Why doesn't everybody just play a Gretsch 6120

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JimmyR, Jul 6, 2008.

1. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

you have just described an orange.

they're big, shiny, chicks dig 'em. If I get what you're saying, an orange is the same as a gretsch 6120

2. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

A 5120 I used to have...
    [​IMG]

3. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Not everybody gets it.

I, however, do.

[​IMG]

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

[​IMG]

"Mmm" good intonation on that one and that's before you touch the kamikaze tunning handle.

5. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Yet another valuable Eagle1 addition to a Bigsby lovin' thread...

:rolleyes:

Ignore list, work your magic!

6. 101Volts

101Volts Member

I've never played one so I can't say why. I like the orange color though, Now if only they made it in a two tone orange sunburst it would rock harder.

7. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

How is intonation in a straight line OK?

9. alguit

alguit Member

I've got a purple Setzer Hot Rod-seriously, I think I could play any gig with this guitar-those amazing cleans and it takes overdrive so well!

I wish I could afford a 6120 with all the trimmings, and in orange, but that is for another day...

10. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Simple straight bar-type bridges typically require the use of a wound 3rd string...(flat-wounds) per the original design and intent. These bridges have been successfully employed in many successful recordings (so I think it is all OK).

I have never had any trouble with intonation on my like-equipped Gretsch guitars.

...it's just a tool, surely you can understand that.

11. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

There's a place for them all and I dig their tones, the only non-vintage axe in the bunch is the Rev Horton Heat and I agree, there is something special about a 6120. The others are killer too, don't get me wrong but the 6120 never fails to get 10 positive comments from everyone, the others are ignored besides by guitar geeks. Hey, I like you guys and all but... A '62 Jet, '67 330 and 335 and the RHH on the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

My 6120 SLTV has zero tuning/intonation issues. I LOVE the guitar! I want another one bad~!
    [​IMG]

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

14. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

It's not. The 6131TVP has a pinned bridge, and the bridge is at a slight angle. I've played the thing all day and never had any issue with the guitar going out of tune. The TruArc bar bridge matches the radius perfectly and fit perfectly on the stock base. The G6116PTV has a pinned bridge too, I just prefer the Nashville bridge on it.

Try one sometime. You might get an education.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  15. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Big, orange, chicks dig 'em, and (best of all), Pete Townshend used one for the King Kong riffage on Who's next. I'm with ya, JimmyR, a big orange Gretsch is as cool as it gets in electric guitardom.

[​IMG]

16. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Is that one on the right a "Firejet"?

I'm pretty sure that's the one I want, I like all of them but prefer the smaller bodied guitars, then again you can get used to anything in a couple of weeks!

17. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

Same here. No problems with intonation on mine either. But don't bother trying to convert Eagle1. His opinion of Gretsch is well known around here, and although I disagree with him, to each his own.

Those pics are great, but they don't do the guitars justice. They look even better in real life!:love: I'm glad you brought them to the Gretsch Roundup this year!

18. vic6120

vic6120 Member

From the Gretsch European Roundup, September 2009:

[​IMG]

19. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

Yep. There are three flavors - One with Dynasonics, one with Filtertrons, and one with Powertrons. The G6131TVP above has Powertrons, but all three variations have their own appeal.

20. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

I'm 5'7", 140 pounds and can play the RHH 6120 with no issues; I'd not go to a Country Club or Falcon 17" body sized Gretsch but the 6120 fits. It of course has a Bigsby and Sperzels and after a little tweaking on the nut it stay in better tune than my two Gibsons (one of which has a B7 w/ locking Gotohs and the other no tremolo and it still won't stay in tune, arrgh!). The bridge that came with the RHH is finally starting to rattle, took two years so it's time to swap it out; lots of choices out there but a TOM of some kind is my primary choice (I have a Nashville ABR-2 style ready to plug in here next tune up).

Great guitars, I had a DSW with Dyna's for a while too and it was a nice axe but I'm more of a Filtertron kind of guy so I've just got the vintage Duo Jet and the RHH now. But I've been through a few Gretschs, newer 'reissues' and vintage and the two I've got I'm quite happy with. Jet's are under rated and under valued guitars, select your type of pickup and kick out the jams! BUT back to 6120's, they rule, anyone else seen Chet Atkins 'owned' 6120 at Gruhn's guitars over in the glass case for $20k, WOW!

Happy Playing!