Why doesn't Apple change the way iPhone contacts work?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Beakertwang, May 9, 2015.

1. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I dig my iPhone, but my one gripe is that you can't really organize your contacts into groups. I know you can, sort of, but it's a pain. On every other phone I've had, you could save all your contacts into groups (family, band, church, jai alai team, etc.) and then send a text to everyone in a group at once, instead of trying to select each contact, one at a time. I know it's not a huge deal, but it is somewhat annoying.

Is there some logic behind the way it's set up?

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

What phone OS lets you do that?

3. Beakertwang

My wife's Windows phone, my old Razr, my weird sort-of-name brand slider phone I had for a while 5 years ago.

4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I am too lazy to look at my iphone now but i think it can do that.

5. Beakertwang

You can add contacts to groups using your "Contacts" app on the Mac. (At least I think that's how it's done. It may be iTunes, but it was so cumbersome, I hadn't bothered with it again, after first trying a couple years ago.)

But then you select your group, and still have to add each individual contact to your text message.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

?

each of my bands is in a group on my iphone, i text to that group and they all get it; perfect for scheduling gigs and such.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

What's the full process you're using to do that? People have asked about this before, and I've never seen a way to do it with the built-in Messages/iChat app.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You build the groups in the contacts app and they'll be synced via iCloud or you can log into your iCloud.com page from any computer and build them there. I agree this is a glaring omission on the phone OS.

There are 3rd party apps that will do it on your phone that cost like 99¢.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/address-book-plus/id298790016?mt=8&uo=4&at=11l4L8

But I've been using smart groups in apple contacts for most stuff. Just make sure contact has identifiable tag such business name or email address or insert your bands name in business field and it will auto date the group once you add the right tag to the contact.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hmm, now that you guys mention it, i'm only finding my groups by scrolling back through old messages! i don't know how i'd create a list or whatever of those groups to choose from.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yes, but the problem that the OP is alluding to is that once you've built a group in your Contacts, when you create a new text message, there's no way to address that message to everyone in the group with one touch--you still have to individually add each person in that group.

Have you found a way to do that without a third-party app?

11. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

This has been frustrating me ever since I moved on from my Razr way back in the dark ages. I'm with you OP, how is this not a basic built-in function of all "smart" phones??

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

My guess is that it's two fold: the base model of texting is that that you pay for each text, or each one after a limit (200 a month or so), and that once you're on a group text sent via SMS, it's difficult to get off--the "reply-all" syndrome, so each time someone responded ("PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THIS THREAD!"), you'd be charged.

No-one likes spam email--spam texts are even worse.