big Muff pedals - does not have any output buffering. It takes the output signal straight off a passive volume control, which makes it sensitive to what follows. The Tone City Tiny Spring is listed as having 500k input impedance, which should be enough to not cause concern with the Big Muff. But it apparently isn't high enough, since turning on the Flashback in between the two solves the problem.

You could switch the Flashback to buffered mode (activate the "trails" function), of course.

Eduards_Vi

I just tried putting the muff first in the chain. To my surprise it solved the problem. But I will still try stinkfoot's method.

stinkfoot

Moving it first would place the TU-2 immediately after it, which achieves the same thing as the Flashback did. If you'd rather have it later in the chain, placing it between the wah and BD-2 would also do the trick, as well as switching the Flashback to buffered mode. The idea is to get a buffer in right after the Muff, so it has a consistent load to work with.

Eduards_Vi

Moving it first would place the TU-2 immediately after it, which achieves the same thing as the Flashback did. If you'd rather have it later in the chain, placing it between the wah and BD-2 would also do the trick, as well as switching the Flashback to buffered mode. The idea is to get a buffer in right after the Muff, so it has a consistent load to work with.
I switched the Flashback to buffered mode. Works like a charm now. Thanks for the advice! :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom