Why doesn't Buckethead get any love here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gearopenia, May 11, 2012.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

posted on FB:
    [​IMG]
    supposed to be the cover of his new album. caption said his dad was a coach at his HS...he has a huge love of basketball, Jordan, etc....he's 6-6...wonder if he was a hs player? his dad looks quite big!

2. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

That's cool! Buckethead is an incredibly emotive player. He seems to have a big heart!

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Bucket's an amazing player with a great sense of melody, timing, and an ability to either lay back or flat-out rip. I remember reading years ago that the mask and bucket thing started as a way to deal with stage fright. I can't understand why it bugs people - I mean, really: P-Funk, Alice Cooper, KISS, GWAR, Slipknot, hell, Madonna, on through modern pop acts like Lady Gaga, Cee-Lo, and so on all have "weird" outfits and schticks.

For those that don't like the ambient stuff and like more classic rock oriented music, check out Population Override.

4. ZosoRush

ZosoRush Member

damn right.

5. les strat

les strat Member

I don't own any of his stuff, but every time I run a cross a video or clip of his music, I always seem to like it... bucket & mask or not.

I mean for petes sake, it's only rock and roll. Most of us idolize a guy that an around onstage in a goofy wizard suit like he was gonna break into an incantation. Or, as mentioned earlier, a guy that looked like a redneck pimp. Most all of the best rockers were weirdos. Those that were kind of plain jane to watch had a gimmicky stage show to make up for it (Pink Floyd, etc). It's all good. It's not football teams or anything.

6. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

because he's too creepy and 'B movie' 'serial killer' like....

7. EvilPhish

EvilPhish Senior Member

Hell, that's half the fun!

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yes, thank you.

And I'm all for a stage persona, but c'mon a KFC bucket, on your head? This is an idea that would have been funny for a day at most, then time to move on. The dude can play no doubt, but not in a way that makes a long lasting impression (see above 1 - 3). IMO!

9. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

maybe because of what I consider to be a silly gimmick of the bucket. I don't listen to Insane Clown Posse or bands that seem to go out of their way to look that way- and I have a pretty broad range for acceptance.

I have seen a couple of videos of his- incredibly talented, melodic, sense of arrangement, builds tension in his playing, and has great chops. Can't take the bucket seriously, and I hear more of the nonsense playing youtube than his good stuff...

... and I am under 50

10. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.

YES to ALL that! well said my man!
    :aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok:aok

11. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

:facepalm

Hes' also better and more successful at guitar than most people will ever be at anything.

Ruined career, please. He made a life for himself playing guitar. Whats the standard for a successful career? Is it a crap top 40 hit? Make a lot of money off one song and blow it in three years?

Why are people just so angry?

12. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Also, the Bucket and mask kinda makes him ageless.

I mean, is it silly? Yeah, real silly. But he'll be much cooler looking doing what he does at age 50-65 than if he was bald and had a beer gut.

Its like the gothic kids on Southpark that all dress alike but slam on people for being conforminst sheep.

13. ray r

ray r Member

You are SO good at picking a screen name!!

14. grill

grill Member

first time i saw him, i said what the heck is that? that's not slash! lol!
    (gun's n roses, out here in HK, few years ago.)

he was awesome, playing with them. really impressed.

it wasn't until later i found out who it was. didn't know who he was, still.
    had to do some research and wasn't surprised he killed it with them.

my avi on my sound cloud page has me in a krispy kreme hat and a chinese devil mask, lol!

the shtick doesn't bother me at all.
    i saw trucks with clapton and asked myself, who dresses this guy? he looked homeless.

people eat with their eyes, music is not much different, but the proof is in the pudding.

i'm 59, btw.

15. tapehead

tapehead Member

Or the interchangeable, tan pants clad blooz lawyers on TGP who complain "new music/musicians are all derivative and lack originality" between playing copped-licks from the same 50 year old records, on boutique and vintage yet uniform, peer-approved rigs.

But who really cares about outfits? Listen with your ears, not your eyes, ladies...and leave the fashion policing to Joan Rivers.

16. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

:roll

To the haters I have to ask: Do any of you have a 22 page thread on a musicians forum about your career? Have you been asked to play with Ozzy? Have you toured the world taking the place of Slash in GNR? Have you been called upon to join a band with Bernie Worrell, Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, or Serj Tankian? Do you have a signature Gibson Les Paul? 40+ albums known worldwide? Song of yours on Guitar Hero? etc etc

Obviously his schtick worked, if that's what you think it is. He has made a career out of music, and there's no denying this guy is extremely talented at doing it. His chops are what almost all guitarists wish they could be.

I have mad respect for him and I think the bucket thing is genius. He will never look old, never be hassled in public, and never has to worry about what stage clothes to wear that day lol. I have seen him live twice and been blown away by the emotion in his playing. I can only take the guitar virtuoso thing in small doses but when I get that fix he is one of my go to guys!

17. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

18. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

19. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    WOW! you REALLY don't GET IT!!
    he DOESN'T play duets w either Robben Ford or Larry Carlton,
    he DOESN'T play through a Dumble
    ..or have a $300 pedal that makes it sound like he does
    he DOESN'T use a Timmy
    he DOESN'T use a Klon
    AND
    he uses a current Les Paul instead of correctly buying a $10,000 COPY of a Les Paul made by a guy shilled by an avant guard guy's personal bodyguard

DUH??
    why Should he get love around here?
    :dunno
    :sarcasm...;)... :roll:roll

GREAT post - saw Bucket live and LOVED every minute
    was either moved, amazed, or laughing my arse off - in the most appreciative way!

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  20. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

on the "Secret Recipe" dvd...there is some snippets of him playing a grand piano....it is really beautiful music. the dude can really play.

i just got the album funnel weaver-i had resisted getting this one, it's short snippets of songs or whatever, but man it is incredible. it's perfect for "short-attention span" oldsters like me!!! ha!
    there is just some great guitar. don't know if this was demos or what, but it's good.

i know his schtick may turn some off, but as stated, wearing a mask and bucket, he's ageless. i think i read some where, that he's like the perfect surrealist experiment, and i'd have to agree....i think his career is interesting. he certainly is under the radar, but has done enough big things (GNR, soundtracks) to enable to keep going....which is the pt...i have a ton of his albums, not all of course, but they are all good....