• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why does my G&L sound so weak?

Lephty

I have a gorgeous G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow. Have had it for well over 10 years, and have used it at about two gigs that whole time. It just sounds weak. No bite to the tone, no punch in the low end. It came with Seymour Duncans and I have tried replacing them with different SD's, P90's, and most recently I went to "boutique" level and put Lindy Fralin "Unbuckers" in it. Same problem every time. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what's going on with this thing--very frustrating because it's a beautiful guitar.

XKnight

I was going to suggest raising the pickup height, but since you've already tried numerous pups I'm sure you also tried various height positions. You might have an electrical issue, but I would think someone would have noticed that. The only other thing I can think of is your guitar is a literal dud. Sometimes the wood just doesn't work in particular guitar.

Bluesdaddy

Perhaps you don't like the sound of a semi hollow tele ? I have a semi hollow asat special and a solid one. The chambered one sounds quite a bit "thinner" then the solid and doesn't have as much low end or mids. I find it great for some things but lacking for others . I prefer it at home noodling around but the solid one out performs it for a live guitar.

Mc Tanza

My Asat Deluxe came from the factory with 250Kohm pots, so check that out if you haven't already, and replace them with 500Kohm audio taper ones. Use the lock mechanism in the bridge if you don't, you will gain body that way. Also, if your guitar has an F-hole, cover it with wathever you deem aesthetically appropriate, you will also gain lots of body to the sound that way. Those are the free mods, but you could also try replacing the stock Schaller non-locking tuners with the locking variant. You will also gain a noticeable amount of body to the sound that way.

dazco

I have a guitar like that, but it's ok on 10. Soon as i turn down and get cleaner tho it's exactly as you described, and i have tried tons of pickups and hardware, different pot values, and every version/component value in a treble bleed, you name it. Every possible option. Its just IMO in the design and/or wood. Maybe not a great wood combo for the particular design, maybe a bad piece of wood. But whatever it is, after trying everything i put it up for sale a year or so ago. Still hasn't sold tho. My end up using it for firewood one day. :D

Matt L

Perhaps you don't like the sound of a semi hollow tele ? I have a semi hollow asat special and a solid one. The chambered one sounds quite a bit "thinner" then the solid and doesn't have as much low end or mids. I find it great for some things but lacking for others . I prefer it at home noodling around but the solid one out performs it for a live guitar.
That's what I'm thinking...it's the "airy" nature of a semi-hollow that might be the culprit.

Lephty

Glad to hear it's not just my imagination, I guess. It really is too bad--as a lefty, it's not all that often that a sweet guitar drops into my lap like this one did. And I love playing it at home unplugged. But after 10 years of not using it for gigs, I think it might be time to unload it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Bypass all the electronics and have the pup jumpered straight to the jack and you will hear exactly what the potential is for that pup/gtr combo.
Add the circuitry one bit at a time and monitor the loss. Stop or mod it before making a lossy step. If it sounds good straight out it is not the guitar.

ASATlove

I would try a pair of G&L MFD wide single coils. I have yet to hear any MFD's that lacked balls.

Matt L

Glad to hear it's not just my imagination, I guess. It really is too bad--as a lefty, it's not all that often that a sweet guitar drops into my lap like this one did. And I love playing it at home unplugged. But after 10 years of not using it for gigs, I think it might be time to unload it.
Yeah, the way you describe it....having tried many pickups, love playing it unplugged, lacks balls.....totally sounds like the thinline vs. Solid Tele body thing. I've owned a semi-hollow Tribute ASAT Special and a couple of thinline Teles and they all were like that. Very cool guitars, but absolutely lacking the same tonal and response qualities as a solid version. You really can't make one into the other.

jimpridx

Silver Supporting Member
My Asat Deluxe came from the factory with 250Kohm pots, so check that out if you haven't already, and replace them with 500Kohm audio taper ones. Use the lock mechanism in the bridge if you don't, you will gain body that way.........
^^^Yes^^^.....I've owned two ASAT Deluxes in the past - one semi-hollow and the other solid - and both came with 250K pots. Swapping those out for 500K pots made a huge difference for the better. I would definitely try a pot change before giving up on the guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom