Why don't all Fenders come with jumbo frets?

I've had an American Special Strat and now an American Performer Strat with jumbos. Other fret sizes like medium jumbo just don't feel the same. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be the preferred fret size? I love them: heaps of room to grab a string for a bend, even with a low action.

Discuss. Prove me wrong.

FuzzyAce

It's guitar specific for me. While I gravitate to jumbo frets generally, I do have a tele and strat with vintage size frets and 7.25" radius, and they play great. Really depends on your setup. Obviously, they wear out quicker though.

ripgtr

I had big frets on 2 strats (it was a 90s thing), pulled them off and replaced them with 6105, which are tall but not wide, so no speed bumps. I also got a neck with vintage frets. No problem bending them.
I don't like jumbo frets. Wouldn't buy a guitar with them. I'd pass.

27sauce

I had big frets on 2 strats (it was a 90s thing), pulled them off and replaced them with 6105, which are tall but not wide, so no speed bumps. I also got a neck with vintage frets. No problem bending them.
I don't like jumbo frets. Wouldn't buy a guitar with them. I'd pass.
The 6105's are perfect for me. I even have them on my old Gibsons.

I dig the feel of a 7.25" board with small frets. It feels "right". There's a '00's Clapton start at a local shop that I could play for hours, its set up just right. Can't stop thinking about it!

Jedi

Not everyone likes huge frets. I personally don't like huge frets. They may be helpful with lead playing but feel like railroad ties when moving around the fret board to me. Buy hey, I like a vintage neck radius of 7.25, so what do I know. YMMV.

Some people think jumbo frets are wimpy.

9s with jumbo frets is going to feel pretty slippery compared to 11s with vintage frets.

Jabby92

I've had an American Special Strat and now an American Performer Strat with jumbos. Other fret sizes like medium jumbo just don't feel the same. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be the preferred fret size? I love them: heaps of room to grab a string for a bend, even with a low action.

Discuss. Prove me wrong.
For me personally, jumbo frets feel like playing on a railroad track. I hate almost all of them. I much, much prefer medium jumbo or the tall fret that Fender offers on the Professional line since those aren't so damn wide. Reason being is a medium jumbo fret is tall enough to allow good legato playing and feel but not as wide so it feels more comfortable for chordal playing and playing higher up the neck. 24 jumbo or extra jumbo frets feels awful to play up high for me personally, so I don't blame guys like Steve Vai for scalloping the last 3 frets on the JEM model for example. Its all a personal preference thing too and I like feeling the fingerboard more. Low skinny vintage fretwire though I also don't like, but medium jumbo is the perfect in-between size for me.

e???

Jumbos suck. You never touch your fretboard, on big chords you end up pressing strings down too hard and some notes go outta tune, and it also seems to make everyone sound similiar. Or maybe I just can't be myself on them, but either way, real glad not all fenders come with them

RayRay

Gold Supporting Member
Don't you feel that if you press too hard with jumbo frets, the notes go a tat out of tune?
Not at all. I have a Suhr with a scalloped board and medium stainless frets. No issues with intonation. All my other guitars have jumbo frets (except for Knaggs, because I forgot to specify it... doh!).

Trending Topics