Why don’t more people talk about Vivian Campbell?

R3deemed

We actually were talking about Viv a week or so ago:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/vivian-campbell.1938329/page-5

I really liked his with work with Dio. I just don’t understand how anyone could find fault with it. Someone in that other thread suggested his sound was over-processed. I never felt that was the case, but it’s subjective I guess.

I just think he became something of a hired gun going to Whitesnake then Def Leppard. He seemed to be just filling a hole in both bands.

I’m glad to see him in the Last in Line project. (Love Vinny Appice!)

vadsy

Silver Supporting Member
4897-19426.jpg

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
There was a time Vivian was at the top of the heap. Perhaps it’s lost on many but along with Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and Yngwie. He had a unique picking technique which I studied in detail. He had grown up playing mandolin from what I recall. Unique player as were many during the time.

JukeBoxRat

Silver Supporting Member
If you haven't heard it and like that kind of thing, Vivian and Lou Gramm had a band called Shadow King that put out one album in the early 90s. Just a touch heavier than Foreigner, but similar AOR styled rock. That was my first introduction to Mr. Campbell.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
There was a time Vivian was at the top of the heap. Perhaps it’s lost on many but along with Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and Yngwie. He had a unique picking technique which I studied in detail. He had grown up playing mandolin from what I recall. Unique player as were many during the time.
What was it? It seems to me he relies heavily on hammer ons and pull offs...

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
What was it? It seems to me he relies heavily on hammer ons and pull offs...

for me, it was his right hand picking technique. At the time he had an extremely versatile picking technique. Today I don’t use a plectrum at all. Mostly I play flamenco. But back then his right hand was had extreme dexterity and versatility. His left hand technique was much the same as anyones Considered good at the time. his right is what set him apart what you hear as hammer one and pull offs were more often every note being played struck by the pick. Unlike Eddie’s mostly hammer on and pull of technique. Single string runs and lines with alternating picking are one thing. But Vivian would do multiple string runs sometimes skipping strings still hitting every note and picking every one. may not sound like a big deal today. But back then only guys doing that were the likes of Benson and Dimeola. Vivian’s technique came from years of playing folk and traditional mandolin. The only way to get more efficient than that is to use all your fingers on the right hand as in flamenco or classical.

Last edited:

TonyBony

This is what drew me to Viv when I was a kid in the 80's. So many players back then got a lot of their speed from legato where Viv picked everything. I think he listened to a lot of Gary Moore who did the same. Viv really changed up his style later and incorporated more hammer ons and pull offs later so he sounded more fluid. You can hear this starting on Sacred Heart. For me, Holy Diver and Last in Line were Viv at his most intense. I remember seeing Dio at Monsters of Rock in Nuremberg in '84 and I was transfixed by Viv and that Charvel with the skulls.

Last edited:

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
You’re bringing on the heartbreak, but ima gettin’ it.

Seriously though, I was listening to Last in Line (song) a few days ago and had kinda lost sight of how much energy Viv put in his solos. Usually seemed to kick out a tempo about 2% higher than his comfort level with those Gary Moore licks. I liked him a lot and loved that competitive fire he seemed to have when an interviewer would mention Yngwie.

Just seemed like he contributed nothing to DEF Leppard - as far as I know.

Sometimes you take a job because the pay is good and end up staying a while because it's actually a good job. That's my take on why Viv has remained in DL for so long.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Its not often I hear people talk about ANY guitarists. Ohhh. Oh. The other day someone was talking about how badass Shaun White was. That was my big chance:"He plays guitar you know." Total look of disinterest from my friend a few moments pass where he doesn't seem to know what to say. Me: sigh,"yeah he is a badass snowboarder"

M138

100% Fenriz Approved
Are you? Do you know everyone in the music industry? Don't be so condescending.
It's baffling how you were technologically savvy enough to find and join TGP but typing 'Vivian Campbell' into a Google search is seemingly beyond your ability.

SoulTrip

Viv just never had that 'it' factor to me. The tone was thin to my ears, and the playing - while good - was never next-level. Dio was the sum of its parts with the exception of Dio himself (who could sing a dryer instruction manual and captivate).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom