Why Doesn't Gretsch put tone knobs on their humbucker guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gas-man, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

They only have them on guitars with single coils.

Like everyone, I hate that tone selector 3 way switch thingie and want a tone control.

Why did they do this?

:confused:

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Because everyone LOVES the "Mud-Switch!"

Come on man, get with the program....all guitars need individual volumes, master volumes and standby switches. LOL.

3. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Well, Gretsch did a lot of sillier things than that mud switch, but I love 'em anyway. You can do some cap swaps if that would help. Or, some people just mod it with a tone control. What kind of Gretsch do you have?

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Elliot Easton Electromatic with TV Jones.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

yeah, cap swap can make a HUGE diff. on an Easton, I put some good old NOS caps as recommended by don butler in mine & the mud switch suddenly opens up to offer 3 very usable tone ranges.

6. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I am a big fan of tone knobs generally, use them religiously on Gibbies and bolt-necks and even use them on my Gretsch with DeArmonds/Dynasonics.

But I tend to play my filtertrons wide open. That Great Gretsch Sound and all that.

But to answer your question, I think that the Mud Switch was just part of the general whackadoo willfully different attitude of Gretsch at the time. If it worked better (as it does with Jon C's mod), it makes a certain amount of sense. I don't know if I need the gradiations between 6 and 7 on the tone knob if I could slap a (functional) switch and get a bit of a tone roll-off; nor do I need the gradiations between, say, 2 and 4 on the tone knob if I could slap the switch further and get "woman tone." That is, I think I could limit my use of tone knobs to three broad categories if the switch worked better.

7. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

The mud switch is not an option for me. One of the funny things about the new Gretsch guitars is that when they first were reissued in the early ninties many did not have the mud switch and did have a tone knob in the cluster of knobs. I think that Gretsch did away with this more practical setup in favor of a more true to the vintage approach on the more recent Gretsch guitars. I have an early 90's 6120 with just a single pickup selecter and a tone knob amongst the volume pots. I much prefer this setup as opposed to the more correct vintage setup of the mud switch on my Elliot Easton Duo Jet.

That being said, to me, the Gretsch sound, or at least the sound that I want out of the Gretsch is still there regardless. I don't seem to want to roll much tone off of the natural wide open Gretsch sound.

8. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Member

The wiring harness that has the tone knob was used on guitars up to '58 which all had single coil pups. In '58 they introduced the filtertron and changed to the mud-switch set-up thereafter.

The re-issues from '89 - '02 had the pre '58 harness mated to the post '58 filtertrons. It was historically incorrect and was "corrected" when FMIC took over the marketing & distribution of Gretsch.

9. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

You could also connect the mud-switch to one of the volume knobs, (my buddy did this for me long ago), then you have 2 different caps with the capability of rolling off as much treble as you want, plus, you still have the middle "defeat" position. Very useful to me.

10. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

The 6119 Tennessee Rose has a tone knob...no mud switch. It's the one with real f-holes (with binding), two Filtertrons and ebony board.

11. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I find the tone switch very useable...

12. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just leave my tone switch in the middle. I do use the pickup toggle on occasion but, mostly I leave the pickup toggle in the middle as well and dial in/out the neck pickup for thickness or twang.