why does it have to be so difficult.. no audio in reaper?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by neastguy, Mar 12, 2020.

1. neastguy

neastguy Member

just starting to look into it.. I put it in the cart and it was $179 eeek... dont know if I need it that badly :)

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

It would be nice to have a brief explanation of how you solved your issue, for the next person who finds this thread or needs help with midi.

3. neastguy

neastguy Member

Im pretty sure it was because I needed to insert a midi device into the track.. I think I just created the track in a bad sequence.. I still have issues but I generally can figure it out now... by just deleted the track and starting over

soundchaser59 likes this.
  4. MiguelDamas

MiguelDamas Member

Because in Reaper tracks are just tracks, doesn't matter if audio mono or stereo or MIDI, when using VSTi it's generally easier to go Insert > Virtual Instrument On New Track. That automatically sets the inputs to MIDI and saves you the trouble of having to do it manually. Otherwise it defaults to the first audio input on your interface.

soundchaser59 and neastguy like this.
  5. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Also, as a recent owner of v6, setting up the theme to give you your controls back on the track panel could help here. I'm sure there's a more streamlined way to get things rolling, but I didn't like it when those controls disappeared.

6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I just bought EZ Drummer 2 the other day. Getting it to run in Reaper was not quite as straightforward as I expected. It seems to handle the MIDI input from the track on playback in a funny manner, but I did get it working. Even though EZD has a setting for input MIDI channel, it only seems to work on playback when the input channel is set to "all". It does respond correctly to whatever MIDI channel you have set when using an external controller though.

Also, it's got a switch to allow MIDI to pass through. I wanted to pass notes (mainly percussion) that EZ Drummer didn't have to one of my hardware drum machines, but as far as I can tell the through function just doesn't work.

7. dalezjc

dalezjc Member

Just for the record, you don't need MIDI for EZ Drummer.