Why don't I like Fulltone pedals?

Mike R.

I think many people's distaste for pedals comes from not using them in a live situation.

Most pedals were meant to be used live at stage volume througha hot amp and if you use them at bedroom volumes, they tend to sound like doodie.

infiniteposse

I now own 2 OCD's, a Supatrem and a 69. The OCD is just perfect for me at any volume. Its never met an amp it didn't like. I got a second one cause I kept buying od's and getting sad they didn't match my OCD. I'm also patient with new pedals and give my ears time to acclimate.

They may just not float your boat.

Ramblin390

I wont own a fulltone for the simple fact his customer service sux-and he comes across as a arse when you finally get hold of him.

James

I love my Fulltone pedals. I have an OCD Ver. 1, Fat Boost, ChoralFlange and three Black Box power supplies (essential for my set-up and the best thing he ever released, in my opinion.) I used an old original orange Fulldrive 2 for 10 years. Fulltone pedals sound great, are versatile, and don't degrade one's tone when they're off (or on!), in my opinion. I like his whole approach to pedals and gear; updated, tweaked and original versions of classic designs that sound great and are built to last.

:RoCkIn

James

LowWatt

The best boutique builders have their own preferred voicing that they look for when developing circuits. Sometimes it speaks to you, sometimes it doesn't.

Look at Skreddy, Fulltone, and Frantone. Each have certain tonalities you can hear in every one of their dirt boxes throughout their range. I love the way Skreddy voices, but can't get into the other two. Still, I know they make great pedals. They are just pedals aimed at different tastes than mine.

IMO this style of building leads to more great individual options being out there. I'll take that any day over builders trying to come up with some across the board pedal that can appeal to all.

minjason

don't mean to thread jack here - what order do you run these 3 in?

thankx
i would run your 69 fuzz first, then your OCD, then your Fulldrive 2. This is just a suggestion, and you should definitely try out different combinations but here's my reasoning for this. Usually I don't really like to stack my fuzzes, and because they typically are the most temperamental pedals, I like my signal to hit them before they hit my other ODs. The OCD and Fulldrive, on the other hand, work great individually AND stacked. Since the OCD is more amp-like, I would put that first and use it as your primary rhythm OD. The Fulldrive, as you probably know, is a TS-type pedal and has the characteristic mid-hump. This works great when you're using the OCD, then flip on the Fulldrive when you need a little extra push to really cut through the mix. Again, though, you should definitely try out different combinations and see what you like best.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
the 69 and choralflange are in a league of their own...

and u know how i feel about MF.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
Fulltone pedals, to me, have always been like something bright and shiny and cool and new that I got for Christmas as a kid. I loved it at first, but then the novelty wore off and there was nothing substantial there to keep me interested.

I honestly never thought I'd own another Fulltone (and I really didn't want to after some of the things that have gone on here and other places).

BUT I was on a wah hunt and after trying everything available locally (Dunlop, Budda, Teese, Vox, Fulltone) I ended up finding my wah, which was the Clyde Deluxe. I thought for sure I'd be getting a Teese, but that long throw on the CD was what I'd always been wishing for in a wah. And the tone was phenomenal.

So, I guess the take home message from my post is that I totally understand what the OP means, but then again, Fulltone does make a wide range of pedals to try and there could always be that one that you bond with.

sfdoyle

Funny, I was just talking with this guy I met on the internet (in regards to gear of course) and he made a very good claim about the Fulltone Pedals and I think he's right, Mike is stratocaster guy, he loves Hendrix and Robben Trower, most of his pedals come alive with a Strat and Fender or Marshall style amps I believe. The guy I was talking to said once he started playing his fulltone pedals through a Strat they totally came alive...so maybe thats the reason...?

none the less its all subjectived as we all know, why do you think we are here (thegearpage) to view, explore and try new and better things....keep it alive. Long live the Pedal King! yikes.....so wonder I'm so broke! :jo $$

Mel

Dandy13

I've only tried the '69 and I love that pedal. Just from reading a lot of posts, I gather that most people's general distaste for fulltone pedals comes from a few bad experiences with the builder himself and maybe others who buy into those stories without having experienced them first hand. I've never needed to speak with him. What i can say is the build quality of my fulltone is excellent and because of this I would not hesitate to buy another in the future. Even if the pedal isn't my cup of tea i'm sure it could be resold for almost what you paid for it. It's not a Behringer for pete's sake. bottom line is different srokes for different folks. there is little risk in trying them out.:YinYang

Paul Parrish

The "problem" with fulltone (as I see it) is actually a blessing if you don't mind revisiting the products ocasisionally. A pedal that you hate one month blows your mind the next because they constantly change things... without regard to what the fallout is going to be. I guess that's a luxury of being a small company with no one to answer to or tell you "no!"
Case in point; Clyde wah.
As an owner of old Voxes, I have never been interested in the Fulltones played in the past (bright, thin) until I plugged in to a newer one (has a nice rubber treadle instead of the skateboard tape) and a round MuMetal covered Inductor. F%$#! it Smokes any and all I have played. I bought it.
GT-500; early units were too bright, the Boost side was too Bassy, I heard it straight away. No sale.
a month later I try another one...warm, tons of gain, and some great overdrive sounds as well that the first versions could not do. I bought it.

I like that everything that fulltone makes now is better than what they did last year, or the year before, and the year before that etc.
Some may say "should have got it right the first time."...but "right" is an evolving concept.

Paul

dave s

I've owned and gigged with a FDII, a Soul Bender and an OCD. I thought all three had a similar tonal voicing. I didn't like it but noticed it on all three pedals.

dave

mds

I still love Fulltone. I think Mike has great ears and is a great designer. My 10 year old FDII is the only pedal I own I don't think about selling. Its just a great pedal. My Clyde sounds amazing too, and I like it much better than the Teese stuff, the Budda, etc. In all the boutique craze he's become yesterdays news to some extent, but he was one of the first on the block and to me still one of the best.

Maven

Silver Supporting Member
I wont own a fulltone for the simple fact his customer service sux-and he comes across as a arse when you finally get hold of him.
I think for the money, Fulltone make great pedals. If I'm getting tone I'm happy with I'm not really concerned if the guy making them comes across as an arse or not. Customer service is important but tone is king!

popsongsmith

Just as a clarifying reference, I absolutely LOVE my Barber Tone Pump and Burn Unit. They seem much more "musical" than the Fulltone stuff, if that makes sense. There's not a sour tone in either one of those boxes. I also happen to be a big fan of the Duncan Twin Tube, which I think is highly underrated, and almost a magic box, magic meaning that just turning it on makes everything sound better.

Fifthstone

Mike is stratocaster guy, he loves Hendrix and Robben Trower, most of his pedals come alive with a Strat and Fender or Marshall style amps I believe.
I think this nails it. I don't care for most of my Fulltone pedals with my Les Paul, but with Strats into my Germino they are stellar. Also, agree about playing volume. These pedals I've found sound best once past a purely bedroom level.

I also do understand the original post in that sometimes I play a Fulltone pedal (most recently the 69) and think eh ... what's the big deal. Nothing special. Felt that way about the 70 fuzz recently, but then plugged in and wow. Right now, I'm not crazy about the Choralflange and prefer my EH Small Clone to it, but that can change.

Bottom line is I like these pedals enough to keep, but aren't always in love with the. But they are well made, shiny and fun to look at, if not always to play.

Trending Topics