Why doesnt someone make customized boxes for effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zosozep7, Jan 27, 2012.

Would you like the option of buying a customized only box?

1. yeah

2. neah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I would love to take a fuzz face and drop it into a cool looking customized box. I dont like FF encasements! Theyre too big. How any pedal i choose! Order a box and drop the guts in and wa la! Kick ass looking pedal. Does anyone do this at a reasonable price? There are virtually 100s of effect builders, why not someone that just makes customized boxes. How bout it? Would you buy one?

2. tibbon

tibbon Member

Isn't that essentially what Laura Bennett and others so?

Just buy a Hammond enclosure and have someone paint it. Finding local (or non-local) artists can't be hard. Drill and install pedal. Boom, done.

I'm sure someone could start an Etsy store with this though. I personally don't care what my pedals look like any more than I care what my road cases, cables or picks look like.

3. morrissey

morrissey Member

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Do you mean the metal case, or storage boxes?

As far as cases, the builders that do either need to hire on/hire a freelance artist, or spend a lot of building time doing artwork.

If you mean storage boxes, do you mean individual, or a big box for multiple pedals?

5. alexdaniel

alexdaniel Member

You could get in contact with both JHS or This1smyne. They both offer rehousing as a service, but I am sure either of them would help you design an enclosure and then sell it as is.

6. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

I've actually been thinking about doing something like this, but had no clue if there was a market. I love painting cases, but my limited pedal building experience gives me a love/hate relationship with building pedals. I'd be much happier just painting boxes and rehousing.

7. zosozep7

Wundergussy, metal boxes. Im sure there are people that make them why arent they here at TGP selling them.full time? Ill bet there would be some money to be made doing it. I would live to buy a Wall graphic designed box for a muff.

8. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

9. zosozep7

Lets take the Skreddy Top Fuel for instance. Ive seen them.sell for $700 with the Wall graphic. You could buy a normal TF for $200 and then buy a custom box for say $100 to $150 or maybe less. Just using that as an example though. Im just suprised a builder hasnt taken something like this on. Or an independent aetist. I would buy one for my favorite pedal i knew i.wasnt going to part with.

10. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

11. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

Are you looking for a pedal box that you design with someone that's more of a graphic placed on a pedal, or just something hand painted? I've done several hand painted pedals, but nothing with silk screened graphics. I may try a rehouse of a Dano next week to see about the difficulty.
    Here are a couple enclosures that I've done. PM me if you are interested, and we can see if I can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. zosozep7

Sweet Dan7! Thats what im talking about! They dont have to be painted. Silk screen would be cool too. Engravings too like the Moolon pedals.

13. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

My brother is looking into buying a new tabletop CNC machine that has come out for hobbyists, small businesses, etc. I don't know why he wants one, he doesn't do anything to justify having one. He asked me if I knew of anything to make with one. Of course the first thing I though of was customized stompboxes. I would buy one.

14. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao
    Love your work man!

15. dlab

dlab Member

Isn't there some guy that makes enclosures with funky squiggly lines on this very forum, perhaps posting in this very thread even?

@Zoso, unless I'm getting confused, any number of builders here will rehouse your pedals in "nicer" boxes...

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I think custom graphics are great.

But you might want to think about the fact that in general a quality pedal (not a dano) that has been rehoused will sell for the same amount and more often less than the original.

The Wall graphic is more expensive due to the rarity and they were done by the original builder.

17. zosozep7

I wouldnt want to get a graphic pedal to sell and make money. I would want it for my own self enjoyment.

18. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I paint enclosures in my spare time.

Here's pics of my most notable one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  19. zosozep7

Stratm, thata really nice! A little Purple Haze! Love that color!

20. zosozep7

I would like to be able to buy the custom box and rhen install the guts myself. That would be the easiest for the independent painters i believe. I could take a MXR CC and install the guts into a custom box. You independents could make up boxes in advance and sell them to be used with mxr or many of the standard enclosures?