• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why Does Marshall Refuse to Get Into the Low Wattage Scene

GeLoFi

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love a Marshall in the vein of the Tiny Terror/Rebel/Night Train. What gives? Why won't marshall get into this scene, its blowing up!

ripoffriffs

Silver Supporting Member
Marshall Lead 12 5005

This solid state little monster was a great practice amp for a lot of players in the 80's. I spent my teenage years shredding on this and so many other players I knew. There's rumors Billy Gibbons even recorded with it. Maybe it's sentimentality, but this little monster can out do any of these modern little amps for only a hundred bucks.

eschatts

Why do people hate the VM's so much? I have listened to some youtube clips and I think some of them sound pretty awesome.

sqadan

Marshall makes both the 18 Watt combo and an 20 watt head I think...

Not sure people really think "low watt amp" when they hear the Marshall name though.

soldano16

Marshall makes both the 18 Watt combo and an 20 watt head I think...

Not sure people really think "low watt amp" when they hear the Marshall name though.
But if anyone could market and sell the ultimate "bedroom Marshall", it should be those guys.

doctord02

Yeah, I dont buy into the premise. Marshall has made plenty of good sounding lower wattage amps, both tube and SS.

CJReaper

Marshall Lead 12 5005

This solid state little monster was a great practice amp for a lot of players in the 80's. I spent my teenage years shredding on this and so many other players I knew. There's rumors Billy Gibbons even recorded with it. Maybe it's sentimentality, but this little monster can out do any of these modern little amps for only a hundred bucks.
+1!!!!! I've been using my Lead 12 for practice since I started in 1985, put a good OD in front of it as a boost and it's one of the most convincing "Marshall Stack" sounds at bedroom volumes I've ever heard.

Cheers,

CJ

GeLoFi

Silver Supporting Member
Studio 15.
Yea, I've read about this amp, hard to find though. But I'm saying, why not release a new production amp like the TT at a decent price point? It would sell like mf'n hotcakes.

voojo

Yea, I've read about this amp, hard to find though. But I'm saying, why not release a new production amp like the TT at a decent price point? It would sell like mf'n hotcakes.
I do hear what you are saying, that little Studio 15 gets raves. They should consider reissuing it, maybe an updated version.

my favorite amp, really stupid to sell that amp, 6v6 with a Vintage 30, stupid stupid stupid stupid,

but marshall does not do low watt amps.
I had a chance to buy one cheap, still kick myself for not doing it! I've heard them demo'd a few times and they sound fantastic!

Sniper-V

The 18-watt 1974x and 20-watt 2061x are considered low wattage amps.

But,

It would be nice to see an under 15-watt all tube offerring.

Eric Dahlberg

The Studio 15 is a pretty cool amp for the low price it sells for but the current 18- and 20-watt Marshalls have much more of the classic Marshall vibe. I'd even go so far as to say the 18- and 20-watters are some of the very best sounding Marshalls I've ever heard, especially of the last 20 years.

CocoTone

I put the studio 16 in the same category as the Blues Jr. Small boxy tone that, if you like airy, thumpy piano tones, you can't get any where close with these. No wonder they stopped making them.

CT.

felim

There's the discontinued 20 watt DSL201 as well, though I've never played one so I dunno what they sound like.

The Jubilee 50 watters are switcheable down to 25 watts but IMO don't sound as good in low power mode.

jtm622

All of the 900 series heads were switchable from pentode to triode operation...
i.e., 50 down to 25 watts, and 100 down to 50 watts.

Trending Topics