Why doesn't the DS-1 get much respect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Armchair Bronco, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Member

Why doesn't the DS-1 get much respect? I got mine with a 10% off coupon at GC and it was already on sale at the time, so I paid around $25, which is a freaking awesome deal for *any* pedal.

I think it sounds pretty good for a $25 pedal. And there are lots of mods out there if you can handle a soldering iron and have a drill press.

Sure, the thing's not a boutique pedal, but I don't think I need to be embarassed if I have a DS-1 on my pedalboard.

Why all the hate?

2. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

The DS-1 is a really good pedal. Go blind taste testing, and many people here would mistake it for a MUCH more expensive pedal. Do the Keeley mods (or better yet, send it to RK and have him do them), and you've got a VERY functional dirt box.

One of the most underrated pedals out there.

Frankee likes this.
  3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I may be wrong but I'm not really seeing all that much "hate" for the DS-1 here...

Mainly positive stuff actually. As a matter of fact, I hear more things about modding the DS-1 with Analogman, Keeley, and DIY stuff.

Other than that not much else. I don't think you hear as much stuff and praise because its not something new. Its been around forever, its offered everywhere, and its very very inexpensive. Not much new to discuss except when modding or using it as a reference for tone.

nnnnnn and Barnzy like this.
  4. KBN

KBN Member

I think it has a certain reputation not because of what it is, but because of what some people do with it. Being that it is so affordable and so available means that it is generally a guitar players first distortion pedal. Take just about any distortion pedal though and max out the gain, run it into a small solid state combo amp, and play Enter Sandman poorly and it could get the same reputation. Look around a little closer... They aren't as maligned as you may think. I have an early Taiwan DS-1 that I modded pretty heavily and have ended up undoing most of it. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I figured out that a lot of Boss overdrives actually sound quite good when you run them into a good amp that is really cooking. Low volume and/or lousy amps are not their friends.

5. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

Hey all,
    EJ used one on his '06 tour with Joe Satriani:
    [​IMG]

I don't know if it was something he dug, or just tried it during sound check, but the proof is there. :D

6. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

I don't think it's bad.. I just feel that it is only suitable for grunge due to its nasty character. It is much more versatile modded though.

7. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

My Ds1 ultra is one of my favorite distortion pedals

8. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Member

I play my SG Classic into an DS-1 that goes straight into my Orange Tiny Terror. It turns my TT into a 2 channel clean/dirty amp. The DS-1 doesn't get along with some of my clean pedals (DMM and Small Clone), but on its own it pumps out some great distortion.

9. Hazrus

Hazrus Member

Because it sounds horrible!!!!

(IMHO of course)

Telejester likes this.
  10. In Tune

In Tune Member

Were begging you to send it to Robert Keeley for THE mod......for low coin..... Come on,,,Show us some love.:mob

11. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Member

I'm spending all my "Guitar Cash" on a pedalboard right now...but I've gone the low-budget, IKEA route so I'm saving some major coin ($8 for the wood + $30 for the velcro versus $100 for a Pedaltrain Jr + $169 for a Voodoo Labs PP2)...Even so, I think I'd rather spend the money on an MI Audio Neo Fuzz before I upgrade to a Keeley mod for my DS-1. :stir

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...actually I don't see any "hate", but even more so...why this need to have "respect" for a pedal you like and use?

You like it, you respect it, you need others to do it too? I love and use a lot of pedals (and think they are GREAT pedals) that rarely if at all get discussed here. I mention them from time to time when somene asks about a good <whatever, OD, delay, etc.> pedal. Almost invariably the post gets ignored for more (not just boutique, but just more non-mass produced, or percieved as non-mass produced) esoteric pedals.

It's human nature. In fact it's pretty funny, because I almost think that nowdays MOST pedalboards have a higher percentag "small builders" than the big guys like Boss, Digitech, Ibanez, etc.

So maybe the pendulum will swing a little the other way after a while...then youæll see "why no love for the Klon?" with text "everybody is always raving about Boss, and Dunlop, but seems like the Klon gets no respect" etc.

It's just human nature (especially us guys...the hunter gatherer instinct) to feel like if you go off the beaten path and hunt down a really cool UNKNOWN (which is funny because here EVERYONE usually knows all the boutique and small builders pedals) pedal, and then go back by the campfire and retell how you found it, and have folks admire and go try to find one too....

I really love the Marshall Govn'er (the new, easily obtainable ones), the Digitech Tone Driver (lots of known TS type OD's models, in one digital pedal, with "morphing"), Visual Sound H2O (that gets slightly more respect, but not "enough" in that I think it is hands down the best chorus around), and severasl other pedals, that get no or little "respect"...

We like NEW, SHINY, RARE things....that's all.

nkt275 and Anacharsis like this.
  13. jtwang

jtwang Member

I really tried to like the DS-1 (including the modded versions) but it just doesn't do it for me as a drive/dist. I guess it's aquired taste or that players like how the pedal reacts and feels or something.

Cutting the clipping diodes and using it as a clean boost is a pretty good thing though, but then it's hardly a DS-1 anymore.

14. storm319

storm319 Member

When the DS-1 came out in the late 70's, it was the closest thing to a Marshall stack in a box. Today, there are about a million other pedals that do it better.

I wish I could do a blind test because all Boss pedals have a very distinct sound (partially due to the buffer).

I bought a Marshall Guv'nor last year at GC during a sale for $24 new. That pedal is a infinitely better than a DS-1.

15. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

Yes it can be mod'd I'm sure, but the pedal in it's stock form has very low output unless you crank the distortion, and then it just sounds like an electric knife or shaver IMO.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DS-1 does not have good "feel" IMO. While other pedals seem to give you that extra "oomph", the DS-1 is like the lazy high school kid you hire to organize your warehouse who will do the bare minimum and plop back on his ass at the first opportunity.

Having said that, if I was in a rush and the first pedal I grabbed was a DS-1, I would be able to put it to good use. Dialed in correctly, it's more than just "useable".

17. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've said for a long time that a simple mod (two small T1 red LEDs from Radio Shack) to replace the silicon clipping diodes really transform that pedal. Ups the output and makes the tone control more usable.
    For the price, it's hard to argue that it's not a deal.

I do agree that the Marshall Guv'nor GV-2 is a better pedal for not much more money. More controllable eq.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

But wait till you move up to a $50 pedal - aha, aha.:banana

19. Presc

Presc Member

I had one for a long time that I got for about $30 when I first started playing 10 years ago. I've run that thing through everything - solid state Fenders, Peavey Classics, Mesa Boogies, Blackface Fenders. Not once has that pedal improved the sound of the amp to my ears. In stock form, it's buzzy and super saturated, but it's also razor thin sounding too. Not warm, no note bloom.

If you like it, cool, enjoy it. But I'm pretty sure if you put it next to a few more expensive ODs you would hear a pretty big difference.

20. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.