Why don’t more people talk about Vivian Campbell?

Raimond

You gotta be Foolin’.
Here’s a Photograph to prove it, Are you getting it?
19D35840-F193-4877-BC80-ED12486294CD.jpeg

Misterbulbous

Here’s a Photograph to prove it, Are you getting it? View attachment 488213
You’re bringing on the heartbreak, but ima gettin’ it.

Seriously though, I was listening to Last in Line (song) a few days ago and had kinda lost sight of how much energy Viv put in his solos. Usually seemed to kick out a tempo about 2% higher than his comfort level with those Gary Moore licks. I liked him a lot and loved that competitive fire he seemed to have when an interviewer would mention Yngwie.

Just seemed like he contributed nothing to DEF Leppard - as far as I know.

stevel

My god. I’ve been revisiting some Dio lately and I think he’s at least at least in the conversation with guys like Lynch and DeMartini when talking about great players from that era. However, it struck me that I almost never hear his name come up.

I always love these. I really really really hate to break this to you, but Dio just wasn't as popular as Ratt or Dokken. Sorry. I know it seems odd if you're a Dio fan, or Viv fan, but that's why you don't hear his name come up as much as these others.

Rob G

I really enjoyed Viv in his Dio days, it was clear he was a big Gary Moore fan.

I liked his band The Riverdogs but it seemed like a step backwards creatively joining Def Lep?
But then I'm sure from a financial pov it made a lot of sense.

Hefalump

Loved his stuff with Dio.

Not same level as evh, rr, lynch, demartini...but tasty licks never the less.

Kevy_Metal

Vivian Campbell’s name always seemed to come up in the guitar magazines when I was first starting to play, so I knew of him, but for some reason, he never really connected with me until that first Riverdogs album.

That was the moment where I kinda when “Oooooh, damn” and realized what I’d been missing.

subst0

His time in Dio is closing in on 40 years ago, and after Dio he went on to do sideman work in Whitesnake and then Def Leppard. Not much to talk about really. He was talked about plenty in the 80s, so I don't think he is underrated or overlooked.

He was rocking this week

I wouldn't mind seeing the Last in Line band if they come around. I missed a chance to see them 3-4 years ago. Always liked the original lineup.

vadsy

Silver Supporting Member
You’re literally a page and a half into a thread titled about someone and you couldn’t bear to even google him.

My guess is they know but taking a couple of cheap shots because they don't like the music or genre. It isn't worth it to engage them types

Trending Topics

Top Bottom