Why does my Classic 50 sound better than my Marshall?!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SFW, Aug 4, 2005.

1. SFW

SFW Member

So, I have two amps. A Marshall TDL 602 2x12 combo and a Peavey Classic 50 head. The Peavey has been in the shop getting a check up, so the Marshall has been getting a lot of playtime recently. Two days ago I got my Classic 50 back and plugged her in. Then I was completely blown away and how much better the PV sounds. It is meatier and has a meaner sound. The bottom end is much deeper and it has a wonderful fat sound to it. Even with the “Bottom” boost on the Marshall the PV just has more thump to it. The PV also has more available gain on tap. So what’s up with that?!!? I thought that the TSL would have more gain and produce a much nicer tone. (Granted I’ve only had the TSL for a little over a week.) I know that my TSL needs some new tubes, but the ones in my PV are fairly old too. Plus the EL34s I would have figured to have more bottom end thump. I even hooked the PV up to the TSL’s combo speakers to make sure that it wasn’t just because the Wolverines suck. Same result, the Peavey had a much richer, fatter tone. I think the Cleans on the Marshall are a little nicer- because they don’t share an EQ like the PV does, but that is only marginal.

Any thoughts on this phenomenon? Has anyone else had a similar experience? The last Marshall I owned was a 1988 Jubilee 2550, which was just a tone beast. (I wish I still owned it! Damn GAS!!! LOL!)

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Whoever said that Peaveys were inferrior to Marshalls anyway?

I used to have a Classic 30, and sometimes I kick myself for selling it. I think it's the EL84 tubes - they just don't have the compression that EL34s or 6L6s have, so their tone is more in your face.

On the other hand, it could also mean that your Marshall is due for some servicing too!

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

IMO the TSL is NOTHING like a Jubilee.

Jubilee's a killer amps.

4. SFW

SFW Member

I know that the Jubs are different. However, I just couldn't believe that the TSL sounded so thin. Even through the same speakers. I just find it wierd.

5. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

The Peavey Classic 50 is a very good amp. I wouldn't have any problem comparing it to anything out there for tone. If I had to pick, I'd rather have the Peavey than the TDL 602, for my tone anyway.

Maybe that EL84 vibe is to your liking.

Scott L.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Why does my Classic 50 sound better than my Marshall?!!?

Because the Peavey Classic 50 is a really good amp (and a great one for the money) that doesn't happen to say "Marshall" on its front.

Like JP says ... listen with your ears. They don't lie!

Kiwi

7. ExtraStrength

ExtraStrength Member

Hi,

I own a Peavey Classic 50 2 12 combo and I think it is a very underated amp. It does have good tones clean and overdriven. during club performances it get you good sound and breakup at very reasonable volumes. the Post and Pre controls on the dirty channel give you a lot of settings to mix and match preamp and post amp gain. I really like the amp. I will add, it doesn't sound like a typical low budget, EL84 amp. This amp has a very full sound.

I owned a TSL122 combo for a short while and ended up giving it back to the store in about a month. My first impression of the sound regardless of guitar used, LP, PRS, Strat was it was very honky and thin sounding. Your ears must be similar to mine. No disrespect meant to others who hear the amp differently.

go ahead and use the Peavey. it is a very good amp to gig with.

Bruce

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Because you prefer its tone.

A good-sounding amp is a good-sounding amp regardless of the name on the front.

9. SFW

SFW Member

I wasn't really downing the PV. I have always thought that it was a great amp. I thought that the TSL sounded good, until I A/B with the PV. I found it very interesting that the PV, loaded with EL84s, had more bottom end that the EL34 driven Marshall. That was really the point of this post. To discuss my findings.

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Because the Peavey is a cracking amp and marshalls like DSL TSL Mode 4 etc in my opinion are a pile of junk.

11. el34power

el34power Member

A trap i fell in a while back is. You try and make all the amps sound the same and end up missing each's character.
    I have a Peavey Prowler that I had modded to run on EL34's. I wanted it to sound like my JCM800. Well, it got perty close but one thing the mighty JCM can't do is the cleans on the peavey. They are absolutely deadly. I would put it up against ANY Fender.... no, really.

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

One of my session guys uses a Classic 50. It sounded good when he brought it for a recording session, and recorded well.

It's a nice amp, IMHO.

13. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The PV Classic series was really the 1st amps in a long long time (maybe ever?) that raised the bar for Peavey and made people take notice.I remember when they came out, everyone was kind of scratching their heads and saying 'hmmm, not bad!".

Then the 5150 came out, and there was a similar response. Pretty good product.Wolfgang guitars too, same deal.... I mean would you EVER have considered playing a Peavey guitar pre-Wolfgang? They are pretty good guitars, really. My biggest criticism of Peavey is that I think they try and make too many products- they try and be too many things to too many people. they make super cheapola guitars and 10 watt amps for beginners, and they have high priced U.S. produced "Custom Shop" guitars. They make wierd looking drums, and synths. Rack EQ's, and multi fx units. They make p.a. stuff, and tube mics. Used to make a good tube mic pre, and compressor too. and I mean, Fender makes alot of stuff, but no synths, no drums. Fender just buys up other brand names like Gretsch that are well-known and respected manufacturers of drums, etc.

I think it's confusing and kind of turns people off a bit... like if Ford tried to make cheap cars, upscale sedans that were Mercedes caliber AND farm equipment AND trucks equivalent to Kenworths AND speedboats.

Hey, Yamaha has the same problem!

OH the other Peavey problem- they introduce gear at NAMM, in press releases, etc. and then it doesn't show up at the music store for like, another year. They have done that forever, and I've never understood it- people get frustrated waiting and by the time the gear arrives the "new product excitement" or whatever has warn off.

I've actually thought alot about this... used to work in a little store that sold Peavey so i had plenty of free time to contemplate this topic... should have been noodling on a guitar instead!

Bottom line- Classic series PV's are good bang-for-the-buck amps, no doubt. Aww ****, ok, as Hartley says, they are good amps REGARDLESS of price.

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Echo what everyone has said, but I noticed something, you said you had a TSL 2x12 combo and a Classic 50 HEAD , what are you running that head through?

I'm asking specifically about the 'thump' issue, if you're putting it through a good 2x12 or even 4x12 cab, you probably will get more 'thump' or better bass response.

In short though, your ears are telling you the truth. I had a classic 30 a couple of years back, and I can't remember for the life of me why I ever sold it. The dirty channel is totally 'my' tone, right up my alley.

15. Hoady Snitch

Hoady Snitch Guest

Why does your PV sound better than your marshall? ...I wonder...

Probably because the newer marshalls are junk and don't chime or pro-ject much less b r e t h e.(the new 2061x and 1974x being the exceptions)
    I own a "PV" classic 50 4/10 and have since it first came out...
    I NEVER sell anything...If its worth buyin its worth keeping in my mind's eye...I don't change amps like underwear I buy to keep.
    The "PV" 50 is a kool amp and is good for some things....the clean
    sound being one of them..
    The overdrive channel is probably only good for a fuzzed out sound (think solo from "one of these nights" by the Eagles)
    which will not "pro-ject" past the front of the stage when competing with other amps...for cut through

I own and regularly play a 1972 model 1986 bass version JMP
    and BELIEVE ME! ....there IS NO comparisson if you've ever really used a non MV marshall.... .
    Used A/B with the marshall works to get the best of both worlds although I prefer my 1975 fender twin for that clean role.

Marshall mean/Fender clean.

16. SFW

SFW Member

I run the C50 through a 2x12 closed back with greenbacks in it. However, I also plugged the C50 into the TSL's combo speakers to judge the amps fairly to one another.

I'm not saying that I didn't know my Classic 50 was a good amp. Hell, I wouldn't have purchased it if it weren't I just didn't realise how mean it sounded compaired to my TSL- which I though sounded ok as well. I think more than anything, it made me realize the the TSL is in need of some TLC.

17. mmorse

mmorse Member

I tried a TSL 401 and 602 when I contemplated getting a combo. Compared to my JCM 800 2204, they were pure dreck. Found a clean 2550 Jube and run it through an Avatar 212. Bought em both used and paid less than GC wanted for a 401. Put some good tubes in the Jube and never looked back. I guess some people can coax some good tones out of TSLs. I sure couldn't.

18. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

SFW , id say the TSL amp needs not TLC but PIC , that being put in classifieds and get shod of it mate, use the money towards better quality gear,

19. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Simple: you have a great Peavey amp and a cheesy Marshall.

20. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Classic 50 is a bad-ass amp - I gigged with one for 10 yrs and only sold it to a guy because he was desperate for an amp and I had 3 at the time.

Could be your Marshall needs new tubes & biased - I know an amp that's way out of spec can sound bad.

--chiba