Why does my amp tick?

ChrisP

I've got a Vintage Crate 20 2EL 84 amp that ticks ... it has no reverb no tremolo.

tick tick tick tick :confused:

SteveVHT

I'll ask you a silly question....

Do you have your cell phone on you when you're playing????
:D
Steve

ChrisP

Originally posted by SteveLINY
I'll ask you a silly question....

Do you have your cell phone on you when you're playing????
:D
Steve

I do but the amp is in the basement and the cell is in the kitchen ~ ~ ~

should i move the amp to the bathroom??? :confused:

ChrisP

Originally posted by dkaplowitz
You don't get the reference? Did you see the movie?
The first time I tried to watch the movie I was bored out of my skull. I did *not* get it and just turned it off...very rare for me. I almost sit out a movie.

So, I heard that the ending of teh movie was great so I borrowed it but I feel asleep after brad pitt bangs xanaz girl. :-/

Amp
Tick
I
Cry

Kappy

I liked the movie on the first couple of passes, but then it started to dawn on me how much the movie itself (and the hyper packaged DVD) was the very thing it was supposed to be making the viewer aware of. It's a fun movie nevertheless.

Anyway, the reference was to Ed Norton's luggage at the airport which was flagged because it was ticking. He was at the customs counter and the customs guy was saying "we only really worry when a bag vibrates, that's far worse". "But", he continues, "occasionally it's just a dildo..." and goes on to subtly insinuate that Ed Norton had a dildo in his bag.

Pardon my impertinent post...your thread title just reminded me of it.

Scott_F

A quartz watch held near a pickup will cause your amp to tick like your mom's old mantle clock! :)

ChrisP

Originally posted by dkaplowitz
I liked the movie on the first couple of passes, but then it started to dawn on me how much the movie itself (and the hyper packaged DVD) was the very thing it was supposed to be making the viewer aware of. It's a fun movie nevertheless.

Anyway, the reference was to Ed Norton's luggage at the airport which was flagged because it was ticking. He was at the customs counter and the customs guy was saying "we only really worry when a bag vibrates, that's far worse". "But", he continues, "occasionally it's just a dildo..." and goes on to subtly insinuate that Ed Norton had a dildo in his bag.

Pardon my impertinent post...your thread title just reminded me of it.
:D no problem.

I just wish someone could shed some light on this issue ~ ~ ~

MuseCafeChris

Originally posted by Scott_F
A quartz watch held near a pickup will cause your amp to tick like your mom's old mantle clock! :)
Are you being serious? I wear my watch on my picking wrist and I get the ticks through every amp I play through.

ChrisP

Now that I think about this....I have 2 amps downstairs, the other being a SFPR, and I think they are BOTH ticking.

Is it possible that it's my power in the house? I have never noticed this before and i think i would have .... it's not subtle at all.

I"ll check this out when I get home.

Killa-B

I have had amps tick as well. If I recall correctly, changing the preamp tubes got rid of the problem.

G'OlPeachPhan

It could very well be the power supply at your house. My amps used to tick at my old studio apartment... it was an older building in the city. Now I live in a 7 year old house in the country with a clean power supply and my amps don't tick, are much more quiet, and actually sound better and are more consistent from day to day... more stable current running to them has something to do with it I think... that and they're in a temperature controlled environment, but now I'm rambling.

I think certain types of energy meters can cause this ticking... Try plugging your amps in at another location and see if the problem goes away.

I could be wrong, but I think a power condition could solve your problem. I agree that it can be irritating, but it never bothered me while playing... only while the amp was idling.

ChrisP

Originally posted by G'OlPeachPhan
It could very well be the power supply at your house. My amps used to tick at my old studio apartment... it was an older building in the city. Now I live in a 7 year old house in the country with a clean power supply and my amps don't tick, are much more quiet, and actually sound better and are more consistent from day to day... more stable current running to them has something to do with it I think... that and they're in a temperature controlled environment, but now I'm rambling.

I think certain types of energy meters can cause this ticking... Try plugging your amps in at another location and see if the problem goes away.

I could be wrong, but I think a power condition could solve your problem. I agree that it can be irritating, but it never bothered me while playing... only while the amp was idling.
Cool thanks ` ` ` i'll report my findings later.

DanR

Seriously, I had a ticking problem that I noticed first on my old Vibro Champ. And it was truly over a year before I realized that it was caused by my watch, which I wear on my right (picking) wrist. I'm a lefty playing righty, by the way.

DanR

I agree about the power conditioner.

My Zinky would 'tick' on the highest gain mode. Drove me nuts. I got rid of my G-Major...still ticking. Got a Furman power conditioner....problem gone.

Scott_F

Originally posted by MuseCafeChris
Are you being serious? I wear my watch on my picking wrist and I get the ticks through every amp I play through.

Quite serious. Freaked me out the first time it happened.

Trending Topics