• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

why dont i like my 62 hot rod reissue strat?

ericprsse

everybody loves to tell me how much they love my 62 hot rod reissue strat, and how great my tone is with it... so why am I comtemplating selling it?
to me it sounds a little lifeless and the neck is more than uncomfortable.

should i sell? or will i regret it? i feel like for the cash i could get from it, I could find a strat that makes me happier :).

m@2

well, i;m kinda with you. i don't like to fight with a guitar. sell it and try more strats till you find one that works

dazco

because they are made of wood, and wood can vary a LOT. I once bought a new MIJ, the strat everyone raves about. Mine sounded so bad it would have been comical had it not been my loss. You can and will occasionally get a guitar with a bum piece of wood that sounds lifeless. chances are that even affects how you feel about the neck. I'd return it if it's not too late, or sell it and get another one or one thats got a neck you like better.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Run from it.

And when you list it here, take a cue from everybody else and write copy that states it's the best one you have ever heard in your lifetime - and you've played, owned and heard millions. :p

strat6866

What don't you like about the neck, the size of it? I have been thinking about picking one of these up for some time now as I love every feature on this guitar, except i have reservations about the neck size, i am used to playing smaller necks for 26 years.

nikkfuchs

What don't you like about the neck, the size of it? I have been thinking about picking one of these up for some time now as I love every feature on this guitar, except i have reservations about the neck size, i am used to playing smaller necks for 26 years.
Go to the next dealer and try one by yourself, take time. As you can see every one ist different.
I love my HotRodded 62 and I really enjoy the Neck, far away from dead wood.

gill

IME, I can't play with vintage radius necks (7.5") and small frets. It's hard to explain, but it seems like they affect my tone and phrasing. Could that be the issue?

Matt-o-caster

Silver Supporting Member
The Hot Rod series has a 9.5" neck radius w/med. jumbo frets.

I'm curious to know what you didn't like about the neck. You've mentioned it sounded lifeless, but what about it felt uncomfortable?

ericprsse

The Hot Rod series has a 9.5" neck radius w/med. jumbo frets.

I'm curious to know what you didn't like about the neck. You've mentioned it sounded lifeless, but what about it felt uncomfortable?
its simply too large for my hands i suppose, though i wouldn't say i have small hands, so i assume many would experience this.
my cheepy prs se, yamaha semi, and other strat, as well as other strats ive tried feel better. I suppose i the 62 RI hot rod limits my playing to an extent; i have to work really hard to get out what im trying to put into the guitar.

like others have said though, could just be my preferences, or even my particular guitar that are causing me problems. My prs santana se is my cheapest guitar, yet it's still my favorite (after a few mods) because it really projects what im trying to say... while other se's ive tried feel like exactly what they are; cheap imports.

moral of the story, go try for yourself

buddastrat

I had one too, and didn't care for it. Don't go by what others think. If it doesn't do it for you , move on.

Beauhooligan

There is nothing sillier that having a collection of guitars that you really don't enjoy playing. Don't hang onto a boat anchor. Sell it and move on.

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe they're just being nice...seriously, if it's not your thing, who cares what everybody thinks. You have to live with it, they don't.

everybody loves to tell me how much they love my 62 hot rod reissue strat, and how great my tone is with it...to me it sounds a little lifeless .:).

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
If you like that style, there are the Limited ed '59 thin skins. I believe the necks are thinner but still a little larger than the 62 AVRI.

Kingbeegtrs

There is nothing sillier that having a collection of guitars that you really don't enjoy playing. Don't hang onto a boat anchor. Sell it and move on.
It took me a long time to learn this. I had an American Std. Tele that I played for years because it was my 1st Tele. I felt like I was cheating if I played another Tele. Seriously.

When I started building guitars I started to realize that Fender is just a name brand and that if you want a guitar that is "yours" you really have to hand-select all of the ingredients. Swamp ash vs. Alder, Alnico 5 pu's vs. Alnico 2's, Maple vs. Rosewood, Light vs. Heavy, Fat neck vs. thin neck, etc...

What I finally reallized was that I could have a hundred store-bought guitars and still not have what I want. Right now I have one guitar and I'm happier than I was when I had a dozen.

Kelsey

I've played a couple of 62HR's and I don't like the neck at all. That was reinforced when I tried an EJ Strat right after the last 62HR I tried, and the EJ neck felt like home. I love the 1056 soft V neck and don't like a neck with a lot of shoulder like the 62HR. I'd really like to find a rosewood board Strat with a neck that is chunkier than a CS 60 but without too much shoulder -- and preferably one that doesn't cost a few thousand dollars. If it doesn't fit you, then try something else until you find something that works better for you.

Ricman

everybody loves to tell me how much they love my 62 hot rod reissue strat, and how great my tone is with it... so why am I comtemplating selling it?

should i sell? or will i regret it? i feel like for the cash i could get from it, I could find a strat that makes me happier :).
You could also find a Rickenbacker that would make you WAY happier than any Strat ever could....

They don't call me Ricman for nuthin'.....

alexseiji

Yay! my first post! anyways I also own a 62 HR RI and I really didnt like it at first. I immediately started looking for other stratocasters but I decided to give it time and see if it would grow on me. I did fight the guitar often at first. The neck just felt unnaturally big even though my hands are on the bigger end. Its been just about 8 months and I can say that after fighting this guitar I am starting to enjoy playing it alot more than my Thin C strat. I think that all the fighting and hand stretching with my hands really has trained me to play complex chords and scales easier. Then again if you dont see any gains after sitting down with it then the next step is to find another baby (the guitar). I do agree that the American Vintage pickups do sound muddy and thin. But a nice set of PU's can change that! Good luck with your decision

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
There are far too many choices to try to stick with something you obviously don't like. This wasn't a cheap guitar, so you should easily be able to find something you'd prefer without spending more. I checked one these out at the local GC and liked the neck, but I'm a fan of bigger necks. I'm going to guess you might be much happier just running the racks for a regular American Standard. In fact, I bet if you could get your head around the MIM thing (a stigma for some) you'd likely be able to find a Classic Player 50s or 60s you'd like a whole lot more. Some of those feel, sound, and look amazingly good, for half the dough, and have nice hardware and pickups (Classic Player, NOT Classic series). Decide with your hands and ears and you won't go wrong.

Trending Topics