Why doesn't anyone make clones of Marshall Super Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jun 5, 2006.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

There may be something out there that I haven't found, but I realized these amps are sought after because of their rarity + the great sonic qualities for guitar and someone should fill this niche.

I would love to find one for a good price, but vintage is too expensive, and I have yet to find anyone that makes them as clones or even their own version of it.

Also, I think it would be great to find a lower wattage version of the circuit as well, so you could turn it up a bit to really get the sweetness...

anyone got any names or reasons why?

2. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I believe the only difference between a Super Bass and a Super Lead were the values of two caps. Why make a reissue when anyone could mod their SL for the same effect?

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

That makes it even weirder that no one does it. They would just have to alter thier SL copies slightly and then sell it.

I don't like sticking my fingers in my amps and altering them. I just like to play. And I don't really have anyone local I trust. SO It would just kick ass if a guy like Germino or such could just offer a decently priced superbass copy.

4. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

I know that Germino makes a couple of models based on the superbass circuit. The thing is that he doesn't call them a superbass clone. The reason is that prior to '69 all marshalls were basically just superbass's with only very minor tone shaping changes (ie the two caps). I know Germino has both 50 and 100w versions too. My point is that there are probably others doing the same thing also, so what I would look for in their ads is stuff like '67 superlead. That's going to mean that it's the early circuit (ie superbass).

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

If the only difference is the value of two caps, I'm pretty sure Germino would have no problem making that alteration to one of his amps (assuming he doesn't already have an amp built that way).

6. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    maybe a Heritage Colonial:

[​IMG]

Standby Switch: "Punch"
    Both preamp switches: "US"
    MOOD control: noon

using stock tubes (E34Ls)

this is actually close to the settings i use (i tend to boost mids, MOOD about 2 o'clock)

worth a look, if you get the chance

:cool:

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

Take your pick !

From Greg's site:
    --------
    [​IMG] The Fillmore Classic follows the Monterey Classic in the evolving theme of the renown British 100 watt amplifiers from the mid 1960's.
    The Fillmore Classic use's another pair of proprietary transformers from Heyboer which are true replica's of the Drake 1203-80 power transformer and 1202-119 output transformer. The 1202-119 output tranny uses a 1.7K primary for the four EL-34 output valves. Speaker impedance is selectable from 16 ohm, 8 ohms and 100v line as the original. The 1203-80 power transformer with its unique dual high voltage secondary was based on a teardown of an original unit. Laminate was improved to M 6 for added stability and a proper 120v primary tap was added in place of the original 105/115v tap. Plate voltage is around 490vdc. All four primary taps are selectable by a switch for 120v, 200v, 220/230v and 240/250v use.
    The Fillmore Classic is an accurate replica of the 100 watt Super Lead originally made from late 1966 to around August 1967. Low filtering is used with initial power supply and screen filtering at 32uf each. The remaining stages of the amp each use 32uf.
    The Fillmore Classic circuit is carried over from the Monterey Classic and is derived from the JTM-45. This is the early plexi circuit and is voiced for a relatively flat frequency response with shared cathode preamp section, 56K slope resistor/250pf cap in the tone control section and .1uf output stage coupling caps.
    This is the early classic 100 watt EL-34 sound with great touch response and feel combined with full semi-crunchy to full crunch tones that are not overly saturated. For a live "Crossroads" or "Sunshine of you Love" tone this is the amp as long as you are willing to deal with the volume and air movement that go along with this splendid tone. The Fillmore could also be thought of as a 100 watt version of the Club 40 and would be equally content running at high volumes or as a foundation for pedals.
    --
    [​IMG] The Headroom 100 series consists of two models. Both are built on a full size aluminum chassis with spot welded corners. All filter capacitors are mounted internally except for phase inverter filter can which is top mounted by the power transformer. Each version uses a ss bridge rectifier. These models as with all Germino models do not have a master volume control. These are old school "turn it up" to get the goods happening.
    Specifications on each model are as follows:
    1st version is late 67 early 68 specs with high initial power supply filtering of 110uf. Remaining stages of screen supply, phase inverter, tone section and preamp are all 32uf. respectively. Screen supply filtering is 66uf, filtering for phase inverter is 64uf. Cathode follower tone section and preamp each use 33uf of filtering. Circuit available voiced as Lead amp with split cathode preamp, 33K/500pf. tone control values and .022uf. output stage coupling caps, or with Bass voicing/flat frequency response consisting of shared cathode preamp, 56K/250pf. tone control values and .1uf. output stage coupling caps.

Both versions use a transformer set based on teardowns of an original Dagnall T-2562 power transformer, C 1998 output transformer and C 1999 choke. This iron is correct for the years late 1967 through mid 1969.
    The two models are intended to give the user a choice between the two circuits and the two different power supply layouts available during these early periods of production with the Dagnall transformer sets. Both amps are very loud with the 1st version and its larger power supply being extremely percussive in its attack. Plate voltage is around 500vdc.

8. Roe

Roe Member

metroamp makes a superbass clone as well.
    in 1967 the lead and bass amps were almost simular.
    by 1969 they were quite diffent. the lead models changed a lot, not the bass models.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

More than just 2 cap changes.

Depending on "which" Super Lead you're going for, it could be 3 or 4 cap changes, plus 2 resistor changes, plus a tube socket rewiring, plus maybe adding a new cap. Not a big deal, but not as simple as suggested.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

..yeah, and it almost sounds like there might be some disagreement of the differences. It would be better just to have a guy build an amp straight from a superbass schematic.

11. goneracin

goneracin Member

A 50 or 100 watt bass amp would be an easy build for any of the Marshall style amp builders. As has been pointed out, its only a few component changes from a traditional lead style amp.

12. sws1

sws1 Member

OR have Germino build you a Germino Super Bass by comparing it to the original '68 Super Bass that I sold him.

13. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

well... I think we may be getting into some expensive catagories here... I can pick up a 69 superbass here in town for just under $2200 so having someone build one special for me isn't gonna be any cheaper;)