Why don’t more people talk about Vivian Campbell?

BlackSG91

I guess Vivian Campbell is an underrated guitarist in some ways but I sure do love his Kramer Nightswan series of guitars. I love this Nightswan Aztec with the ping-pong dot inlays. It also has double JB pickups...ebony fretboard & I think this one has an R1 nut?:huh Btw...below is Chris who is and has been a devoted musical disciple of Vivian. Chris is also known as 'Grasshopper'.:bow

81mOS5vwt0L.jpg

750-KNSAZMBF_angle.jpg

Last edited:

SSS

Dio picked him because his playing was a bit old school compared with the LA players. He can shred with the best of them but seems to have a feel or bluesiness a lot of 80's players lacked. Some people like that, others like pure shredders I guess, maybe that is why he isn't mentioned much?
Amazingly he was only 19 when he joined Dio. The album he did with Riverdogs is worth a listen, very different to Dio but his playing is as tasteful as ever.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member

RicOkc

He's a great guitarist and really stood out during his stint in Dio, but since he joined the guys in Leppard he's been more in the background.

Rick Lee

Yup, his current gig is what takes him out of that conversation. And that's not a knock at all on Def Lep or Phil Collen. Everyone knows Vivian can shred with the best of them. I'm happy to see him in a very well-paying gig. Seems like a really good guy who's paid his dues and whose chops have always been top notch.

Mudder

Silver Supporting Member
Campbell is great but always seems to be in someone else’s band, like Doug Aldrich or Reb Beach. All awesome players.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
We've discussed Vivian a number of times before.

Wonderful player but he was much like a dozen or more guys around the same time.

Wyatt Martin

I have a hunch more people "see" him today than would if he wasn't in Def Leppard.

As a fan of his Dio days I have to admit he made a very wise career move joining Def Leppard. He can break away and play clubs now because he wants to and not because he has to and probably doesn't have to carry anything much heavier than a guitar pick to his gigs.

Without Def Leppard it's hard to say if he wouldn't have disappeared from music altogether 30 years ago.

evildik

I don’t know. Personal preference I guess. His playing stands out to me above most of the players of that era. I prefer his work over the guys I mentioned in the initial post. I’d say the only players I enjoy as much or more from that general style are EVH, Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, & Nuno a little later on.

I agree that a big part of him flying below the radar is likely the Def Leppard gig where he’s taking second chair behind Phil Collen.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom