• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why doesn't Iron Maiden get rid of Janick Gers...? (I can't STAND him in that band.)

Ben R

I love Iron Maiden (especially everything from before the 1993'ish time period).

...But, that Janick Gers has GOTS TA' GO! :mad:

They have Adrian Smith back. WHY? WHY? Just... WHY?

Nothing is worse than seeing them live and he plays the Adrian Smith solos and totally butchers them. It's like, "Dude! Pick a f%cking key! ANY key!" He just goes, "BloopityBlippityBlooBlaBli!!!" as fast as he can. No sense of melody or rhythm to his solos. No regard for the way it was originaly played. And, that stupid thing he does where he stands really straight and holds the guitar up towards the ceiling as he plays the solo. I can't stand it. I mean, Adrian is standing right --- there! Why do they need that guy? The leads that he butchers far outweigh the few moments where it's beneficial in any way to have the third guitar. And, not only do we have to suffer through his leads... But, it also means that we have fewer solos to hear Adrian (the best and most interesting guitarist in the band) play.

[/end rant]

Release

I think it says a lot about the integrity of the band members to keep him after Adrian came back. And it says a lot about Adrian as well. People complain about him all the time but he's written quite a few of their better "new" songs. And really, if people didn't "see" him, him being there wouldn't be an issue. I totally understand where you're coming from though, seeing him prance around up there is kinda silly.

tnvol

Ufologist
I agree. The first time I saw them live with him he climbed up on a stack of speakers and was scraping his strings against the edge of the amp and ended up breaking several strings. The whole band was staring at him wondering what the hell he was doing. Hard to believe he has been in the band for over 20 years.

Misterbulbous

I think it says a lot about the integrity of the band members to keep him after Adrian came back. And it says a lot about Adrian as well. People complain about him all the time but he's written quite a few of their better "new" songs. And really, if people didn't "see" him, him being there wouldn't be an issue. I totally understand where you're coming from though, seeing him prance around up there is kinda silly.
yeah, it's kinda a tired argument (not trying to disrespect the OP). Musically, he adds some diversity - albeit a sloppy type of style, but it contrasts well with the other guys). He's probably just a stand-up guy who's done nothing wrong to deserve being booted. But yeah, the prancing and playing guitar with hands over the neck is a little poseur-like.

Bankston

Took me a while to get used to Janick but what won me over is that he's written a lot of great post-reunion material. And I appreciate that he is putting on a show. I love Adrian and Davey but they're pretty much statues on stage, which is fine because Bruce and Steve are all over the place. Then again, you can't even see Nicko.

Janick has been in the band as long as Adrian, btw, when you compare their respective tenures.

Also, I loved his guitar work on Bruce's solo material.

There's enough guitar parts in Maiden's music to justify three guitarists. Listen to one of their recent live shows compared to Live After Death and you can hear the greater depth in the guitars. The one thing I hate is when he doubles Adrian's solo on The Trooper. It's like listening to two people talk at the same time.

GtrWiz

IIRC he's an old friend from their club days, they probably just didn't want to kick their buddy out of the band. Though I think his role should be strictly rhythm.

freedom's door

Couldn't stand him at first, but at this point him being in the band doesn't irk me, unless he's going overboard with the theatrics.

Omega

Janick writes songs that absolutely fit Maiden's style.
Janick's soloing does not fit Maiden's style.
Janick's soloing covering other Maiden's guitarists REALLY doesn't fit as he doesn't respect the music.
Janick's onstage presence is what not to do. Period. Sad, really.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Given the long term success of that band, why mess with a good thing? Many from that era and genre are long gone, IM is still pumping out relevant, good music...

JCM 800

I don't really care for Janick in Maiden, but he's a package deal with Bruce because of their previous work together and friendship. I highly doubt the rest of the band would be willing to piss off Bruce and risk losing him to dump Janick.

halorealm7

IIRC he's an old friend from their club days, they probably just didn't want to kick their buddy out of the band. Though I think his role should be strictly rhythm.
Right and what the hell does Maiden have to prove? If it come down to losing a friend or losing some sales, my guess is they would lose some sales. Glad to see 'em out and having fun. Yeah it's bad but hey....it's still Maiden.

Ben R

* To whomever asked... I am not a Richie Blackmore fanatic. You must have me confused with someone else.

* I cannot just "gloss over" Janick's membership in the band. One of my favorite things about Iron maiden was always Adrian Smith's lead work. They threw this other guy in there and now he takes half of the leads that I used to look forward to hearing -- and BUTCHERS them. He never seems to play Dave Murray's solos (which are often redundant with that strat neck pickup position selected). Oh, no... He has to take all of Adrian's better solos. It irritates me.

Ben R

Adrian left. Janick took over his parts when he joined. Simple as that.
It's not really as simple as that. I'd like to know why they bothered taking Adrian back just to have him play a bit role and stand in the corner while some guy who isn't anywhere near as good as he is takes and butchers all of the leads that he had once written and popularized? ...and, also while many fans (like myself) get irritated and enjoy the experience less than we would, otherwise.

I'd be willing to compromise. Let him stay in the band, but relegate him to "no solos" or more of Dave Murray's solos, instead of Adrian's.

Ben R

Don't be a smart a$$. You know what I meant. I'll re-phrase it for you...

As a fan of Iron Maiden, I'd find his inclusion in the band easier to accept if he either played no or fewer solos from the old songs.

Is that better, Mr. sarcastic moderator?

Release

Hahahaha! I knew what you meant. And I completely understand your frustration. Adrians leads adds so much to the songs and to hear them being butchered as this guy prances around the stage and throws his guitar in the air just sucks.

But the bottom line is, Adrian quit and Janick took over. It's a kick in the nuts to say... hey, thanks for being there during all those years that we sucked but now we have our favorite guitar player back, you need to just play rhythm now because the fans don't like you, OK? The band enjoy what he brings to the table and Adrian has to see that since he was the one who came back, his role might not be exactly like it was when he left.

It's not ideal for us, but if the band is happy, that's all that matters. Like any band, we're just along for the ride.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom