• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

why hadn't I tried an OCD??

Eastgate

Been using a Timmy for low gain stuff and been looking for a Medium gain OD. Ordered and sent back loads of pedals but never tried an OCD due to the you tube demos sounding fuzzy and muddy, ( to my ears at least) . Every shop I rang bar none said I should try one when I told them what I was playing and the sound I was after so reluctantly I ordered one.
Got it through the post today and within 20 seconds of being plugged in it nailed the sound.
I don't need to tell u about the sound, u know it already.
I suppose this post is 2 fold, a: don't trust your PC speakers on YouTube demos and b: The OCD rocks

subendo

It really is great for that low-gain, "tickle my amp" kind of tone. Been using it for years. For some reason, I keep trying to find something more "boutique-y" to replace it but nothing comes close to that sound.
Congrats on finding what you were looking for!

NewDr.P

ive owned 2 and the joyo ultimate drive. its very close to what i was looking for but i prefer the xotic sl drive. although i prefer amp distortion to anything so i barely use any dirt pedal, really.

nightrain

For low amp-like gain I've never found a better OD than the OCD. (using the V7, which I like so much better than the V4 I had)

Eastgate

Playing at home volume so really can't push my amp like I would love to, rely on pedals to do my work. SL drive might be on my list, that's another pedal that sounds rubbish on the demo's but everyone raves about

NewDr.P

Playing at home volume so really can't push my amp like I would love to, rely on pedals to do my work. SL drive might be on my list, that's another pedal that sounds rubbish on the demo's but everyone raves about
i agree, the demos are mostly horrible sounding. something to keep in mind, but theres certainly nothing wrong with the OCD. im glad youre enjoying it.

2HBStrat

Been using a Timmy for low gain stuff and been looking for a Medium gain OD. Ordered and sent back loads of pedals but never tried an OCD due to the you tube demos sounding fuzzy and muddy, ( to my ears at least) . Every shop I rang bar none said I should try one when I told them what I was playing and the sound I was after so reluctantly I ordered one.
Got it through the post today and within 20 seconds of being plugged in it nailed the sound.
I don't need to tell u about the sound, u know it already.
I suppose this post is 2 fold, a: don't trust your PC speakers on YouTube demos and b: The OCD rocks
I totally agree. For me the OCD, for what it does, is the best pedal ever.

paaes335

I bought a used v3 OCD in 2010 after trying my son's, hasn't left my board since. It's my go to lead pedal for punch through solos. I had an all instrumental gig last summer, just myself, bass player, and drummer the OCD was amazing! We did Santana, Hendrix, Clapton/ Bluesbreakers, some originals, had a Texas 2 Step for low/medium gain and switched to OCD for high gain. It felt like I was playing through a cranked amp more than a pedal. There's a good site somewhere (pedalarea.com I think) that explains what makes the OCD different from most dirt pedals and compares the different versions.

CDP

I demo'd an OCD at GC a few years ago through an Egnator combo. Wasn't impressed, didn't purchase. This fall I demo'd a few overdrive pedals, through a VOX AC15...
The OCD was by far the best, and I purchased. Hasn't left my pedalboard since, and completely shines through my Mesa and/or my Rivera. A great great OD pedal, I'm still wondering why it was so blah through the Egnator combo that day.

windwalke9649

I had an OCD for about a week, I just didn't like it all. I found it a bit harsh, and a bit thin sounding in added too much treble. I find the Timmy to be a bit then if I try to use it alone is in overdrive. Using as a boost however is awesome.

jordane93

I was using an OCD for about a year and a half and loved it. I replaced it only because i wanted something lower gain. I've never had problems with it and loved the medium gain tones i could get from it

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't gel w/ me or my rig for some reason -- ended up using an OD-3 for the same concept in my setup (grit/grind/amp-pusher).

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've learned that over time my tastes and my amps change, so something that didn't work a year or two ago maybe the killer pedal now. In that vein, I'd get the Joyo Ultimate Drive when it comes on sale for $35 (oh wait, I DID do that) and put it on the shelf for when I'm trying out a bunch of ODs with a new amp. I don't want the OCD badly enough to pay the $100 for a real one, but having the option works for me.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
IMO the OCD is one of the best at what it is intended to do. Push and amp harder and add some gain if needed. I find many people that don't like the pedal are trying to use it into a clean amp and use the pedals gain cranked up for dirt. At least in my experience , that's not where it shines.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom