Why has the THD Hotplate been discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blue Tile Fever, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

As far as i can tell it was by far the most popular attenuator out there, so why cease production of it?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  3. dbx

dbx Member

Ha...interesting, just did a quick survey of the popular online retailers and they are all showing discontinued. I thought Ed deGenaro answered a similar thread that they were still in production.

Maybe he'll chime in here...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I just spoke with Andy Marshall last week. They are still being made but they are now selling direct.

5. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I just checked their site and they do have a "Shop Now" link that says they fire off the order to the closest stocking dealer, which helps local businesses.

That's a cool idea IMO.

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Pure speculation, but perhaps they're posturing for a better profit margin, or a cost reduction to the end user. Who knows, could be any number of reasons, or multiple. I too would be surprised if they are indeed ceasing production. It's a popular device and a lot of big timers use it so I'd be inclined to think it's a decent product. The *only* negative I've heard about it is that it's good down to around -12 db, but affects the tone a bit at anymore than that. If that's the only negative, I'd think they'd be okay as I doubt that many people are sitting around trying to play their 100 watt stacks at whisper volumes. ;)

7. LPVM

LPVM Member

They are built like tanks. The only downside is they don't have selectable impedance. When I want to run at volume lower than -8db I set it to load and remap my head through a power amp. It doesn't have any negative effect on the tone that way.

8. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

You can use it with different ohm settings ... It is explained in the manual. I do it all the time. I would guess THD like a lot of company's are changing the ways they do things because of the economy.

9. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I had one, and like the Marshall Power Brake better because the THD colored the tone way more, especially on the higher attenuation settings. Looks pretty though.