Why Doesn't Fogerty get more love?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clickjack, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Clickjack

Clickjack Member

John Fogerty, at least during his CCR days, is one the only guitar players I can listen to solo for 10 min and not get bored. Billy Gibbons the only other player like that I can think of. But it seems that Fogerty never got much love from musicians as a Guitar player. Or at least he's never talked about like a Guitar hero. Why?

2. Wagster

Wagster Member

He wrote and taught the band all the parts on their debut album. He's way beyond just a guitar player.

3. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I like John's guitar playing a lot.

It's not very technical but he played what was needed with the right notes at the right times with a Blues feeling.

The tone he got with those solid state Kustom amps and JBL speakers was great, to my ears anyway.

4. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

He's a very economical player...& I mean that in a good way. He's kind of an Anti-Vai...& I mean that in a good way too! Each note has a great deal of importance.

Tony

5. Elev8

Elev8 Member

Big Fogerty fan.
    As others have said there's a subtlety and a sensitivity to his playing which stands out in my opinion, and as a songwriter he's right up there with the very best.

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

A rare triple threat- great voice, songwriter and guitar player- he gets a lot of love IMHO.

7. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

He really is. They are one of the few bands for me where I don't really pay attention to the guitar playing because I'm so caught up in the songs. If that makes any sense. I love CCR.

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

Where did you hear that?

Obviously, he was the main songwriter but I'm finding it hard to believe he was teaching Stu Cook his basslines.

9. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

He gets a lot of love for his CCR work. That deceptively simple extremely well worked out style.

Nowadays he tries to incorporate a more modern style that doesn't work so well. The tapping etc just sounds lame.

10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

I just bought the concert DVD from the Wiltern in LA, around 2005.

He is an incredible songwriter, and his ability to write and play a great guitar part (hook or lead) is at the highest level.

11. gmann

gmann Member

I think he gets a lotta love, he's one of the best there ever was, or will be IMO.

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Great player. Great songs. I think he doesnt get alot of love becuase folks associate "CCR" with VFW and Legion bands. Nothing wrong with that..but for alot of folks those are considered lower level gigs and the work required to do a Credence tune isnt up there with brain surgury exactly.

13. Franklin

Franklin Member

14. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

John changed his style as soon as he heard EVH and since then he's gone downhill.

15. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I like CCR. One of my favorite albums is also his solo: Blue Moon Swamp

16. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

You would only hear that rig on the live album, studio was a Deluxe Reverb. Was there a live album?

17. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

:agree

18. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I don't know how anyone could think the dude isn't getting his due.
    He is playing all over the world, no doubt often to sellout crowds.
    The guy is marketing himself well and doing all the things it takes to stay on top in pop music. As far as being able to market himself and attract a following, he seems to have more than made up for lost time as far as I can see.
    And the guy is one of the very few rock artists still alive and still working that is attracting much attention. Seems like it is pretty much down to the Stones, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, and JCF.
    What rock artists are left that are still releasing albums aren't really getting much help from the music industry and as a result are pretty much remaining somewhat obscure, aside from the above mentioned and perhaps a few I can't think of right now.

19. Jignant

Jignant Member

I don't believe in bashing artists that I don't care for and music just like gear, is subject to personal preference. Fogerty and CCR have their place in rock history no doubt. Just because it ain't for me does not mean it is not valid. I have in later years come to be able to stand CCR. Growing up on Kansas, Rush, Van Halen and other heavier artists of the day, CCR was in the Billy Joel and Bee Gees camp for me. My tastes have diversified, and a lot of the "popier" acts of the day bring nostalgic memories back to me now. I play classic rock covers in a bar band and have no where near the accolades that Fogerty has.

The show stoppers for me were "put me in coach, I'm ready to play today" and "ya got ta highdy highdy high" that stuff is still like nails on a chalkboard to me. No hate here just a desire to put my listening efforts into something more personally formidable. Since you asked...

20. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

He did tap during solos before EVH, btw.