Why DON'T you like Dimarzio pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1973Marshall, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I see a lot of Dimarzio hater-ation out there. Heck, last time I had DMZ's in an LP I felt like techs scoffed at me like I was out to lunch for using them. Never get this reaction with any other brand.

Why?

2. giannifive

giannifive Member

I personally don't understand the Dimarzio hate---they're very good pickups. Perhaps it's because they're not boutique?

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I think it's because people associate them with 80's metal

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'll answer.

I find them 'sterile'. That's not bad, nor good, but it's not the tone I personally go for

5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I'm a fan, and even more of a fan since getting into Andy Timmons, that's a tone I can get behind

6. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I think it is the Dimarzio branding. Dimarzio hung his hat, lock stock and barrel, on the shreddy, hair-metal kind of style and aesthetic. Neon colors, over the top sound clips, chicks in metal outfits, dudes with their billowy satin shirts open. It is 20 years since that vibe has been cool, and it gets more and more corny and dated every day.

Now, Duncan's marketing is fairly atrocious and clumsy as well, and totally confused and dated in its own way. But it has been built on a branding style that has better mileage--Duncan is about vintage, and their website and sound clips and aesthetic are pedestrian enough and basic enough to not really get in the way. Seymour Duncan the man has such a good reputation as a nice guy who knows his stuff, and he reinforces it with the Antiquity series and other pickups (The 59 buckers, 54 and Broadcaster Tele pickups, etc.). Duncan is about authenticity and relative accuracy, and it is a lot harder to make that dated and corny in a market that reveres the tone and sound of guitars made in the 1950s.

Now, I really like the Dimarzio pickups I have played, and I have a bunch of Duncans as well. They are equally good. I'm just saying that branding and marketing is very powerful, and I think both companies, who used to be the biggest games in town for pickups, will become increasingly squeezed from the top from companies like Lollar and Voodoo and Fralin (and on and on) and from the bottom by companies like GFS. I see hard times for both Dimarzio and Duncan on the horizon, and it really will be their own fault, though I think they both make solid pickups.

7. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Tom Scholz did ok with one in his Les Paul. I mean, he musta made a bazillion bucks off those Boston albums. What I've come to realize in the internet era is, how mis-informed and ignorant many guitar players and gear gurus are with silly myths about all things guitar related. I'd classify much of this stuff below old wives tales. Sorry for the rant!

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I've been using them since i bought my first PAF from an ad in guitar player mag back in like 76 or so....still use the HS series pickups in my strat.

i endorsed EMG in the 90s, and Larry has never forgiven me. :banana

but i still love him anyway.....he's one of a true originals in the biz, and still makes great pickups.

9. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Amen.

10. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Those Dimarzio Virtual Vinatge pups are great. Just because they don't carry a boutique price tag don't mean they suck.

11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I agree. I hear the name Dimarzio, and I still think shredder guitars. But I've still bought Dimarzios in recent years and been very happy with them...the Area series among the top.

They make some good pickups IMO, though I do tend to favor Duncans in that relm.

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I've liked some Dimarzios I've tried (their single-coil sized rail humbuckers kick the crap out of Duncans IMO), but I'm more familiar with the Duncan line, so that's where I tend to "live" when I'm not going "boutique" (the Dimarzio line just has way more breadth than the Duncan line). I'm rather annoyed that, because of Dimarzio, I can't get double-cream pickups from other manufacturers without jumping through hoops. That certainly takes my view of the company down several notches, but that's nothing to do with the actual quality of their pickups.

-Austin

13. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

+1!

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think Nashville Slim said it all.

Don't underestimate the power of image when choosing a guitar pickup. Once you tell someone you put Dimarzios in the guitar, they are liable to trample you trying to get out the door. At least those guys had their day in the sun, I guess.

15. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

16. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

The 36th anniv PAF's are awesome, I dare you to try them...

17. Captain_Morgan

Captain_Morgan Member

I like DiMarzio better than Seymour Duncan. But to me both companies seem to slightly over wind their pickups. But that might just be me.

18. Lance

Lance Member

Whew! I thought I was the only one left on this planet who had HS pups in their strat. Glad to know I'm not alone. Yeah, I really like' em. I just ordered some Area T's for me Tele too.

19. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

They were the first to offer replacement pickups. Then Seymour Duncan came along with "better" pickups and then another guy and another guy until you got the Jason Lollars and Don Mares of today. Dimarzio are perceived as the old guys that everybody improved on.

20. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I think the DiMarzio Area '58 Strat pickups are very, very good. Like the Pro '54 as well.