Why doesn't Electro-Harmonix reissue their vintage Big Muff Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elecguitargarage, Feb 5, 2012.

1. elecguitargarage

elecguitargarage Member

Sorry if this has come up before, but........

With all the muff clones on the market does anyone know why EHX don’t reissue their Big Muff pedals surely they realise there is a big market for them.

I know if they did I’d buy all of them.

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Not sure if serious.

3. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I think EHX is a company that moves forward and is not really interested in reissues... I'm not sure how big of a market there would be as there are already so many good, well established clones out there of those older Muffs.

4. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Not sure if you're serious about not knowing if he's serious.

Pretty sure he means why doesn't EHX release some accurate reissues of the triangle, rams head, etc versions of the big muff in the original style enclosures with the original graphics. It would be cool, yes.

5. elecguitargarage

elecguitargarage Member

Yep being serious, I would love it if EHX reissued their tri, rams, civil, sovtek etc fuzz pedals in the same enclosures/graphic/spec.

I think you could be right though they want to be seen as moving forward and not backwards. Still think it would be cool though....

6. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

It would be cool if they did that, the old enclosures are really cool looking! I have an original Triangle Muff, but I don't see it happening, I think there is a lot of competition from companies like SUF, Wren and Cuff, etc. making great clones, and the old EHX Muff enclosures really are not pedalboard friendly (though the Triangle Muff enclosure is smaller than the NYC RI box). It would be cool if they did it though!

7. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I think we'll eventually see them do some sort of "classic" line where they bring back the big boxes. I'm guessing that will be 10-15 years in the future though.

8. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

They probably don't want to do all the R&D it would require to figure out how to make each version 'correctly'. Of course, they could clone the cloners to make it easier.

9. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

WTF? The NYC muff itself is technically a reissue, not to mention the reissue DEM, small stone, clone, polychorus, DMM, bass balls etc etc I could go on. I'm guessing the reason why they don't reissue particular variants of the muff is because the couldn't get the parts to make the numbers necessary for it to be worth their while.
    Remember the DMMTT fiasco.

10. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I'm guessing it's because you're severely overestimating the interest in these kinds of pedals.

11. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure what the problem is. David Gilmour signature series. They'd sell a LOT of them, imo.

12. tibbon

tibbon Member

Any 'reissue' has problems that aren't easily solved. The question is how accurate are you going for? Same "circuit" or are we going for a 100% exacting copy of the original?

The original "muff fuzz" was in an enclosure like this (can't find photo of the original muff fuzz):

[​IMG]

So do you reissue it in a weird enclosure? The first Big Muff had just an on/off slider switch, not a footswitch, so do you do that? Or do you put it with a more standard footswitch?

Lots of the later Big Muffs had really ****** pots and ****** footswitches. Do you go for those, or do you 'upgrade' them? Some people for whatever reason see any change as a downgrade, since of course the company hasn't learned anything in 40+ years and were only 'right' the first time.

Do you need to get it right down to the circuit board material, factories that original parts came from, method used to make the chasis, brand of paint used, etc?

MXR went fairly exacting on their reissues recently, and frankly its a pain in the ass. When you get it, you've gotta start hacking at it so you can use a 9VDC power adaptor instead of batteries, add an LED, change the footswitch, etc.

So either you make an exacting reissue that's a pain in the ass to use, or you make something that people see as a poor compromise.

13. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I had one of those only I think the words on it were in orange

14. casual_lurker

casual_lurker Member

In addition to everything else mentioned, it is too much trouble to add another SKU - let alone an obscure one that will confuse more people than it will satisfy, let alone several of them. Devoted tone hunters are already catered to by the boutique and modding community. Even if the did all those reissues, they would cannibalize existing Muff sales, so for EHX there is a big investment and a sizable risk with virtually nothing to gain.

There is demand for reissues of every kind of product you can possibly imagine... from coke to cars. Big companies have to look at the big target groups - plus nostalgia is a big marketing factor and works to their advantage.

15. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Too much seriousness in this thread.

EHX has no trouble making 10,000 new pedals every year that eat into their current pedals' sales.

Seriously, tweak the current circuit. Throw it into an older looking box. slap Gilmour's name onto it = profit. People will line up around the block for it.

They have the means to do this.

16. tibbon

tibbon Member

Keep in mind, Gilmour's name isn't something they can just "use".

17. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Yeah, I know that.

I'm just saying, they can come up with some creative way to market vintage -styled muffs to non tgp-ers.

no problem.

18. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

transistor availability, the same reason Skreddy had to discontinue several of his muffs (Mayonnaise, etc).

19. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I have the first issue Muff. It has a on/off slider switch on it. I think it's hideous sounding. But EHX has several Muff's, I thought one was a re creation of the early ones.