Why hasn't Xotic made a full sized SP Compressor?

Overdriver18

I like my SP comp a lot but I wish that they made the same compressor in a full size so i don't have to open it up to get at the tone controls and the attack toggles.

Obviously there's a handful of other good options in terms of 4 knob Ross style compressors, but I'm surprised Xotic hasn't made it. Maybe other people aren't bothered as much as I am about the internal controls and Xotic hasn't gotten many people asking for this.

Abram4235

I never thought about it, but it is a good idea. Alchemy does a mod to put the switches on the outside. I've seen it available on ebay. Forgot what the price is though.

Edit: just looked it up, it's 50 bucks for the mod.

Overdriver18

I never thought about it, but it is a good idea. Alchemy does a mod to put the switches on the outside. I've seen it available on ebay. Forgot what the price is though.

Edit: just looked it up, it's 50 bucks for the mod.
Having the switches on the outside is a good compromise, but ideally I'd like to have a full potentiometer range for attack and compression at least. I feel like Xotic would completely control the compressor market in that price range even more than they do now if they had a full size version, they're already widely respected on par with the boutique names here and the SP is widely available and already proven popular.

JRobbLITZ

That's honestly the reason I didn't purchase the Xotic compressor... I opted for the Wampler Ego and couldn't be happier, but if Xotic had a full sized compressor available for a little less $$ I may have gone for that instead.

Couldn't agree more with your original post though, they would have the compressor market by the nads if they made a full-size compressor as well. Maybe they're listening..

Abram4235

Having the switches on the outside is a good compromise, but ideally I'd like to have a full potentiometer range for attack and compression at least. I feel like Xotic would completely control the compressor market in that price range even more than they do now if they had a full size version, they're already widely respected on par with the boutique names here and the SP is widely available and already proven popular.
I agree. The switches on the mod stick out enough to cover the width of a full size pedal anyway. Would be nice to have full control with pots rather than 2 position switches.

Overdriver18

How would that be any different, or better, than a Wampler EGO?
Could probably be sold for cheaper. Normal Ego is $200 where I'm seeing, and Mini Ego is 180. SP Comp is ~130 and most of the 4 knob Xotic pedals (even the newer RC Booster v2) are less than 170.

30 dollars less for a pedal that some would argue sounds and looks better as well as being easier to obtain, I think that's a pretty good advantage.

Glitch Magnet

I agree with OP. Seems a natural move. I haven't played the SP, but some demos I've heard sound almost magical. Unfortunately for me, from what I've read, the SP is probably noisier than I can tolerate. I'm using an Empress now, and even that's noisier than I'd like.

But yeah, SP in an RC box would rule.

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
Was communicating with Xotic support a bit back about new dirt offerings on the horizon.
They intimated that some redesigns may be on the table.
Granted, was asking about dirt stuff though........Who knows.

MoonshineMan

That's honestly the reason I didn't purchase the Xotic compressor... I opted for the Wampler Ego and couldn't be happier, but if Xotic had a full sized compressor available for a little less $$ I may have gone for that instead.

Couldn't agree more with your original post though, they would have the compressor market by the nads if they made a full-size compressor as well. Maybe they're listening..
That's exactly my scenario, with the same pedals and same result.
Didn't Wampler just go the opposite direction with his Mini Ego?? Or are all the controls still on top?

JRobbLITZ

How would that be any different, or better, than a Wampler EGO?
The Ego has controls for attack, sustain, volume, tone, and blend all on the top, while the Xotic just has the 1 knob... I like to have more control of the sound, therefore Ego > Xotic
EDIT: If you meant how would the Xotic differ from the Ego, like OP said it would be price and performance. If the make as good a product for cheaper I'm all about it.

That's exactly my scenario, with the same pedals and same result.
Didn't Wampler just go the opposite direction with his Mini Ego?? Or are all the controls still on top?
The controls are still on the top, only difference is a fixed tone switch and a fixed attack switch. Looks cool, would still take Ego mini > Xotic

diego.fresh

Has anyone seen or looked into a way to change the compression level from a 3 way toggle (LO-MID-HI) to a potentiometer?

CaprioM85

My assumption is that most of the people who happen to have this compressor want a set and forget Tone sweetener, with a smattering of people, like you, who want to change things on the fly. No problem either way, but they may not have seen enough want to make another version yet.

diego.fresh

My assumption is that most of the people who happen to have this compressor want a set and forget Tone sweetener, with a smattering of people, like you, who want to change things on the fly. No problem either way, but they may not have seen enough want to make another version yet.
I would agree with that and I am also looking for a set and forget, but would also like to be able to dial that one setting in more granularly. Like maybe between the Low-Mid or between the Mid-Hi....

CaprioM85

I would agree with that and I am also looking for a set and forget, but would also like to be able to dial that one setting in more granularly. Like maybe between the Low-Mid or between the Mid-Hi....
I absolutely agree. I had the SP and loves it except for only being able to set 3 modes for attack. I wanted more cersatility. Probably overshot the Mark with the Cali76-cd, but it definitely did the trick. I can see an SP large format selling, but possibly not as well as they would need to expect to make it happen

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Xotic makes great stuff, but the SP is not exactly at the top of the heap in the compressor race when compared to the Wampler mini, I think Keeley has a mini 4 knob. And the Pigtronix philosophers Mini looks very promising. If Analogman were to ever venture into smt, the internet might shut down.

Trending Topics