Why don’t more people talk about Vivian Campbell?

Steadfastly

It's baffling how you were technologically savvy enough to find and join TGP but typing 'Vivian Campbell' into a Google search is seemingly beyond your ability.

I guess you're not that hard to baffle. ;)

I thought the OP would be kind enough to tell me. I'm not all that interested, to be frank.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
for me, it was his right hand picking technique. At the time he had an extremely versatile picking technique. Today I don’t use a plectrum at all. Mostly I play flamenco. But back then his right hand was had extreme dexterity and versatility. His left hand technique was much the same as anyones Considered good at the time. his right is what set him apart what you hear as hammer one and pull offs were more often every note being played struck by the pick. Unlike Eddie’s mostly hammer on and pull of technique. Single string runs and lines with alternating picking are one thing. But Vivian would do multiple string runs sometimes skipping strings still hitting every note and picking every one. may not sound like a big deal today. But back then only guys doing that were the likes of Benson and Dimeola. Vivian’s technique came from years of playing folk and traditional mandolin. The only way to get more efficient than that is to use all your fingers on the right hand as in flamenco or classical.
Vivian never played folk or mandolin. Sounds like you're describing Andy Wood, not Campbell. VC also never really had very impressive chops compared to McAlpine, Vinnie Moore etc...Not even close.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Vivian never played folk or mandolin. Sounds like you're describing Andy Wood, not Campbell. VC also never really had very impressive chops compared to McAlpine, Vinnie Moore etc...Not even close.
The alternate picking thing is what I'm not getting. He even speaks about his legato playing being his strength because he doesn't pick all that well.

R3deemed

Maybe, maybe not, but I can listen to VC all day. Not so much with Tony or Gary. That may be more of a commentary on me, but hey… I’m not taking anything from them.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The alternate picking thing is what I'm not getting. He even speaks about his legato playing being his strength because he doesn't pick all that well.
Yeah he's more of a "brute force" picker, can pick fast, but not with much precision.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe, maybe not, but I can listen to VC all day. Not so much with Tony or Gary. That may be more of a commentary on me, but hey… I’m not taking anything from them.
I'm replying to Voodoos post, I think he's thinking of someone else. I'm a huge fan of VC myself, but he was never a "shred" guy, just a super solid hard rocker with lots of fierce energy.

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member

Popped up on my YouTube. Still looking for the episode featuring one of Vivian Campbell’s guitars.

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
Vivian Campbell’s name always seemed to come up in the guitar magazines when I was first starting to play, so I knew of him, but for some reason, he never really connected with me until that first Riverdogs album.

That was the moment where I kinda when “Oooooh, damn” and realized what I’d been missing.

I dunno about Vivian Campbell, but I would LOVE to hear Randy Blythe sing some Def Leppard tunes!!!!

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I always love these. I really really really hate to break this to you, but Dio just wasn't as popular as Ratt or Dokken. Sorry. I know it seems odd if you're a Dio fan, or Viv fan, but that's why you don't hear his name come up as much as these others.
From the arenas I saw Dio pack for his first three solo albums I'd say he was just as popular as Ratt and more popular than Dokken . Dokken never had a US arena tour of 14k venues in the 80s. I still dig all three bands

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I guess you're not that hard to baffle. ;)

I thought the OP would be kind enough to tell me. I'm not all that interested, to be frank.

But comment you did, so there's that.

Vivian Campbell, if you haven't learned by now, is a guy. He's had a very respectable career in music. Everything else you need to know is easy to find via a Google search, etc...

Steadfastly

But comment you did, so there's that.

Vivian Campbell, if you haven't learned by now, is a guy. He's had a very respectable career in music. Everything else you need to know is easy to find via a Google search, etc...
That's likely why I don't know who Vivian is.

i think vivian had some great phrasing and pacing which made his fast picking really stand out better than the high speed shredders who played all the fast notes, no contrast with the slower notes IMO

s2y

To those complaining about him in Def Leppard, he claims he was never paid much in Dio and doesn't get royalties. River Dogs and Shadow King didn't generate a ton of royalties. Got paid to tour with Whitesnake. He didn't write or record, so no royalties there, either.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom