Why don't 4-12's need ports?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Jul 2, 2006.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey!

So, I am in process of loading my Orange 4-12. It is going to take a while. As of right now, I am only playing through one speaker that is loaded in the cab and the whole cab sounds fantastic. I turn it up and there is sound everywhere. It is not like a regular 4-12 that is fully loaded of course, that is going to be beamier. So this scenario right now has me wondering about porting... Moreover, the legitimacy of those cabinets that are 1-12 but sized like a 2-12, and the 2-12 that are sized like a 4-12. Makes me want to leave 1 speaker out of the 4-12 at the top for just this purpose. I figger that is goint to be my stealth answer to "control freak" soundguys syndrome as well. I will simply put the mic in the port and tell them that I like "this" speakers sound the best. Perhaps I can turn my amp up a little more :BEER

Thanks,
    M.E.

Edit: those cabs are called "detuned" cabs. I am going to look into the theory of them.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Berrwy Intaresting.

I've seen some guys that prefer a 4x12 open back so makes sense.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Some do - old Hiwatt, new THD...

4. michael.e

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I took the bottom two V10's out of a Marshall 4x10 closed back cabinet, closed it up and gave it a try. It sounds better to my ears by far. I actually haven't found any close back cabinet I like after trying several. Now let me try the same experiment with the Bogner 4x12 I have for sale...

6. afm409

afm409 Member

i am doing a detuned setup right now with the ev force.

used to running ev's. beat the crap out of em.

hopefully in a few weeks i will have some clips.

the cab so far is really good. big bottom that is for sure.

updating tubes and new guitar updates.

i have 2- 2x12's, one with evl 12's, other old bassman witht the jensens. i run the ev's because i am not worried about taking the feedback and howling punishment. i tune the rest of the rig in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

me? - power tube distortion is a must. hence, tilt back and diffusor.

20watts.

i wear one ear plug, two - once in the zone.

7. michael.e

Excellent info! Thanks guys!!

So after playing at a louder level for a while, I think this is pretty dang neat! Good gravy! I had no idea! So what I think I am going to do is keep the one 30 watt Bleu Dog in the top with a dedicated input for smaller gigs. It compresses very nicely and sounds super thick and chewey under all types of gain circumstances. I am planning on putting a pair of Scumbacks along the bottom of the cab, I will dedicate another input specifically for them and I will have them in the bottom location so I will be able to keep them low enough so that my clearsonic panel will keep the screaming pair at bay at higher volumes and not deal with the beam-0-death. I will leave one port, or speaker opening available for stealth mic'ing and that really cool swirl that happens when I play. Then I can do my hippie dance!

Far out!
    M.E.

8. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

I played with a bass guitarist who used a SF Bassman w/ the matching 2x15 cabinet w/ the back off - It really sounded great!

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have an Avatar 4X12 that didnt sound right to me until I cut the back in three pieces,experimented and left it 1/3 open back. Sounds bigger,less congested and boxy .:AOK

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

There's a difference between "ported" and "detuned" a port has a dramatic effect on the low end, depending on what range it's tuned to, as long as you are playing loud enough for the air to compress and the port to resonate.

A detuned cab is pretty much like you described, a 2x12 with one speaker in it.
    Never played one but I believe it's a more subtle effect to a ported cab.

11. buddaman

buddaman Member

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I tried it with 2 2 x12" cabinets. Leaving each one only with one speaker and one 12" speaker hole. I think they sounded WAY better.

13. afm409

afm409 Member

still constructing a 4x12 marshall spec cab. am going to see how 2-12's work as detuned. the diffusors will be cut right into the baffle. will tilt this one also. will see how this one goes.

never been a fan of the tilt but i find it works in the clubs. i can turn the amp up, not get the complaints, and stepping into the sweet spot is literally that.

the 15" detuned cab is big but compared to the 4x12 it is easier to place on the tailgate. handles on the sides and one suitcase handle on the top. it is not that bad