Why doesn't EHX...

Jack DeVille

Make a version of the Big Muff pedal that has switchable clipping diodes, tone control voicing with a bypass and selectable gain ranges/"eras?"

Like a "here is every boutique big muff copy/tweak/variant/new-amazing-tone-epiphany available for $89" pedal?

Seems like it would sell okay. Maybe even be a real banger. People buy countless boutique Big Muff "tweaks/versions/interpretations" due to "LED/germanium diode clipping!!" Or "mid scoop lift!!" Or "lower gain like the XXX version" Or "*insert lame/uninspired replacement part/value which mysteriously adds value and tone*" etc.

I know, boring, but so is another big muff copy that does YYY, and EHX made the damned thing first. They do a good job delivering a lot of pedal for not a lot of coin. Am I wrong here?

EDIT:
This might be the first thread I've ever started here? If it isn't, it's the first one in at least 5 years or longer than I can remember!

Last edited:

Sentenced

See...
I don't think the individual versions would suffer.
If you think so, then you should ask the same question to SUF, Skreddy,Wren & cuff, TYM etc...

Perhaps it would make more sense for a company that only plans to sell one Muff version or if it is considerable more expensive (than it's seperate muff versions). For 89, that you suggest, I don't think that it would make any sense at all.

Jazzmaster60

It’s a pretty good idea Jack but the problem is mass producing anything as great as they did in the 1970’s and early 1990’s . When it comes to Big Muffs I’m stuck there and I’m probably not alone .

In the early 90’s when the first Russian Muffs came out I was thinking nothing can come close to sounding as amazing as my 74 Rams head Muff
But I was wrong those 90’s Big Muffs are excellent. It’s impossible for E.H to do it 3 times, isn’t it ?

Jack DeVille

If you think so, then you should ask the same question to SUF, Skreddy,Wren & cuff, TYM etc...

Perhaps it would make more sense for a company that only plans to sell one Muff version or if it is considerable more expensive (than it's seperate muff versions). For 89, that you suggest, I don't think that it would make any sense at all.
$89 is an arbitrary low price.

Ultimately, I am just being a jerk.
It's bed time. I am being an asshole. Sorry.

But I still think it would be a good seller for EHX.:D

Sleep well everyone. I'm gonna not be an asshole on the internet for a while.

Defendant

I’ve often thought about buying a muffuletta, which is basically this idea. But I try to avoid the stench of JHS.

Would totally buy a multi-muff off ehx. Call it the Grand Canyon.

Btw bought a boutique muff with mid control this week -cloven hoof. And a TS from OG Ibanez.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
I liked the muffuletta and that concept. I just wish there was one like an alarm for some presets

DeVilleDude

After witnessing the fervent itch so many TGP'ers seem to have for collecting fuzz pedals that vary only in the tiniest of minutia, I don't believe there would be a strong market for a truly killer all-in-one fuzz. That would defeat the whole purpose of collecting, and end the adrenaline rush of chasing the next (ever so slight) tone tweak.

Sentenced

After witnessing the fervent itch so many TGP'ers seem to have for collecting fuzz pedals that vary only in the tiniest of minutia, I don't believe there would be a strong market for a truly killer all-in-one fuzz. That would defeat the whole purpose of collecting, and end the adrenaline rush of chasing the next (ever so slight) tone tweak.
The big question here is, do the companies fuel this behavior with their offerings (and differentiate their products on purpose to sell more), or do the comsumers REALY prefer it this way (prefer to collect, not to tweak too much, or whatever...)?

DrewwerD

Yeah, why stop at Muffs? You could put all kinds of OD's, distortions and fuzz in a big unit. AND, you could even take that unit off the floor and put it in a... oh I don't know, let's call it a RACK... add some MIDI to control it all... man, wouldn't that be cool.

The future sounds pretty awesome, wonder what that'll be like? :dunno

Yeah, why stop at Muffs? You could put all kinds of OD's, distortions and fuzz in a big unit. AND, you could even take that unit off the floor and put it in a... oh I don't know, let's call it a RACK... add some MIDI to control it all... man, wouldn't that be cool.

The future sounds pretty awesome, wonder what that'll be like? :dunno
Hopefully, it'll be sans Aqua Net.

Trending Topics