Why doesn't Boss issue a "classics" line?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by samhambone, Apr 8, 2008.

1. samhambone

samhambone Member

Their company credo seems to be based on constantly come up w/ new stuff, but come on - wouldn't they make a killing w/ a "classics" re-issue line (assuming they actually sound the same as the original).
    They could start with the original "traffic light" series - OD-1, Phaser, and Spectrum and include all the big ones - Vibrato, Analog Delay, CE-2, etc.
    Ibanez seems to be dabbling in this (with the limited run of the Flying Pan). Feel free to add any I missed? Wouldn't you buy these?

2. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

yes we need more slow gears on the market

3. RockDC

RockDC Member

Because they forgot how to make a great pedal. I'm gonna get it for saying that. :mob

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

Have you tried BYOC's?

5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Because that's not how they make money . . . they need to move volumes that the re-issues would probably would not hit. Plus, to be "authentic," they'd have to use all sorts of old schol components that are now expensive or simply unavailable.

There are some "re-issues" - but they are COSM models or redesigned circuits of their old effects (like the Dimension setting on the CE-20)

6. sega

sega Member

The real reason is the same as a cie named Shimano(cycling equipment).
    If they don't come up with new things every years, the Chinese, or Taiwanese or other coutry who like to duplicate will do the same for less.

It's marketing, nothing more....we suffer from this kind of marketing.
    But, the old stuff is still there.....

7. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I'm wondering if they might have trouble getting specific parts for things these days.

8. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I would say it is about brand identity. If Boss has come out with the new and improved RV-5, don't undercut it by reissuing the "classic" RV-3. Better yet, convince people to upgrade their old pedals.

If you want reverb, you buy the RV-5, or pay some extra cash for one of the dual pedals. My spacerock friends all love the RV-3 which combines reverb and delay, but it doesn't fit into the big picture as envisioned by Boss marketeering guys. DD is for delay, RV is reverb. Get one of each!

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

But in the case of the VB-2 and SG-1 they wouldnt be undercutting anything. They don't make anything like them anymore.