• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why hasn't anyone built a small box exact replica of DL4's looper?

Auxjoel

Geeze, I bought a minty, used DL-8 a few years ago for less than the price of Joyo. I'm sorry to say I have to even try the looper feature. I set it to a sweet, modulated delay and have not adjusted the knobs since.

Guess I'll have to give the loop a twirl soon.
Did you mean DL4 or are you referring to a Digitech DL-8?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Really? Even in Step Speed mode? Smooth speed is indeed impossible to quantize, but Step Speed even with just the knob or expression pedal is totally accurate to octaves and fifths for me, forward or reverse.
love it as i do, there are 9 additional notes beyond Octave, 4th & 5th, to start.
EDIT:
.....and, they're all good & useful notes when played at the right time, each one of 'em! i swear on it. i promise.

Last edited:

Auxjoel

This whole discussion has got me thinking about the MXR Clone Looper again, has anyone used it with the added external switches? How close does that get to a DL4 workflow /user experience?

InkblotNebula

I'm curious - have you played one with the added external tap switch?
I haven't even touched one. I was super excited when I saw it, and then saw how the controls work. It is clearly targeted at people who want to loop a riff and do some overdubs. That's fine for a lot of people, but I like looping for the noise/drone crap. The MXR really wants to keep you on rails and make everything happen in time. Overdubbing doesn't start until the beginning of the loop for example. My biggest gripe is needing to hold down the knob/switch for 3 seconds for reverse. They kept the tap/double tap feature from the DL-4, but it toggles 3 speed settings, instead of two like the DL. So it messed up reverse for the small number of people like me that turn reverse on and off somewhat frequently.

You can also plug in a second ext. switch for play once if you didn't know. And you can cancel play once so you can do some stutter tricks and not have the loop stop at the end which is pretty cool.

Having to manually delete the loop kind of sucks too. But these are my personal gripes. A lot of people could have a hell of a lot of fun with one, it just depends on your application. It's just dissapointing that all of the features are there, they just aren't implemented in the way that made the DL-4 so immediate and fun to use.

Auxjoel

I haven't even touched one. I was super excited when I saw it, and then saw how the controls work. It is clearly targeted at people who want to loop a riff and do some overdubs. That's fine for a lot of people, but I like looping for the noise/drone crap. The MXR really wants to keep you on rails and make everything happen in time. Overdubbing doesn't start until the beginning of the loop for example. My biggest gripe is needing to hold down the knob/switch for 3 seconds for reverse. They kept the tap/double tap feature from the DL-4, but it toggles 3 speed settings, instead of two like the DL. So it messed up reverse for the small number of people like me that turn reverse on and off somewhat frequently.

You can also plug in a second ext. switch for play once if you didn't know. And you can cancel play once so you can do some stutter tricks and not have the loop stop at the end which is pretty cool.

Having to manually delete the loop kind of sucks too. But these are my personal gripes. A lot of people could have a hell of a lot of fun with one, it just depends on your application. It's just dissapointing that all of the features are there, they just aren't implemented in the way that made the DL-4 so immediate and fun to use.
Oh so it takes a fair bit of "wait time" with your foot down before reverse kicks in? That's not great. Sounds like the knob that doubles as a footswith would get some battering too, I can't imagine it would last long the way I'd want to use (jumping in and out of half speed and reverse a lot)

InkblotNebula

Oh so it takes a fair bit of "wait time" with your foot down before reverse kicks in? That's not great. Sounds like the knob that doubles as a footswith would get some battering too, I can't imagine it would last long the way I'd want to use (jumping in and out of half speed and reverse a lot)
Yes, exactly. It'll always be a three second wait for reverse.

I have MXR's reverb which uses the same kind of button/knob combo. It feels durable, but it is not meant to be a footswitch. It's an low cost way of making those features available for people that want to use it as a songwriting tool and don't mind bending over sometimes. You would definitely want the switch to ape DL-4 tricks.

tktk

Probably this, or... ?

It looks interesting, but it's a phrase sampler looper, right? More like the EDP? Don't know, but "press and hold" to change parameters is a hard pass for me, and taking only one exp? Sigh.

What I'd like to do is just like what Bill Frisell was doing with his EHX 16sec delay back in the 80s. "Always listening function" is a must feature. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's just a long delay with a bypass (mute wet) switch though, so it just simply repeats what you play even after you bypass it, but then you can unmute and hold it going back at the delay time length you set beforehand. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, my English sucks as much as my understanding of these looping machines. :oops:
And, hopefully with more flexible controls; e.g. 3 exp (speed, feedback, delay time) and a reverse fsw, etc like David Torn does with his PCM42. There should be so much more possibilities with modern tech.

Last edited:

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
Geeze, I bought a minty, used DL-8 a few years ago for less than the price of Joyo. I'm sorry to say I have to even try the looper feature. I set it to a sweet, modulated delay and have not adjusted the knobs since.

Guess I'll have to give the loop a twirl soon.
Apart from the 30s normal looper you can also set it for the max delay time and play it as an 8s sound on sound style looper. Give it a try.

tktk

Yeah, I just asked about the PCM42 pedal on youtube and he said we would hear more later this year.

Tajnost

no, there's a pedal variant on the Lexicon PCM-42 coming in pedal form; Loupé is its own thing, based largely upon the EDP w/LoopIV software/firmware.
incredible news, especially if it mimics the sound quality and workflow of PCM.

Trending Topics