Why don't all guitars have the lead coming out of the front?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by conanb, May 24, 2015.

1. conanb

conanb Member

Like my SG does? All my other guitars have it coming out of the usual spot which is a)hard to find when you're standing up wearing the guitar b) more prone to being pulled out if you step on the cable (and haven't fed the cable through your strap like you're supposed to) c) looks boring.
    I wish all my guitars had the cable jack on the front. I prefer how it looks too. Is there any reason the cables usually come out of the "lower side" of the guitar?
    Even aesthetically it doesn't make much sense, the front of the guitar has all this **** on it (vol and tone pots, pickups, strings, selector switches, f-holes) while the side of the guitar is pristine. And then they go ahead and stick a cable jack in it. Why not put it on the front with all of the other technical parts?
    Just a pet peeve of mine.

Starshine likes this.
  2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Why does a strat have 3 single coils? Why does a Les Paul have an angled headstock? Why does a telecaster not have a vibrato? Why does a Ric have toasters for pickups?

Nobody knows, except the men who made them.

ChampReverb and Hey_wilson like this.
  3. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Just wind the cable through your strap and you can't pull it out... My opinion is the SG is an inferior design... To each his own...

4. ixnay

ixnay Member

I think you'll find out you're better off with the jack pulling out if you step on the cable than you would be if you were to step on the cable of your SG the wrong way. Had a friend do this at practice once and it pretty much trashed the cable, jack, and damaged the front of the guitar.

The jack is on the side because that's the best place for it (IMO).

5. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

I don't like it coming out of the top like an sg or strat, the les paul/prs location is best for me

Washburnmemphis, B Money and mikebat like this.
  6. Polyester

Polyester Member

Agreed. When you're talking about a jack set into the wood, the front of a guitar is the worst place for it. It's thin because of the cavity rout, weak because it already has a bunch of holes for the controls, and stepping on the cord will yank it perpendicularly without any way for the cord to pull itself out instead.

What you end up with is the jack ripping itself out of the face of the guitar and taking a chunk of wood with it. It's a nightmare to fix. I've done a few, and getting them back to life takes a lot of work, tons of finishing and even then you still have the chance it'll happen again with one step or drop. I ended up relocating the jack to the side on at least one.

Strats and guitars where the jack is in the pickguard are fine. Teles and LPs are fine because stepping on the cord will just yank the plug out. But on SGs and similar guitars, you need to be really careful to always always wrap the cord through the strap because of the possibility of disaster. It's a design flaw.

daa2202, scelerat and Mr Analog like this.
  7. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

my guitar has leads all over, like 35 of them....

8. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I'm fine with either. I have some guitars with it on the side. Some guitars on the front. And some, like the Strat, on the front but angled in.

For the Strats, I like a straight plug. For all the others, a right angle.

But, as others have pointed out, having it on the front could cause much more damage if you step on the guitar cable. Unless it's a Strat.

9. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Why? Because not all guitars are the same, that's why.

Just like bad beer. If you don't like it, buy a different brand.

jrjones likes this.
  10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Why do ANY guitars have the jack in such a stupid place as the SG is what I've always asked.

Total deal-breaker for me, as when I was young I messed up a guitar with it in that spot REALLY bad by stepping on the cable.

If a guitar has a jack on the front, I won't even TRY it, let alone play it.

Put it on the side of the guitar (LP position) imho... always... and only...

Even the classic strat thing drives me crazy.

wetordry, Killed_by_Death and mikebat like this.
  11. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Similar reason to why it isn't a good idea to use a right angle jack plug into the front of a combo amp on a riser or small head on a cab... damage limitation for when the cable jacks want to separate real quick. Have seen a large stack sway rather dramatically once due to just such a precarious situation... fortunately someone went behind the amp just before it went all the way over.

Saves the guitar and hopefully the cable too. However one way in which I find the out of the side type guitar sockets can be annoying is when sitting in the classical position to play.

If you really really don't like them out of the side, you could try getting into some kind of dictatorship situation (perhaps with Angus Young by your side) and then you could ban them! Yay!

8O)

Marc, Director
    Shootout Guitar Cables, UK

conanb likes this.
  12. conanb

conanb Member

Yeah, having read everybodys responses and carefully considered everyones opinion I think I'd just like to go ahead and ban them.

jrjones and peskypesky like this.
  13. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Member

I always loop the cable (w/ right angle plug) through my strap. I'm fine with the side jack except for this:

So I'm starting to like the idea of a jack on the face of the guitar as well. Straight in only though. I hate the angled jack on Strats.

14. doc

doc Member

Count me in with the bunch that dislikes the jack on the face - looks better and works better for me coming off the bottom rim.

mikebat likes this.
  15. Dashface

Dashface Member

I've seen lots of SGs with damage from the cable being ripped out. The side of the guitar is where it should go.

16. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

When you're playing in a classical position isn't the socket and the cable between your legs? I find it goes right between my knees and is completely out of the way

17. conanb

conanb Member

This was actually the reason for my post. I'm sitting here hungover today, slouching in a big chair, playing an SG through my amp, just lounging. I switch to my Gretsch and suddenly I've got ONE position I can comfortably sit in while playing. All because the lead comes out of the bottom of the guitar. I mean, really. I'm so inconvenienced by this. I'm sitting here questioning all my major life decisions. why? WHY????

Yeay, it was kind of annoying. And I'm hungover, did I mention that already?

Gevalt likes this.
  18. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Because it looks funny having the cord sticking straight out. Except maybe the strat that's way better. I like tele's and pauls best

19. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

hamer moved it toward the strap, best place imo, on a Calli, the cable goes in upside down, cant pull it out no matter how hard one rocks

TVvoodoo likes this.
  20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Sometimes you need help on the most obvious of life's little problems.
    Use a right angle plug.
    Route the cable over the strap.
    Works for all standard guitars including strats. Less well on front mount jacks but beats breaking the the whole hole area.
    Pick the right pieces.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Tommy Biggs, conanb and Seth L like this.