Why doesn't the Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 get more love?

Redrum

Still have my HR DeVille 4x10. Got it back in 96'/97'ish. I'm pretty sure it was the first year they were sold by Fender. It gets limited play time these days but it's hanging in there. I've always liked the way the amp sounds, especially the clean tones. Big and bold, to say the least. Probably worth dragging to a tech and get some love.

And to think I used to hook it up to a 2x12 cab.....lol. Those days are over, that's for sure.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I had one many years ago. I have many of the same complaints as others seem to have.

The volume knob was too abrupt, so the amp was just too loud too quickly. It was a very cold, hard, sterile clean sound. I struggled to get the OD channel sounding good since the clean channel was so loud, but it was...umm...not good. The gain knob crapped out fairly quickly, which needed to be repaired.

BTW, I don't consider myself a big "cork sniffer", as someone mentioned in a previous post. I've been perfectly happy gigging with a Quilter 101R for the past couple years, but I just did not like the HR Deville.

R2-DD2

here's one for you -- back in the day I was rehearsing with my band weekly at this rehearsal studio.

We took some time off because we had to replace a singer, when we came back, the front desk guy told us Prince had been there for the last month. Prince walking around. Prince using the disgusting bathroom. Prince shooting the **** with people. Missed him by a week. I was in the ONLY funk band that rehearsed there! Would have met him for sure...

Anyway, this actually didn't surprise me, my luck's always like that. Made me despise the singer that skipped out on us even more though...

back to the point - when you walked into the rehearsal rooms, they'd usually have a Marshall JCM900 half stack or a Fender Hot Rod Deville sitting there for you to choose from if you didn't want to lug your own gear. They were usually in pretty rough shape too.

What did Prince play through the whole time he rehearsed there? The Fender Hot Rod Deville.

bigben55

I had a 4x10 Blues Deville, which i later traded for a 4x10 Hot Rod Deville, back when they first came out. Why? I hoped the HR would have a more usable gain channel. It didn't. I was relatively young and didn't know much, but remember the clean channel being nice.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
Mine was fine, but I like other amps better. It was a us made HRDV 2x12. It was heavy...
I had a tech change the volume pot taper, it made the amp a bit easier to work with.
I didn’t dislike the drive tones but I like other amps ‘natural’ gains more.

RCM78

I have an old one I use as a pedal platform for practicing at home. I rebiased it and put a set of M75’s in it.
Great clean! Awesome for pedals. I wish the volume pot had a more gradual taper.

chance0

Series IV HRDs solve volume taper issues and resistors have better wattage rating. Pine cabinets reduce the amps to featherweight. But yeah, reliability issues are likely because they are, as word has it, the best-selling amp of the modern era. And they get abused. They are workhorse/clubbing amps, not home or studio jammers.

The drive is FANTASTIC, if you know what you're getting into. You make different music with it than a Marshall or a Vox because its voicing is so different. But that's a good thing, because it's another crayon in box to get you out of a creative rut.

coltonius

Señor Member
here's one for you -- back in the day I was rehearsing with my band weekly at this rehearsal studio.

We took some time off because we had to replace a singer, when we came back, the front desk guy told us Prince had been there for the last month. Prince walking around. Prince using the disgusting bathroom. Prince shooting the **** with people. Missed him by a week. I was in the ONLY funk band that rehearsed there! Would have met him for sure...

Anyway, this actually didn't surprise me, my luck's always like that. Made me despise the singer that skipped out on us even more though...

back to the point - when you walked into the rehearsal rooms, they'd usually have a Marshall JCM900 half stack or a Fender Hot Rod Deville sitting there for you to choose from if you didn't want to lug your own gear. They were usually in pretty rough shape too.

What did Prince play through the whole time he rehearsed there? The Fender Hot Rod Deville.
I love those amps, but I wouldn't use Prince as a metric for "great tone". Dude could play though!

M.C. Frescher

I've only played through one a handful of times personally but my band mate has used almost nothing but a Hot Rod DeVille for the majority of his music career. No complaints in the tone department here. It has always performed flawlessly unlike some VOX amps I used prior.

Last edited:

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
The one thing I've found with this amp is the cabinet is very directional. Get off axis from 10 or 20 degrees and the volume and brightness drop off significantly.

blackba

The fender hot rod deville and blues deville are workhorse amps. Great bang for the buck. Like others I do see a bunch along with the hot rod deluxe in for repair. Always preferred the 410 deville to 212 deville, the 410s help reduce some of the sterileness I hear in the amp, which I attribute to Power section.

I will say I prefer the venerable peavey classic50 to the hot rod deville, but the deville is a good amp for those wanting nice tube tone on a budget. But when I compare Either to higher priced amps, their limitations become evident. So they are what they are , great bang for the buck and reasonably reliable.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
The fender hot rod deville and blues deville are workhorse amps. Great bang for the buck. Like others I do see a bunch along with the hot rod deluxe in for repair. Always preferred the 410 deville to 212 deville, the 410s help reduce some of the sterileness I hear in the amp, which I attribute to Power section.

I will say I prefer the venerable peavey classic50 to the hot rod deville, but the deville is a good amp for those wanting nice tube tone on a budget. But when I compare Either to higher priced amps, their limitations become evident. So they are what they are , great bang for the buck and reasonably reliable.
I paid $1400.00 for my '65 Deluxe Reverb Special Re-Issue and it's 18W. For a dollar per tube watt rating, the Hot Rod DeVille costs $7.50 per watt and the DRRI is ten times higher at $78.00 per watt. I'm not getting ten times the tone out of the DRRI so the DeVille is a fantastic value.

drewl

Is there a common theme? Mine’s a 2004. Anything I should be doing as preventative maintenance?
Clean the jacks with some DeOxit every six months.
If you're handy with a soldering iron you can re-flow the pots and jacks.

Other than that, just take care of it and it will be okay.

As far as the clean channel volume jump, swapping the volume pot for a linear taper or lower value makes it more manageable.

gigs

I've had a Deville 4x10 for almost 20 years. Its no longer my main amp (Friedman Runt 20) but I still use it regularly. Its been great, sounds great, takes pedals well, can compete volume wise with a helicopter or small plane. Since its fallen out of favor its picked up a few small issues but the only thing thats truly busted is the reverb. Someday I'll take it in for repair.
Yup, still got mine and use it. Replaced speakers with 2 weber vintage ceramics and 2 weber vintage alnicos. Love it.

Last edited:

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Clean the jacks with some DeOxit every six months.
If you're handy with a soldering iron you can re-flow the pots and jacks.

Other than that, just take care of it and it will be okay.

As far as the clean channel volume jump, swapping the volume pot for a linear taper or lower value makes it more manageable.
Thanks, I'll add that to my to-do list or maybe take it to my amp tech who lives closeby.

blackba

I paid $1400.00 for my '65 Deluxe Reverb Special Re-Issue and it's 18W. For a dollar per tube watt rating, the Hot Rod DeVille costs $7.50 per watt and the DRRI is ten times higher at $78.00 per watt. I'm not getting ten times the tone out of the DRRI so the DeVille is a fantastic value.
You are right, the deville is a great value.

We have been conditioned to look at cost per watt and think of more watts as better. This is really the old model though. If you look at vintage fender bf/sf amps you have a deluxe reverb selling for significantly more than a same year, similar condition twin reverb.

There is a local 72 super reverb that was sold due to being a large amp, now it’s up for sale again for $800. These poor big iron amps need some love.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
You are right, the deville is a great value.

We have been conditioned to look at cost per watt and think of more watts as better. This is really the old model though. If you look at vintage fender bf/sf amps you have a deluxe reverb selling for significantly more than a same year, similar condition twin reverb.

There is a local 72 super reverb that was sold due to being a large amp, now it’s up for sale again for $800. These poor big iron amps need some love.
If I had more room, I'd own a 4x12 cab. Need a bigger studio.

rolsen

Fender Hot Rod series amps seemed to be the amp de jour for the indie bands at the local dives. I've seen more than I can count at those types of venues. I think once the 16 yr old graduates from solid state Peavey, the Hot Rod is an obtainable tube amp, and one not associated with 'dinosaur' rock amps (btw, I'm a dinosaur rock amp loving guy, but the millennial and younger hipsters don't want Marshall behind them).

I've heard some dialed in just fine, but I've heard too many set way clean with a tubescreamer kicked on up front... that is not a good sound, to my ears anyway, but it seemed to be the sound of 'I'm indie, I'm not rock' bands comprised of 22 yr olds on a budget. I'd think the HR would be a good pedal platform amp on a budget, but I'm not the right guy to ask about pedal platform situations. I like my amp to do the main tones, my pedals add swirlyness or delay.

Trending Topics