Why Don't They Include an FX Loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wobegon, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Wobegon

Wobegon Member

I don't understand why companies don't include fx loops on more amps. It is a simple modification, and it adds a huge amount of functionality to the amp. Even higher-end amp companies like Soldano, Orange and Hiwatt seem like they can't be arsed to throw a pair of quarter inch jacks on the back of $1500+ heads and combos. I don't get it.

SOME PEOPLE LIKE DELAY AND NON-SPRING REVERB HERE. :(

2. somedude

somedude Member

I find it particularly irritating on the current lineup of channel switching lunch box heads. It's the reason I won't bother with them.

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

IMHO, Effect loops suck tone. I haven't heard one yet that doesn't.
    that may not be everyone's reason but that's why I don't use them.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It's not a simple mod if it's done right and if it's not done right it will negatively affect your tone.

5. shadesofgray

shadesofgray Senior Member

Because 99% of the effect loops out there are terrible, and will ruin your tone.
    So it's easier to just omit it.

The only effect loop i've found that doesn't mess with your tone is metroamp's zero-loss fx loop kit

Works with a variety of amps and doesn't require you to lower the voltage of the last gain stage

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

The less crap you have in the circuit, the purer the tone, especially when you're
    building a legacy circuit.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

What sucks is a delay pedal in front of a high gain amp. As I dont use an amp as a clean platform with pedals for dirt a loop its a necessity. I A/B my amps with 30 or so ft of cable and cheap pedals band without. The tone loss is minimal on most. Ironically my 1600$ Rivera is the worst as it doesnt have a buffered loop. No matter I just wont buy an amp without a loop. I suppose you could easily make both camps happy by making the FX loop switchable(takes it completely out of the signal path) Bob

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. dazco

dazco Member

The loop itself, unless it's a really bad design, doesn't suck tone as much as you might think. What sucks tone is the device you put in it. Theoretically, if the loop is good and you could find a device that is 100% transparent, it should be nearly if not totally unnoticeable.

But even when i use an amp with a loop, my much prefered method is DI out>effects>amp#2 with the effects set to wet signal only. (that would be a complete DI out, IE: speaker tapped DI) Zero compromise, a bit of a stereo effect, just better tone all around. And if you spend a lot of time and money trying to get the best tone, it makes no sense to compromise it even a hair by using a loop IMO.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

A good loop should have the choice of both series and parallel and have level controls. Not just a pair of jacks. A tube buffer would be really nice, too.

10. Unabender

Unabender Member

Preamp tubes used in guitar amps are crap in implementing buffers, but the resulting tone "loss" (distortion, mainly) is actually preferred by many. I guess a solid state buffered loop is too much of a stress for tube purists.

11. toneispower

toneispower Member

LOL :munch

12. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

Bingo!

13. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

:agree

14. shadesofgray

The problem is that 99% of the loops on the market are really bad designs.
    They lower the voltage of the gain stage before it and then pumps it up again after the loop

The only effects loop i've seen that doesn't lower the voltage between the gainstages is the metro fx-loop mod kit.

15. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Agreed. Plus, a reverb circuit would be nice.

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

suck tone.
    suck tone so bad.
    compare a slo100 with a loop and one without. so much tone suck.

17. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

If you love using the loop (like i do) there are ways to compensate for the tone loss if any. Boosters, EQs, Launch Pad, et al. There is some tone "alteration" with an fx loop...but there are ways around it, like anything else. Just my .02.

18. jhideout

jhideout Member

Are you guys saying that effects loops suck tone even with nothing plugged in to them?

19. shadesofgray

Yes, for the love of god, yes. Unless the loop has a 'true' bypass switch it will suck tone even if nothing is plugged into the loop.

Most amps do not have a true bypass switch for its effectloop.. The only one I know of is the Vox custom classic-series.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My tone has gotten the life sucked out of it all the time for the last 20 years or more -I get by just fine. All that really matters is if it sounds good to me. Bob