Why don't I like Fulltone pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Jan 4, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I have owned both the OCD and Choralflange, and sold them both within days of purchase. They both just seemed to lack something, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I found a good deal on a Fulldrive II mosfet, but I'm reluctant due to my previous disappointments.

Am I missing something? Why are his pedals so popular?

:dude
    Cheers

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Everybody has different ears. Personally, I think the best sounding pedals made today have the letters HBE on them, but that's me....

Having said that, I have a Fulltone Clyde and I love it. I have owned and/or used other Fulltones too, and gave up on them like you did. I never got a good sound out of a Distortion Pro after two years, and I never understood the hype over the OCD. The Octa-Fuzz wasn't bad, but didn't win me over like the HBE UFO did. But again, MY ears.

I think, from a construction standpoint, Fulltone pedals are well made, the workmanship is unbelievable, and the features/price quotient is spot on.

3. jscorno

jscorno Member

I love my Fat-Boost!

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

My first FT pedal was a Fulldrive 2 after a Rat2 it was quite an improvement. I used it for years. When the Dist Pro came out I had to have one, never got anything out of it, traded it to Robert Keeley for a comp. Then came the OCD, same story. Mine was a vers 1 and Mike upgraded it to a Vers 3 for fre which was cool. I do like it better but I still don't use it. So I own 2 FT pedals I don't use. Currently I am using and liking very much the Fat Boost 2.

5. neil99

neil99 Member

Sound good for the most part, reasonably priced compared to some higher end pedals, low end boutique, pretty solid reputation for reliability, readily available.

I have had, and still have a few and they work as advertised.

Love my Clyde, OCD and Fatboost 2!

Kind of a gateway drug.

6. Free

Free Member

I personally don't think I'd make a blanket statement like "why don't I like Fulltone pedals" after just trying an OCD and a Choralflange. There is A LOT more tonal variation to them than that. For instance, for me, they do the fuzz tone scene brilliantly - pedals like the '69 and Soulbender. My point is there is a lot further to go to cover the range of Fulltone...

7. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Returned my fatboost 2 the day I got it,, but my OCD v3 has outlived many OD'S and isnt going anywhere.

8. sanders4617

sanders4617 Supporting Member

I have a FD2... Some days I like it and some days I don't. It is a tubescreamer clone.. so that should help you realize if you want it or not.

9. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

i agree..so far you dont like two..

i will say that i also only tried three (FDII,OCD,fatboost I) the OCD did nothing for me,LOVED the fatboost with my strat.. and the FDII was a great rock,blues pedal? not the most expressive pedal.. i had the tone dimed...dark pedal..and never turned the gain past 8-9am(i play a strat and a tele,super reverb)but smoothed out my tele nicely..loved the comp-cut setting as well..for me(i emphasize ME) it almost totally worked..

i found it to be the "middle/upper class standard"...the ice cream with sprinkles...but it made me want/realize hot fudge and a cherry would be good too....not bagging on mike, im nitpicking and id say i was definitely 2 for 3 on those pedals..besides the FDII is a modern day classic..everyone has one and for a good reason.i say try out the mosfet!:AOK besides its ok if they wind up being not for you..thats the great thing about these kind of builders they all have there stamp on there pedals...barber,menatone,fulltone..its about finding ones that work with your set-up and playing.. ok im hungry after the ice cream talk:drool

10. waveman

waveman Member

humm, I am quite the opposite. I have the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, GT500, and OCD and they are all great pedals IMO.

The OCD is simply one of the best medium gainers out there, that can also server as a mean boost to an already overdriven sounds.

The GT500 is a great pedal as well, though I would have tweaked the distortion a slightly different way, it still sounds great and cuts through at louder volumes, and the boost is fantastic when run after the distortion, I prefer runninq either an E, Fulldrive, or OCD in front to overdrive the distortion rather than the built in boost...it seems to muddy thing up a little. When running the boost before the Distortion, I did discover you could get a thick fuzzish sound if you crank the gain up all the way on the boost side with the volume right at unity, and then set the drive on the distortion side at @3:00.

The Fulldrive I just got yesterday, and have been doing some comparisons with my E, and it holds it's own against it, and it comes very close to the E when setup right, but the E has a little more volume on tap, but the Fulldrive has more tonal options, my favorite being the comp cut.

11. axe2grind

axe2grind Senior Member

Because they found their place with both the working man and the working pro .

12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have found that Fulltone pedal really shine at gig levels. At bedroom levels they may seem lackluster compared to some others. But, in a band, in the mix there are few that cut and sound as good as a Fulldrive or OCD. Even my DP-1 sounded great.... when cranked to gig levels.

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I agree with making a blanket statement after only trying two or three pedals out of a lineup of around 15 to 20 (I'm just guessing here).
    The Tube Tape Echo is an amazingly well built , great sounding tape delay, the Deja Vibe seems to be a favorite around here, the Fulldrive II
    has a huge number of users... the list goes on and on.
    I currently use the FDIIMosfet, OCD v.3, and 69 Fuzz on my pedalboard and they sound as good or better than my other pedals.
    I know some people have been put off by Mike Fuller himself but I always wonder what his side of the story is. I was in the music retail business for 10 years and I saw my fair share of idiots and dickheads when it came to buying, selling, and repairing gear so I'm sure he has dealt with much the same.
    Fulltone, Lovepedal, Menatone, Barber, Analogman, Skreddy and all the other small mostly handmade pedalmaker each give us alot of excellent choices. If you don't bond with this pedal or that one, sell it for pretty much what you paid for it and try something else.

14. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I really like the FD2M. At first I didn't care for it but then I discovered the FM mode. Right now it's perfect for what I do. YMMV :)

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Not all pedal are for everyone.

But on the "you only tried two..." it can really depend. I feel the same way about DLS pedals. I bought an EchoTap and a RotoSim, wanting and expecting to really like them...from clips, from design, etc.

But I just plain didn't. Maybe it was those guitars and amps I used it through, maybe just my style, maybe I didn't use them right, but after much time I sold them on.

I flirted with the idea of buying their chorus, but they aren't cheap (and though not over-priced for the most, Fulltone isn't giving them away either) and to be honest...I am running out of GAS and feel like the two were enough for me.

Doesn't matter if they offer 50 pedals, if your only experience with the first two you try is bad...it does make it harder to shell out for the third.

Doesn't mean they are bad either. I know lots of folks get great use out of their....and they are nice, just not for me.

16. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Bashing? Me no bash! I just had high expectations for two very highly regarded pedals, and I was disappointed. Just curious if I was missing something, and since I don't play live much anymore, but rather at lower volumes for recording, it seems from the replies that perhaps these pedals were designed for use at gig levels. I'll buy that explanation for the OCD, but it shouldn't make any difference for the ChoralFlange.

In any case, I think I'll try the Fulldrive II Mosfet and report back.

17. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Most of Fulltone's pedals are meh, imo, but I really love the '69 and the Clyde Wah. You can have all the others, and I've had quite a few.

18. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Sorry , "bashing" was not a good word to use as you definitely were not bashing merely expressing a valid sentiment. My bad and I hope we can move on in a postive manner.

19. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

it's just like any pedal... You need to try them to see how they sit in your band mix or situation. I think Mike's stuff tends to sound better with single coils and fender amps.... that's his background. I've bought and sold a bunch of Fulltone stuff but I just ordered the Fat Boost 2 and the Supa Trem has been on my pedal board for 3-4 years. Also have the Clyde which is an awesome wah... the best IMHO.

20. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I've had my old red Full Drive for years. I still use it on occasion. The SupaTrem stays with me. Other pedals have been traded. Not every pedal is a winner, for me. The days of me buying pedals unheard just because of the hype are gone. The last pedal that I purchased with big hype, Time Machine Boost, is long gone. I will add that I've kept every AnalogMan pedal I've ever bought.