Why Don't You Like Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by digthosetubes, Jun 4, 2008.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

If you don't like 'em why not?

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

They're just not my favorite in the low end. I like a lot of articulation that seems to be missing with 'buckers, especially in chords with a lot of close voicing.
    I use Fralin P-92s, which give me that note definition along with a sweet high end, the power to push the amp when I want to, and no hum.

3. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Because P90's exist.

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

For me, they tend to be too thick and take up too much space in a mix.

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Well played. :AOK

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Humbuckers ain't humbuckers. There's a lot to choose from. Everything from low output PAF replicas (which are often pretty clear) to distortion types and even EMGs (=lots of tops). Having said that I do like the articulation of single coils which you don't get with most passive 'buckers.

7. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I don't dislike buckers, really, I just love single coils for their immediacy and clarity in a huge sonic range.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

End of story. ;)

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Same here.
    They also sound dark & muddy compared to single coils.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

What everyone else said so far ... but I do have a humbucker in the bridge of 2 HSS strats for higher gain tones. I don't think you can touch single coils or P90s for clean and mildly overdriven tones. When the gain gets into classic rock territory and beyond I like the smoothness of humbuckers (or P90s) more than single coils.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

depends.

I'd HATE them in my strat, I'd probably be okay with them in a tele, I LOVE them in my PRS and my Godin...

depends on the guitar. (but I am also quite NOT the P90 fan... I guess I'm the only guy around who doesn't dig them... yet...)

12. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

But single coils sound so bright, thin and wimpy:stir :D
    I'm actually a humbucker guy, I just came to see what reasons there were. I love good P90 or tele tones though.

13. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Humbucker guy here too, but appreciate a good noisy woody single coil too..

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For the longest time I didn't much go for humbuckers. The usual reasons, most of all being lack of clarity and definition in comparison to my favorite single coils.

Now, as I'm bonding with a really fine set of humbuckers, in the right guitar ('66 ES-335), I'm realzing it is possible to find clarity and detail in H/B pickups. Not only are most HBs wound too hot for my taste ... it seems I respond more to hollow and semi-hollow HB tones, the airier side of things. It was just a matter of finding the right pickups, guitar and wiring/pots/setup.

I still generally prefer single coils, but the hums are working their way in.

15. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

There's a hollowness to the tone of singles that I really like in the right applications, but for the most part, I am a humbucker guy. I have SD 59s right now, but the neck is muddy and I dislike it.

16. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I have a set of bursbusters in a Gary Moore Les Paul that I purchased.
    These are my first foray into the world of humbuckers.

Man. These pickups are powerful compared to any of the single coils I have, whether Alnico, Ceramic or "Samarium Cobalt."

Add in the sustain of the LP body and I get the idea why so many folks like LPs, certainly for rock kinda stuff and blues.

The burstbusters, I believe, are much closer to a the single coil sound than the typical humbuckers found in a Gibson Les Paul.

17. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I don't really dislike humbuckers, but I do agree that they can sound muffled or muddy, especially on a solid body guitar played clean. For example a Les Paul totally clean just sounds spongy and sonically limited to me. Now on a hollow body they can sound pretty nice clean.
    I just love the clarity of single coils (including P-90s), the air, the fuller frequency range. I also don't care at all about the hum generated by pickups.

18. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I don't dislike them. I've had some really nice sounding humbucker guitars but when I used them I only liked how they sounded with the volume and tone knobs wide open.

With a P-90 or a tele single coil the variety of sounds you get by adjusting the knobs is so much more usable, IMO.

19. stratlad

stratlad Member

Different tools. Some HBs are muddy - which is why you need to get good ones and match them with the right guitar. My LP R7 is not muddy but is obviously thicker than a strat. However I recently played in a jazz gig with the LP and it was perfect - the strat would have been inappropriate in that particular setting.

I also have 2 Strats and a p-90 guitar - I like em' all.

Humbuckers can be finicky, but if you get good ones they do their own thing quite well.

20. amc

amc Member

I DO like Humbuckers as well as P90's
    In fact, almost every time I get a P90 guitar, I eventually switch to Lollar minihums
    that can be split for even more tonal diversity.