1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why don’t I like Strats??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by markl, Apr 25, 2019.

1. markl

markl Member

I love to listen to great players play strats - Jimi, Clapton, SRV, and plenty of current guys like Oz Noy and Eric Gales. I especially love the clean and slightly broken up tones. Was just listening to SRV’s Lenny and love it. Bright, dynamic, just great.

I’ve tried Strats, mostly the MIM offerings from fender, and never liked them. I currently own a G&L Legacy and it’s ok. I much prefer playing my Standard Tele, my PRS Singlecut, and my Gretsch. Plenty of bright single coil sounds there.

I find this perplexing and really WANT to like a strat or s-style guitar.

So, should I keep trying? Or just accept that it’s a great sound but not one I seem like making myself?

Gurn, marmar, jrjones and 4 others like this.
  2. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

What don't you like? The sound or the feel?

One of the hurdle to over come, coming from a tele or LP style is getting use to how much weaker the pick ups are.

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Funny... I pretty much ONLY like strats! :dunno

4. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

Sell the G&L.

Seriously, I know it sounds stupid, but just try being without it, wait until you miss it and if that happens, there you go, now you like Strats and hopefully get to find out why, and if not, go buy something else.

That's what happened to me. I used to hate Strats with an unreasonable passion, I did love a lot of music made with them, but they didn't serve a purpose to me, I couldn't make music myself with them, they felt weird and sounded awful in my hands.

Then a stupid cheap one came up near me, which I knew I could clean, set-up and flip for twice the price, and so I did. I regretted that sale instantly.

A while later another one just like it at the same stupid price came up, and I bought it, breaking even and ending up with a free Strat, only this time I let the thing be what it is, and instead of trying to make it do the same things as the Les Paul or Tele, I just let it do its thing, and that's when I figured out Strats. Now I just love that stupid guitar.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

There's no replacement for a Strat neck p/u through a sweating amp.

6. 67super

67super Member

Pretty much all I play. When I was young I played Gibson's mainly but I bought a Strat in 1990 and never looked back. I currently have 6.

7. portobear

portobear Member

My philosophy is play what you like and don't worry about what you don't like.
    Plenty of great playing and great sounding guitars out there.

8. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I grew up playing Gibsons. One day I bought a Strat and played only Strats for 20 years. Then one day I didn't like Strats any more. I do own 2 Teles now but most of my guitars now are either Gibsons or other brand set neck guitars.. I have moved to semi hollows now for the most part.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

It took me 20 years, to get into Strats. They can be harder to dial-in. I've gone through Tele and Gretsch phases. I now only play Strats and PRS guitars. I've switched to models that have similar necks, Strats with a 9.5" radius and PRS with 10" radius, Pattern Regular necks.

Johnny Ninefingers and jens5 like this.
  10. abracadabra

abracadabra Member

I have the same problem with Les Pauls

11. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I've got 1 "strat" in my collection (its a squier bullet, so not a real strat, but whatever) and I rarely play it. I'm ok with strat tones, but I HATE the control layout on them.... vol knob too close to bridge/strings, so I always end up hitting it by accident and turning myself down or off.... selector switch in an annoying place too.... I've got a Dan Electro Danoblaster that has the strat style pickups and knobs, but has the selector switch on the "lower horn" sort of position... that actually helps a lot, though the vol knob is still in the same god-awful location. Never have that problem with my SGs or my LPs or any other guitar... lol

12. markl

markl Member

The feel in my hand is ok. So it’s the sound. Sounds harsh, kind of metallic, ugly.

Broomz likes this.
  13. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

I know this feeling well. I love what other people do with Strats, and I'm not averse to the looks, but for some reason they never feel quite right to me. I've owned everything from Squiers up to Fender Custom Shop models, but I always end up selling them. I keep trying, and maybe I'll eventually find one that feels right, but maybe not. So I shrug, figure I'm just not a Strat guy, pick up a Tele or Jaguar, and move on.

Page of Cups likes this.
  14. markl

markl Member

Perhaps this is my fate as well.

When I got back into electric guitar several years ago I tried a lot of strats and just couldn’t make one work. Bought the G&L on a whim when GC had them on sale. Never play it.

I still have the first tele I bought and it always feels right.

But I feel like I’m missing out on a lot of sonic possibility without playing a strat.

15. Laketta

Laketta Member

I think more people have problems with them, something to do with the arch top.

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I just bought another Strat two days ago. I’d owned and sold or given away three previously and have been without a Strat or. Tele for about two years.

In that time, I realized that I like Strats, but only ones that are sufficiently “stratty”.

I still prefer humbuckers and Super Strats, but when I want that characteristic chime and quack, well, I gotta grab a Strat for that.

17. Antmax

Antmax Member

My meager experience of cheap strats is the pickups usually aren't great. MIM was a bit wimpy, VM Squier has the top end cut slightly by copper shielding around the sides of the bobbin. Single coils are also somewhat noisy which can be irritating and get in the way of enjoying the tone. Recordings usually don't give you that single coil hum. but if you like tele's that's probably not the problem.

My guess is it's mostly the pickups and whatever mojo that combination of parts might be missing in it's natural tone. My VM was one of my first guitars and has gone through several iterations of partscasterness. Roasted Warmoth neck changed the tone a lot. Tex Mex pickups were great, Bohemian Rhapsody came out and put me in a queen phase so I put a BHM pickguard and Brighton Rock pickups. That sounds pretty sweet too but I guess it isn't truly a strat now. I'll probably buy another body and build another strat out of the parts I have left.

Strats just seem to have some lively sparkle I don't get out of my humbucker guitars. So I always have one in my guitar collection.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  18. wannabeatle

wannabeatle Supporting Member

I agree with everybody who says there are plenty great guitars, so if strats aren’t for you, that’s okay.
    But I also found that strats were particularly hard to dial in so all 5 pickup positions sound good, if you’re used to a 2 pickup guitar.
    Running your amp hot helps to get closer to the iconic strat tones of the players you mentioned.
    I also found moving the 2nd tone knob to the bridge helped me in getting my tone bright enough for the neck pickup to sound good, but not too harsh when switching to the bridge.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  19. markl

markl Member

Good advice

Johnny Ninefingers and Honch like this.
  20. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

If it's any consolation, there are lots of people who don't like strats. Don't worry about it. Play what sounds good to you.