Why doesn't Rivera get more love on here than it does??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AchtungBaby, Jul 17, 2006.

1. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

I suppose this is more of a boutique oriented forum in general, but, I think these are smokin amps!! The reason im asking is because I have a late 90's model Knucklehead on lay away, and I'm wondering if theres a specific reason they dont get much love around here ha. They seem to be very well built from what I can tell. I would love to hear some Rivera testimonies....... good and bad.

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
  3. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

I hope that was a joke, seeing as how that link you gave me pulled up nothing ha.

4. hawkeyeinexile

worked for me. well, do this: "Search", "Advanced Search", key words: "rivera", "Search Titles only" - you should get at least a 100 threads

good luck

5. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

Cool. Thanks man.

6. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

I wasn't mad at all. My apologies. I know thats its hard to convey sarcasm over the net.

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

There's a lot of Rivera love around these parts, pardner — love, respect, mileage, gigs, recordings, and tinnitus.

:)

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I really like Rivera amps! Great tone, versatility, built like tanks - what's not to like? I played Rivera's for a long time - never disappointed. I hope you enjoy the Knucklehead!

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. Had an M60 for awhile. terrific amp.

10. haslar

haslar Member

yup. I played an M60 1x12" for a few years, and really enjoyed it.

11. Filter428

Filter428 Member

I had an R-100 but sold it because I needed cash at the time. I've been missing it ever since. Paul Sr. and Jr. and extremely cool dudes. I always thought their amps were underated. For the money you can't beat 'em.

12. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Love mine. I have the KHR55/EL34s. This past weekend I installed an RCA blackplate in ch.1 , Valvo ch.2, GE Mullard ch.3 and a Tele 12at7 in the PI. Each tube really impacts the amp. Riveras do respond to tubes. I play mostly classic rock and this amp does a great job. The Mullard works perfect for me in ch.3-I don't use it for insane gain and the Valvo sounds great for the Marshall sound. I use the K212 with a Red Fang and Governor along with the los lobottom 1. After the tube change I was having so much fun I didn't want to stop playing.

Welcome to Rivera!

Johnny

13. uberpict

uberpict Member

I'm lovin' my Knucklehead still, can't see selling it unless I absolutely have to. Great tone and they truly are built like tanks, looks like mil-spec construction throughout. I think you'll be pleased with the Knucklehead once you have re-tubed and re-biased it properly. Bought mine used and it came with some very old SED EL34's which had drifted badly plus the pre-amp tubes were Sovtek's which seem lifeless to me in any amp, IMHO. Re-placed with NOS pre-amp tubes and new E34L's and it's a dream to play; very dynamic, great tone with lot's of options. Enjoy!
    :BEER

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Used an M100 w/ their TAC112 EV-loaded cab for a long while. Channel two of that rig was/is amazing.

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

No shortage of love from this Rivera Jake owner. Probably the closest thing to a perfect amp I've found. I'll definitely be getting another one or two Riveras within the next couple years.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Which preamp tubes?

I've been back and forth on my Knucklehead Reverb 100. Loved it, fell out of love, now liking it more when using GT12ax7Ms and Svetlanas (the idiot who sold it to me had put in two...yes only two... Mesa 6L6s because he heard they "sounded better") .

I haven't done as much tube substitution as I would have liked. I had set up a blueprinting appointment with Myles, but we weren't able to get together as it turned out, and recently I've been more involved with combos.

Any suggestion re tube substitutions?

My current Rivera Gear is :
    6L6 KHR 100
    K212 w/Rivera Celestion 85's
    K212 w/V30's
    Sub 1 (1x12 JBL 300 watts)
    Sub 2 (2x12 JBL 500 watts)

So far the Sub 1 is my favorite Rivera Product. What it does for any open back combo is unbelievable. I wouldn't play a paying gig without one.

stratzrus

17. hawkeyeinexile

i just noted i've got a Cele 85 in my TAC-112 cab. neat speaker. wonder why they quit usin' 'em...

:cool:

18. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

I have a 2004 Fandango 100W head with the boost mods. It now sits in a corner of my basement next the a Yamaha TC100. They deserve each other. It's my own fault. Should have put it on the bandstand first.

One day I'll sell the POS. No clean headroom (yes I changed all tubes). Reverb hums (tube was changed). Crunch to make the dogs howl. I guess you love or you don't. I'm a don't.

Called Trace at Voodoo to see if he would overhaul it. He said, and I paraphrase: We've given up trying to modify Riveras. People expect miracles and we just can't make them happy.

BB

19. uberpict

uberpict Member

There are just too many to list but I'm using a combination of RCA and Sylvania pre-amp tubes. Gives the amp really good frequency response (the RCA may be too shrill for some) with a lot's of balls. It sounds really good cranked but I have to squish the signal down with a Hotplate to bedroom levels most of the time which almost kills the dynamics. The base harmonic tone is there but an amp has to be pushing a speaker to really sound good, IMHO. Sorry, I digress.

You're using the GT12AX7M, you should try an original Mullard in V1. That's on my "tubes to try" list when I have some mad money available. How do you like the GT Mullard? I've tried Sovtek, Audio Glassic (sp?, it's Chinese Nth Generation from what I can tell), JJ and some other NOS American tubes but always come back to the RCA and Sylvania's.

It really boils down to personal preference, tone is so subjective. Sometimes tube changes are like spices in a good meal, you know it's there, you like it but can't quite put you're finger on what it is. It's still very interesting and fun to try, at some point you learn whether you like Mexican food, Chinese or boiled turnips. :D

20. uberpict

uberpict Member

Is that the 6L6 version of the KHR? If not yank those tubes and put in EL34's, than can cause big trouble. Just heads up. ;)