Why don’t we use our dominant hand for the neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pax, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

It seems strange to me that a right-handed person, for example, doesn’t use their right had for fingering the neck position. Seems the work on the neck is more complicated and requires more dexterity, but we use our less dominant hand for it. I know there are exceptions, but in general that’s the way it works. Didn’t know if you knew why.

2. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

I've always thought the picking hand needed more dexterity and was more intricate and difficult to master, and that the fretting hand was more of muscle memory. Maybe its just me though, not sure!

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Robert Fripp is left handed but plays right handed. Therefore his strong hand is on the neck. Don't know how that affects his playing.

5. Agitator

Agitator Member

This is it. Also, your picking hand has to be in time, whereas your fretting hand just has to be in place some time before the note is picked.

6. Pax

You may be correct. I know the picking hand can get very complicated, but when you first start you're usually just strumming chords. Why not start the other way?

7. Agitator

Agitator Member

It's the timing. See my comment above.

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I'm a left hander playing guitar right handed. Great for Blues bending, but I always have had to work extra hard to be able too increase my picking speed.

9. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

Me too...but i'm just a hack:bonk

10. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    I'm a lefty playing right - most of you haven't heard me play so that may be an indication I'm handicapped by that...

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

being a good guitarist is all about the picking/muting hand. seeming like a good guitarist is all about the fretting hand...

12. Pax

Ah, of course, the timing. So much of playing well starts and ends with that.

13. Pax

Love it! :rotflmao

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

+1

I just took lessons as a kid from a right handed guy who had messed his right hand up in a fireworks accident, so we focused mostly on the left hand. It isn't supposed to be that way. The right hand is the one that requires all the focus, not the left. I've been trying to catch up on the right hand ever since.

15. Conisewer

Conisewer Member

Wow, I am really surprised at all the guys that are left handed and play right/vice versa. Very odd to me. And I had no idea that Fripp played like that.

16. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Partial list of left handed guitarists who play right -

Duane Allman, Ritchie Blackmore, Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Rik Emmett, Robert Fripp, Noel Gallagher, B.B. King, Mark Knopfler, Gary Moore, Steve Morse, Joe Perry, Paul Simon, Chris Rea, Danny Gatton and Mike Bloomfield.)

17. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

My left-handed son started playing when he was 8. I bought him a right-handed guitar and just showed him how to play right-handed; I figured it would be easier to play other people's instruments and buy guitars (assuming he gets the bug). He never noticed any problems and it seemed natural for him.

18. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I'm a lefty playing right handed. My right hand is the weakest part of my playing and takes a lot of work. I started playing when I was 10 and my teacher started me out with a right handed guitar which stuck, I guess. I sometimes regret it when I'm struggling with my right hand.

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I am right handed playing right handed and my right hand is the weakest. My left hand flies but my right hand holds it back. Lots of trouble relaxing.

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Another lefty here who plays righty...I think it's fairly common since that's how virtually all instruction happens. When I was real young I would mime guitar playing lefty but when I took a couple of lessons I change that tendency real quick..my Dad, who is a lefty but doesn't play will pick up a guitar of mine and turn it upside down!